How long for TFN, Medicare and Bank Cards

fergal007

Hi all just looking for some general info for time frames experienced by people applying for their Tax File Number and receiving it , registering with Medicare and receiving their card, and opening a Bank account and receiving the ATM card.

The reason im asking is im planning a Reccie trip just before Christmas and want to sort all this out before i return to the UK in the New year, I have Vic SS so i will be staying and applying for all the above items in Melbourne, just staying in a cheap hostel for a maxim of 2 weeks as i want to head to Sydney and Brisbane to visit friends before flying back here. I plan to apply for the above items the day i land, jetlaged or not :biggrin: which will be the first thing on a Monday morning 19th of Dec

I would love to hear other peoples experiences and timeframes, Cheers :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Hi all just looking for some general info for time frames experienced by people applying for their Tax File Number and receiving it , registering with Medicare and receiving their card, and opening a Bank account and receiving the ATM card.

The reason im asking is im planning a Reccie trip just before Christmas and want to sort all this out before i return to the UK in the New year, I have Vic SS so i will be staying and applying for all the above items in Melbourne, just staying in a cheap hostel for a maxim of 2 weeks as i want to head to Sydney and Brisbane to visit friends before flying back here. I plan to apply for the above items the day i land, jetlaged or not :biggrin: which will be the first thing on a Monday morning 19th of Dec

I would love to hear other peoples experiences and timeframes, Cheers :biggrin:

Hi fergal,

My TFN came through in a about 10 days, Medicare I went to the office and was issued with a temporary card until it had been processed so that was immediate.

I cant help with Bank accounts and cards, I took on my husband's account but from reading on here, if you open an account in the UK, your account and bank cards are waiting for you on arrival... Other members should be able to advise you accordingly.

Good luck

Susie x

Yep, can open bank account before arriving - I filled in the online form for NAB, took less than 10 minutes and got confirmation with account number within 48 hours, followed by an invite to make an appointment to get our cards on arrival. Can already pay in funds if we want! Will do medicare and tax stuff the same day if possible, the first working day after we arrive.

Hi fergal,

My TFN came through in a about 10 days, Medicare I went to the office and was issued with a temporary card until it had been processed so that was immediate.

I cant help with Bank accounts and cards, I took on my husband's account but from reading on here, if you open an account in the UK, your account and bank cards are waiting for you on arrival... Other members should be able to advise you accordingly.

Good luck

Susie x

Thanks for all the info Susie , you state that you had a "temporary card" issued for the Medicare but when did you receive your proper card? I have seen that i can open a bank account prior to my departure to Australia, and for the bank to have my cards ready in the bank that day would be fab.

What forms of ID did you have to present at the bank to collect your cards? Did you need something with a postal address with your name on it? Sorry for all the questions, the reason i want to sort these 3 items out ASAP is that i want to export my car to Vic in September 2012 and need theses 3 items as proof of my intent to Migrate, which i fully plan on doing in Sept 2012. Also i can hopefully roll straight into a job TFN and Bank account details ready at hand!

My address will probably just be a Backpackers for the duration of my brief holiday and Reccie trip in December, really all i need is an address where the stuff can be posted to and where i can pick it up.

I see your in Tassie Susie, im hoping to get over there for a few surf sessions at some stage, cold water, sharks and ruggedness , bring it on :)

Yep, can open bank account before arriving - I filled in the online form for NAB, took less than 10 minutes and got confirmation with account number within 48 hours, followed by an invite to make an appointment to get our cards on arrival. Can already pay in funds if we want! Will do medicare and tax stuff the same day if possible, the first working day after we arrive.

Hi Paisleylass, cheers for the info :) When do you plan on arriving in Oz? If its before this Christmas, please let me know how long the Medicare process takes till you get your permanent card. I dont think im going to have much of a holiday if i have to do all this running around LOL!! more like a working one :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Thanks for all the info Susie , you state that you had a "temporary card" issued for the Medicare but when did you receive your proper card? I have seen that i can open a bank account prior to my departure to Australia, and for the bank to have my cards ready in the bank that day would be fab.

What forms of ID did you have to present at the bank to collect your cards? Did you need something with a postal address with your name on it? Sorry for all the questions, the reason i want to sort these 3 items out ASAP is that i want to export my car to Vic in September 2012 and need theses 3 items as proof of my intent to Migrate, which i fully plan on doing in Sept 2012. Also i can hopefully roll straight into a job TFN and Bank account details ready at hand!

My address will probably just be a Backpackers for the duration of my brief holiday and Reccie trip in December, really all i need is an address where the stuff can be posted to and where i can pick it up.

