Hi new to site, heading to Perth!

HG3

Hi just joined the site yesterday and thought I'd say hello here and introduce myself!.

My husband, me and 2 children (5 and 3) have just applied for WA SS yesterday.

So we are waiting and hoping that comes back positive and then we can get the visa app in.

We are looking at the Perth area, maybe NOR but it is hard to get any perspective from over here about where to live. Obviously good schools, family friendly area are going to be important to us - but kind of have to wait until OH has job.

Looking forward to meeting people on here - it has already become more popular than FB - i am always looking for information!!!!

Helen:biggrin:

Guest Guest31881

Hi helen

Welcome to PIO, I am sure you will have plenty of questions and there are a lot of members who will be willing to offer help and advice. We also have a sister site for members who are looking at Perth and you may find it helpful to cast an eye over it.

http://www.perthpoms.com/

Guest iasaha

Hi everybody,

Myself, my husband and 2 sons have finally made the decision to try for our visas to move to Perth, Western Australia. We went there last year on holidays to visit my sister and her family who made the move 3 years ago and we fell in love with the place, to be honest I think we left our hearts there. My head is already melted reading up on the application process and I'm still none the wiser. To be honest I don't know where to start and we can't afford to apply using an agent so we are going to go it alone. All your help would be greatly appreciated as things have changed so much even since my sister applied.

Thanks for reading

Sandra x

Hi Sandra,

Congrats on making the decision to move downunder!

We decided last year Dec and started the ball rolling in March.

This is where we are:

1.Applied for ONE skills assessment 15/3, positive result recieved 14/7 Cost:

£356 plus £82 for certifying documents and getting academic transcript.

2. Did the IELTS English test (dont need to if you are on a british passport) on 2/4 Cost: £112

3. Just applied for VISA 176 online on 6/8, which is the sponsored one. Unfortunately on 1 July 2011 lots of the rules changed, and the prices went up too. There seems to be no advantage in going for the 176 visa compared to the 175 (independent). The pass mark is 65 for both. Cost was £2010

You will have to have your skills assessment result before being able to apply, so that is where to start.

Get your sister to fill in the sponsorsip form and send it to you along with her aussie passport copy and birth certificate (for proof of relationship) if you are going to go for the 176. All the documents they require can be attached online. You can either scan the originals in colour or certified copies in black and white.

Our next steps are:

1. Get penal clearance certificate (easy enough) Cost: 2x£35 + £70

2. Book our x rays and mediacal, cost? guess about £300

It may seem complicated now, but once its all sorted in your head, it really is quite straight forward.

Good luck,

Poppy

Hi, there. If you don't mind me asking (newbie) if there is no difference between the 175 and 176 visa, why did you take the 176 which ties you to 1 particular State/area? If a better oppertunity came around in a neighbouring state would that mean you have to start the process again? Eg: I'm a carpenter looking basically for a half decent wage and decent facilities for my kids. Melbourne and Adelaide are around an hour flight from one another but are in different States/areas.:arghh: If I was on a 176 SA visa I could not take a job in VIC and vice versa. Am I missing something? lol.

Thanks

Hi

My family and i are also heading to Perth on a 176 visa, WA SS applied for Tuesday last week (husband is electrician) Vetasses passed and IELTS score was 8.5.

The 176 visa is like the 175 but you must stay in your sponsored state for 2 years, the difference is the 176 is processed faster and takes priority over the 175 applications.

So if you want to go sooner go with the 175.

Hope this helps

Melissa

Hello,

The 176 is either state sponsored or sponsored by relative. We decided to go for the 176 as when we started the process, this one required less points than the 175, now its the same. Thought we just stick to that as we thought there must be some advantage to being sponsored by a relative, such as the processing time, even though website says 18 months for both. Thanks for confirming Melissa. It seems from reading this thread that people get their visas as quick as 3 months. That is an exciting and scary thought!!

Poppy

Hi I'm another new member hoping to get to Perth asap with my 12 year old son! Please can I ask Mellymop - how long did you wait to get your Ielts test results? I sat mine last week and am chewing my finger nails! Living in Kent at present but originally from Cleveland too! Small world!

Hi everyone - hadn't checked the site in a while and so pleased to see so many others heading out to Perth too.

OH is the main applicant and he has had his skills assessed, passed his IELTS (phew) and we have now applied for WA SS - these seem to be coming fast now so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Then we intend to apply for 176 asap!

176 for us as we are keen to get going- mainly as have 2 children 5 and 3 and feel the younger they are the easier it should be (or that is the idea)!

I am a bit panicy though as when you think about it there is so much to do!

In a mixed state today as had some negative comments from MIL this morning!:arghh:

Helen