register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest cholly

Is 5 points worth 3500 AUD??????????

Guest cholly

Could anyone please share from experiance if the more points you have the better it is.

My OH will be down as the main applicant for a 175 or 176.

The main question is that to get my skills assessed costs 3500 AUD, is this worth the money for 5 points when we are sitting on 70 points for 175 or 80 points for 176

Guest Guest 47403
Could anyone please share from experiance if the more points you have the better it is.

The main question is that to get my skills assessed costs 3500 AUD, is this worth the money for 5 points when we are sitting on 70 points for 175 or 80 points for 176

No as long as you hit 65 it makes no difference at all you won't get processed any faster, the only time it will help is after next July when you have to apply by an expression of interest like the NZ system.

Ouch! What profession's skills assessment costs A$3500? Mine was in the 500 range.

As long as you hit the 65 point pass mark, you're good. You don't get processed faster if you have a higher point total, or anything like that.

mine was nowhere near that for an engineering degree skills assessment.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Guest cholly
Ouch! What profession's skills assessment costs A$3500? Mine was in the 500 range.

As long as you hit the 65 point pass mark, you're good. You don't get processed faster if you have a higher point total, or anything like that.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. Only place i can find to do it is Vic uni and thats the price quoted.

was a bit gob smacked myself when i saw it

If the outcome is also an AQF Certificate III it might be a worthwhile exercise simply to make you more marketable in an employment sense - you would have a recognised Australian qualification as a consequence of the assessment process.

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com

Wow, thats alot of money for a skills assessment. I assume your OH had his skills assessed? If so, I dont think its worth it for the purposes of migration - maybe you could get your skills assessed afterwards or get a certificate of some sort - Im not sure of the position on this as I am not an engineer.

If you are concerned about the speed of processing, you'll be in a better position with the 176 SS, as I hear that they are being processed much more quickly. Check out some of the other posts here.

Maybe this post will help you if you havent already seen it: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/108893-aircraft-maintenance-engineers-tra-victoria-university-skills-assessment.html

JUNE 2011 ANMAC SA sent, FEB 2012 ANMAC SA issued, 11 MAR 2012: WA-SS app. sent, 20 MAR 2012 WA-SS granted, 2 APR 2012 176 lodged, 176 granted 14 MAY 2012

Guest zajckova

Isn't skills assessment necessary if you want to get a 176 visa? Can comebody explain.

Isn't skills assessment necessary if you want to get a 176 visa? Can comebody explain.

Yes it is. For any permanent residence a skills assessment is required and your occupation needs to be on the relevant list.

JUNE 2011 ANMAC SA sent, FEB 2012 ANMAC SA issued, 11 MAR 2012: WA-SS app. sent, 20 MAR 2012 WA-SS granted, 2 APR 2012 176 lodged, 176 granted 14 MAY 2012