Guest Gunshow

Becoming a father, leaving England and buying a "family car"

Guest Gunshow

So, my visa came through last week. Really excited about the move now. Presently raining outside in London. On the 22nd floor of an office in Canary Wharf with phenomenal views over the city. It has recently been really sunny which has invoked slightly nostalgic impulses as I look over my beloved city and try to take in the sights and remember all the fun things I have done here. However today it is raining and i am happy because this turns my mind's eye towards sunny Brisbane <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 22.2pt; HEIGHT: 22.2pt; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1028"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\TEMP\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>:biggrin:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

This time last year I had just bought my dream car (white BMW 325 Coupe), was living in a 1 bed flat in Chelsea with my beautiful Australian girlfriend and was working in a quality job. Four months into that dream and Mrs Gunshow walks into the bedroom "I'm pregnant!" <v:shape id=Picture_x0020_2 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 22.2pt; HEIGHT: 22.2pt; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1027"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\TEMP\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> :huh:Fast forward a year and the car is gone, the flat is gone, i am married, I am leaving my job next week and in 8 weeks we shall be leaving England (and the Premiership <v:shape id=Picture_x0020_3 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 22.2pt; HEIGHT: 22.2pt; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1026"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\TEMP\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>:cry:) to fly to Australia. A lot has changed in that time. Baby Gunshow is due in 3 weeks or so and I am very excited about becoming a father and giving her the opportunity to grow up in such a fantastic country. <o:p></o:p>

Anyway, enough waffle. I am now looking for a family car and i know this has been posted on A LOT but I am still getting over how expensive cars are. Not only have I been relegated from the Premiership of BMWs to the second division that is Toyota or Ford, but I effectively will be trading in my Eva Longoria for an Oprah Winfrey. Bad times!<o:p></o:p>

So lads (or ladies if you also love cars), my question is, what did you USED TO drive before the sprog/s came along and what do you drive now? <o:p></o:p>

Please feel free to use the hot chick, not so hot chick (or ladies, the hot fella (I have heard women like Hugh Jackman, Will Smith etc), not so hot fella ("Toady" off Neighbours comes to mind, Shane Warne etc)) analogy. This might make me feel a bit better about having to "ride" Oprah for the next 18 years <v:shape id=Picture_x0020_4 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 22.2pt; HEIGHT: 22.2pt; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\TEMP\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>:nah:<o:p></o:p>

Also, don't have the foggiest about family cars so this will help me decide what to buy. At the mo, I am leaning towards Rav4, and OLD 3 series, and OLD Merc C200, Nissan X trail, Ford Escape or a santa FE (tough these are pretty ugly). In England I would also consider Land Rover Freelander but I think I read somewhere to avoid these like the plague in Aus.<o:p></o:p>

Cheers guys (and gals!?)....<o:p></o:p>

Gunz<o:p></o:p>

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz.

We have travelled throughout Australia with this little number and it was great for the triplets, quite a practical car was the Trabant.. unfortunately they do hold their price!

profimedia-0010989227.jpg

Congratulations on fatherhood, we down graded to a Toyota Landcruiser lol

Susie x

Mmmmm sympathise on the car front.. My baby is my 335D Msport Bmw Coupe (will well give your 325 a good thrashing :laugh:) my hubby drives a freelander 2 for his commute & he has a motorbike. Now my plan WAS to sell my beemer & buy an old 4k or so 4x4 jeep for chucking the dogs in & getting me out & about for winter (I'm in aberdeenshire & the beemer just doesnt do snow whatsoever) & getting myself a wee toy.. like a 2nd hand Lotus exige or the likes BUT now we've decided to try our best & get over to Oz we'll probably have to rethink & be a bit more clever with our decision. We are just starting so prob atleast 18-24 months away from moving so in next 6 months may trade in my car for something a year or two newer (mines 2007 or 2008 ?) and worthwhile to take over with us.

Also all 3 of our vehicles have private plates.. just the 300-500 quid each ones but I dont know what we'll do with them (ie if we could keep them incase we come back) Will be a bit gutted to loose them as they are all more or less the same bar a number or 2.

My first car was a 1978 MG Midget, it was left to me by my late father and was a lovely car. However, once hubby and I got married and had a baby, we bought a Rover 25 and a Vauxhall Zafira.