I see your in Tassie Susie, im hoping to get over there for a few surf sessions at some stage, cold water, sharks and ruggedness , bring it on :)

Hi Fergal,

To be honest as soon as you have registered with Medicare you are eligible to use the system. The actual card arrived a week or so later for me. I obtained the temporary Medicare card thus enabling me to register with Medibank Private. A very simple process!

Regarding the bank accounts and cards, as I stated I took on my Australian husbands accoutns and cards so I cant comment... someone will be along shortly to help you on that score.

Regarding ID, having an Australian driving licence is a wonderful form of ID. As soon as you have activated your visa then you can apply for your TFN on line, another simple process.

Yes I am in Tasmania, and I am sure you will enjoy the surfing, the only sharks I see in my vacinity are the gummies and that suits me down to the ground.:biggrin:.

Susie x

Hi Fergal007

We arrived in melbourne in June and had to go through TFN,Medicare and bank account joys!

TFN: you can apply online as soon as you arrive and we receive the letter with the number approx a week later.

Medicare: you can go to a Medicare centre (there are plenty around in Melbourne) and got our cards in the post approximately 10 days later.

Bank: we opened the account with NAB from the UK but they did mess up our cards so we did not get them till 2 weeks after arriving - but I think we were just unlucky. I'd suggest make sure you email them a week before you arrive to request your card to be ready - you need then to turn up in the branch specified in the email with your passport.

Hope this helps,

Hi Fergal,

To be honest as soon as you have registered with Medicare you are eligible to use the system. The actual card arrived a week or so later for me. I obtained the temporary Medicare card thus enabling me to register with Medibank Private. A very simple process!

Regarding the bank accounts and cards, as I stated I took on my Australian husbands accoutns and cards so I cant comment... someone will be along shortly to help you on that score.

Regarding ID, having an Australian driving licence is a wonderful form of ID. As soon as you have activated your visa then you can apply for your TFN on line, another simple process.

Yes I am in Tasmania, and I am sure you will enjoy the surfing, the only sharks I see in my vacinity are the gummies and that suits me down to the ground.:biggrin:.

Susie x

Cheers for all the info Susie :biggrin:

Hi Fergal007

We arrived in melbourne in June and had to go through TFN,Medicare and bank account joys!

TFN: you can apply online as soon as you arrive and we receive the letter with the number approx a week later.

Medicare: you can go to a Medicare centre (there are plenty around in Melbourne) and got our cards in the post approximately 10 days later.

Bank: we opened the account with NAB from the UK but they did mess up our cards so we did not get them till 2 weeks after arriving - but I think we were just unlucky. I'd suggest make sure you email them a week before you arrive to request your card to be ready - you need then to turn up in the branch specified in the email with your passport.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Gaskit for all the info, did you have to show anything that proved your Australian address ? as im just planning on staying in a Backpackers for about 2 weeks in order to sort the above mentioned stuff out!

Hi Paisleylass, cheers for the info :) When do you plan on arriving in Oz? If its before this Christmas, please let me know how long the Medicare process takes till you get your permanent card. I dont think im going to have much of a holiday if i have to do all this running around LOL!! more like a working one :biggrin:
Hello! Yep, we arrive early November and will probably be like headless chickens from landing heheh! We have a short holiday in LA on the way out, though I imagine the 14 hour flight from there to Brisso will leave us a bit frazzled (not to mention an entire day disappearing overnight, eek!).

It's more the house hunting for longer term I worry about - a lot of rentals appear not to be available for a month from start of viewings, maybe we should book more than 4 weeks in short-term!

That said all of this should be a breeze after preparing to leave - house ready for rentling, getting rid of junk, packing for shipping and for travel! Arrrgh!

Hello! Yep, we arrive early November and will probably be like headless chickens from landing heheh! We have a short holiday in LA on the way out, though I imagine the 14 hour flight from there to Brisso will leave us a bit frazzled (not to mention an entire day disappearing overnight, eek!).

It's more the house hunting for longer term I worry about - a lot of rentals appear not to be available for a month from start of viewings, maybe we should book more than 4 weeks in short-term!

That said all of this should be a breeze after preparing to leave - house ready for rentling, getting rid of junk, packing for shipping and for travel! Arrrgh!

Have you a family to bring with you? Im sure its a bit more stressful when there is a few people to consider. Im just going on my own so it makes things a bit easier!

Im just hoping to rent a room in a house near the GOR really for a while till i find my feet and then take it from there. I don't plan to fully migrate there till Sept 2012 , but accommodation seems to be a bit of a hassle according to people posting on this :(

Are you bringing much stuff with you? Seems from this best to bring white appliances , bedding and bicycles and sports clothes and Bannans!!! LOL!!! to name a but a few things! Have you lived in Australia before? I was there for a year in 2003 , but having spoke to a few people that live there now, its got a lot more expensive suppose everywhere is expensive now! :(