pet insurance

lynn22

suddenly thought in bed last night about pet insurance in oz. Currently here in UK my cat & dog are ins with pet plan insurance which covers everything minus the excess (and routine maintenence stuff like vaccs, dentals i guess etc) Is there decent pet ins over there ? I think I pay around 25 quid a month for my greyhound & 14 ish quid a month for my pedigree cat here in UK.

How do folks find vet care compared to uk ? (esp interesting for me as I'm a qualified vet nurse who has stayed at home with the kids for past 10 years but "might" have considered getting back into it)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Lynn you can use pet plan over here although you will need to take out a new policy. In regards vets fees they can vary dramatically so it is worth ringing around.

We looked at Pet Plan for our labrador but went with Prosure in the end, we pay $39 a month for mid level cover, it covers all vet visits (excluding annual vaccs obviously) and we pay the first 20% of any bill, its been good for us as little things like $80 eye infections we get some back, rather than there being a $200 excess. Also comes with a $500 towards paralysis ticks and a cruiciate ligament cover. We have had him insured for 8 months now and claimed at least 8 times (accident prone dog!) one claim was for $1000 becasue he sliced his legs open on some rubbish some idiot left in the park, sliced an artery! We have claimed enough back to basically cover the monthly premium for 2 years. WELL WORTH IT!!!

Just looked at their website & did a fake quote for max my greyhound. think I'd go for the platinum cover as its 100 dollars more than the gold but then you get 150 dollars back that you spend on healthcare treaments (vaccs, worming, dental etc)

oh me what type of dog is he ? yeah paying the 20% might work out better in some cases, I shall book mark prosure so I remember it. Mind you I'd be a bit worried if they only paid $500 towards a cruciate !

haha, he is a bumbling crazy mad labrador who is into everything and never stops!! :biggrin:

the $500 is for tick paralysis, cruiciate lig cover is in the thousands i think.