Fast forward a few years and I have a Ford Territory and hubby has a Holden Calais. He uses his car to and from work. My car is our family car. I like the Ford. Had it for two and a half years and have had no problems. It has seven seats (useful for taking family out when they visit), two of which fold down for boot space. Two car seats go in the back easily, when I want to put my foot down goes really fast and I have a good stereo in there for playing Foo Fighters to drive to! All that matters to me really.

Congratulations on the baby!

Guest guest37336

Never been a great one for cars, A to B and all that, but my pride and joy was the one pictured below. Special order from Thailand, still have it, just a bugger to park is all. Plenty of room for the forthcoming family as well.

1tuktuktuk1.jpg

why avoid freelanders in Oz ? Just asking coz i was even contiplating trading my car in against a new freelander which would then only be a year or two old when we moved.

our babys just now (ps i find it sad that i'm thinking of a non fast sporty car.. I LOVE my cars since I no longer ride motorbikes after having the kids.. nothing better than getting out for a blast on twisty country roads though (DRY road with the beemer obviously LOL)

PS what is Oz like for speed limits/ strictness/ ability to get out for a blast ?

268593_10150706339190434_737470433_19870253_2517902_n1.jpg

267504_10150706335360434_737470433_19870180_6941267_n1.jpg

Never quite got the whole private plate malarky ?

Will miss my old Alfa though !

Download6-4-10.jpg

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

Guest siamsusie

We love our bikes Lynn, not too many coppers around our parts due to the cut backs:tongue:

well our private plates started with mine on the beemer, it was for my 30th birthday & the last 3 letters is hubby & my initials, then he decided he couldnt see green cheese & wanted one & he found the identical one to mine but with an extra 0 (easier for him to remember he said) then recently he got one for his motorbike.. just coz he thought having 3 nearly matching plates would be a bit posie !

Oh and ALSO apparently (according to hubby *rolls eyes*) if you take away the bottom part of the L at the start of his bike number plate you basically get 1400 which is what his bike size is.. of course I say you cant take away the bottom part of a letter so it was a rather pointless observation but impressed him non the less.. again *rolls eyes*

they always say on top gear your not a proper petrol head / car lover unless you've driven an alpha but i actually havent & always wondered why they say that.

well our private plates started with mine on the beemer, it was for my 30th birthday & the last 3 letters is hubby & my initials, then he decided he couldnt see green cheese & wanted one & he found the identical one to mine but with an extra 0 (easier for him to remember he said) then recently he got one for his motorbike.. just coz he thought having 3 nearly matching plates would be a bit posie !

Do you find other people are more abusive/road ragey towards you because of it ?

I remember all my reg plates since I was 16 and my parents one too, about 18 of them, none personal, what a geek eh ?!:wideeyed:

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

No LOL, why would they be ? Bearing in mind I also live in a small rural village of around 500 ish population 38 miles north of aberdeen so road rage isnt something encountered often... unless of course I am driving behind you .. I get BAD road rage esp with the slow brigade !

ps go back to my post where i explained about our private plates as i added an extra bit in that i'd forgotten about LOL

OMG I cannot remember a single number plate apart from my private ones.. hubby has a terrible memory for that sorta thing to & he often has to phone up & provide details of his car & plate when booking into a company car park in aberdeen.

Guest Guest31881
why avoid freelanders in Oz ? Just asking coz i was even contiplating trading my car in against a new freelander which would then only be a year or two old when we moved.

I have a Freelander, No problem with parts and I have a local mechanic who does my repairs, seems to be no expensive than another other car in that class. I do live a fair distance from the city and it can take a couple of days to get parts to me, but that is because of where I live.

Guest Gunshow

Yes, the 335. hmmm nice. Couldn't quite justify it with the rent in Chelsea and you never get over 20mph in Londonshire anyway so the extra power would be wasted down here LOL. Bet up in Aberdeenshire you have much fun throwing that around the open, sparsely populated beautiful Scottish countryside. On the plates point, my dad reckons those private number plates could be an investment (I argued that only worth what someone willing to pay for them). I got a mate who is like my dad and has bought a few plates that he thinks people will want. He has had them for a few years. I might be wrong but i am pretty sure he said that if you don't use them then you have to pay the DVLA a fee each year to keep the plate on the register. I think he said is was about £100 a year. You can definitely keep them though. Back on to the car, you'll need to have owned the car for at least 12 months before you can ship over to aus so if you do swap that bad boy 335 of yours something to bear in mind!!! If I had known about the move, baby etc. earlier i would have bought a Range Sport/Vogue and taken that over. Now it's too late to buy another car and ship it so i have to look into the Aus market.Sorry Sussie, that chitty chitty bang bang is very cute but I don't think it would get me to the end of the road, let alone to work and back every day lol.

So, any car suggestions anyone? I will probably for now spend about $10k, so the baby can puek everywhere and I won't have a heart attack, lol, with an eye to upgrading in a couple of years.

Been looking on carsales.com and also on discountusedcars.com. Any other good ones to check out? Or should I try and wheel a deal at a car lot?

Mrs Gunshow tells me we will defo need very good air con due to the heat in Brissy.

Ta

ps. Ford Territory, I will look into that one. Thanks. Any others?

pps. I think your new freelander will be fine. I read about a common problem with older ones in Aus, basically they end up being money pits. The newer ones are fine though from what I have read on the Top Gear review website.

ppps. my wife thinks private number plates are kitsch.....I think they are pretty cool. Still to convince her otherwise. Was thinking about Gunshow1 LOL. She has always been the classy one. must be my inner chav/bogan coming out LOL.

hehe 335 is magic, slip her into sports & waayyyhaaaayyy LOL, not sure about any of the other types as I've not tried them but the 335 would be RUBBISH in slow congested traffic, gets quite jittery in towns then when you do get to open road & put your foot down that stupid memory gearbox thingymabob gets all confused & can have a wee bit of a tantrum (but then its fine LOL)

Hubby said if we didnt take the cars over then i should look at the holden monaro ? just a vaux to me tho.

I guess you can always get a half decent ford & they're reliable, I used to have a st24 mondeo years ago & liked it.

Wondering what people over there think is better/more practical.. car or jeep ?

No LOL, why would they be ? Bearing in mind I also live in a small rural village of around 500 ish population 38 miles north of aberdeen so road rage isnt something encountered often... unless of course I am driving behind you .. I get BAD road rage esp with the slow brigade !

ps go back to my post where i explained about our private plates as i added an extra bit in that i'd forgotten about LOL

OMG I cannot remember a single number plate apart from my private ones.. hubby has a terrible memory for that sorta thing to & he often has to phone up & provide details of his car & plate when booking into a company car park in aberdeen.

Yep I guess your location rules out road rage except when sheep block the road :biglaugh:

You wouldn't get stuck behind me on those roads, my alfa may look rough but she sure does shift :cool:

Your bit about squinting at the plate, imagining bits not there, and then there are the folk that add extra "fixing" screws to join bits up makes me more anti-them I'm afraid - still can't see the point. It's just £1500 of plastic to me ! :laugh:

When I worked in a filling station as a youth I used to LMAO at the people that couldn't remember their plate even when it was a company car they'd had and filled up regularly for years :wacko:

Still you love your plates and good on yer, horses for courses !:wink:

jeezo ours were never 1500 each.. think all 3 would be less than that, i'd never let him spend silly money on them ! Its not sheep that causes road rage but bloody tractors GGRRRRRRR

not sure if its nationwide or not but i can honestly say i hardly know of anyone of personally & its more rare now to see non personalised plates on the road. Good thing is you always know who people are & even if you dont you can have a good guess.. black peugot goes up my lane.. no idea who the lassie is but I know her name must be Trish :biglaugh:

Guest Gunshow

srp/ lynn22 - I can't remember the specific problem, I just remember reading a few reviews and forming a mental note to self to avoid them, especially the 1999-2002 variety. I did a quick Google search to see if I could find the exact problem that was the root of my aversion. I found these sites, list quite a few things such as a 3 amigos problem, head gasket etc

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/usedcartests/208571/land_rover_freelander.html

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/LANDROVER/default.asp

if I can find the exact article that really turned me off I will post here for you. If you can find a good example though, as Srp seems to of done, then well done. Knowing my luck i would end up with one with every possible gremlin.

On that note, i would also be interested in hearing stories from people who have had a family car that has been particulraly reliable/unreliable?

And also, if there are any car dealerships in Queensland I would be well advised to avoid? Or that were particularly helpful and I should visit for a good service?

Thanks all.

jeezo ours were never 1500 each.. think all 3 would be less than that, i'd never let him spend silly money on them ! Its not sheep that causes road rage but bloody tractors GGRRRRRRR

not sure if its nationwide or not but i can honestly say i hardly know of anyone of personally & its more rare now to see non personalised plates on the road. Good thing is you always know who people are & even if you dont you can have a good guess.. black peugot goes up my lane.. no idea who the lassie is but I know her name must be Trish :biglaugh:

:nah: I meant for all 3, or it would be insane !:laugh:

Tractors and caravans down here too - GRRRRRR !

There must be more personal plates up there then, I see less than I did a few years back. I kinda like the anonymous side of a normal plate just in case I "accidently" upset someone !:unsure:

I know my hubby (who although in oil industry now was an army mechanic to trade so used to landies) would never consider a freelander 1 but he is very happy with his freelander 2. Me personally.. I HATE jeeps with a passion, just dont like em... most are ugly & horrible, spongy & high up to drive.. I like to be low to the ground with hard suspension & a sportier steering rack LOL. HOWEVER........ i actually LIKE to drive the freelander, it will corner very well at 60 mph without leaving you holding your breath & hoping for the best LOL, it drives very much like a car, very luxurious & extremely comfy inside (he's obviously got a highest spec model) & if i had to give up the "fun" car I'd be fairly happy making do with a freelander. (he did want a rangie but I said he was being pretentious LOL)

Before we bought the freelander we looked at mit warriers/animals/discoverys/toyo hilux & the likes & with the exception of the discovery which i just dont like the outside shape of the freelander knocked spots off the others esp on the interior (big style) Didnt look at ravs or crvs but know 2 people who used to have them (ok not the latest models) & they were very expensive to fix when they went wrong ESP the mother in laws honda crv.. shocking what it needed when it was only 2 years old & low miles.

Hubby also mentioned to me ford couga (?) jeeps get a very good write up & are supposed to be quite good on room/performance etc.

i should add i have a greyhound so need something suitable to put him in for days out/vets trips etc & funnily enough the 4 seater m sport coupe doesnt quite manage LOL

Do like a nice car myself, and luckily my husband and I share this, so have had quite a few in the last few years. Have one child, so have never let that become an issue for what car to buy! She has fitted in everything!

We are gonna ship a merc C55 AMG over in our shipping. Previous to this we had a TT, 3.2, but was a bit too small for our daughter! Also realised that we couldn't collect anyone from the airport with the TT either!

Mynhusbands favourite, which he sold, and now wonders why he sold was his M3. It was lovely, but with the scottish weather was rotten, also recently had an S3, R32, both of which I loved.

one of my favourites was my bmw mini. Did my daughter and I just great when she was a toddler.

We also have a wee work car, that we both share, and thats not coming! At the moment its a corsa, had an alpha romeo, which had the best interior, such comfy seats.

Adding up, think its about 15+ maybe 20 cars since we have been married.

Am sure it will not be the same when we move!

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

Nice Tdk.. I have driven my brothers s3 & love it, prior to that he had a gti golf & I loved that also & i've really enjoyed a shot of an r32.. just perfect I think. My hubby would very much like your amg, he's tried to sway me on them before now but if i'm honest the exterior look isnt for me. I was all set to trade my 335 in for an M3 but as you say.. its the winters up here & the length of them means a long time for a car to sit disabled in the drive. Hubby till recently had a wee fiesta ST for his commute car & he loved it (big kid) We are both also big fans of minis although prob more the retro ones which we had in the early days. (my first car was a diarrhoea brown 18 year old mini .. infact it was 1 year younger than i was at the time & had more rust than solid metal but it was an absolute blast LOL)

Defo a love of the german build quality for me.

Yep, seems to be the German ars for us too. This one will prob be our last though! Doubt we will be able to afford another!

We also have a private plate, thats on paper now. It was a 21st birthday present, but has cost us a small fortune since, swapping it from car to car.

Where do you live Lynn? Im originally from Forres, and trained in Aberdeen.

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

I'm in a wee village not far from Turriff, Forres is a nice looking place :)

What are you doing with your plate ? I guess keeping it is good if you return so would prob retain mine for a couple of years to see how it worked out down under for us.

It was lovely growing up there. Down in West Lothian now though. Have a good few friends still in Aberdeen, although not actually been into the centre of aberdeen in about 7 years.

How far on in the process are you? where you planning on moving to?