Need help with deciding the best course of action concerning visa!!

Guest replica26

Guest replica26

Hey there guys!

My names Ian and Im a new member here.

I have a visa/immigration problem I need serious advice on. And from what Ive seen throughout this site, this is the place to get some straight up, reliable answers.

I currently live in Israel and I just finished a 6 month army service that I volunteered to. Im 23 and I own an Israeli passport only. I met my australian girlfriend online and we've been together for a year and 2 months. Over the course of the time we've travelled to Italy together (our first date :)) and she also came here twice, once for a week and second time for a period of 5 months. Living in my house, with my mom and my sister.

I love my girlfriend very much and we are the epitome of a serious relationship...and that shows even more so with all the obstacles in our way.

I now want to come to australia and live with her.

I dont know which visa is best for such a procedure.

Ive checked, tourist, student, De facto, prospective marriage and partner.

We are eager to get married, and are actually leaning towards the partner one but we figured if there is something else we can get before hand, then why rush it.

Problem is, we want to be together. We want to stop the whole distance and waiting, so whatever gets us to stay together first, we will do it.

My questions are...

what visa would you suggest we do (remembering that there are no rules here) so we'll be able to live together?

and is it possible to get married in australia while im on a tourist visa, and then apply for an onshore temporary partner visa while still in australia with her? Or will I have to leave and wait for approval?

Thanks a lot you guys.

I really do appreciate the help.

Ian.

Guest replica26

I have, but I am in israel now and they give me some mixed answer than what my girlfriend is getting in australia.

I can tell people know what they're talking about, plus Ive give my situation in details with hope that some people went through with something similar and they can tell me how it went and if the procedure was smooth.

Im looking for some answers, not for time wasting comments...so please, this is important.

Hey there guys!

My names Ian and Im a new member here.

I have a visa/immigration problem I need serious advice on. And from what Ive seen throughout this site, this is the place to get some straight up, reliable answers.

I currently live in Israel and I just finished a 6 month army service that I volunteered to. Im 23 and I own an Israeli passport only. I met my australian girlfriend online and we've been together for a year and 2 months. Over the course of the time we've travelled to Italy together (our first date :)) and she also came here twice, once for a week and second time for a period of 5 months. Living in my house, with my mom and my sister.

I love my girlfriend very much and we are the epitome of a serious relationship...and that shows even more so with all the obstacles in our way.

I now want to come to australia and live with her.

I dont know which visa is best for such a procedure.

Ive checked, tourist, student, De facto, prospective marriage and partner.

We are eager to get married, and are actually leaning towards the partner one but we figured if there is something else we can get before hand, then why rush it.

Problem is, we want to be together. We want to stop the whole distance and waiting, so whatever gets us to stay together first, we will do it.

My questions are...

what visa would you suggest we do (remembering that there are no rules here) so we'll be able to live together?

and is it possible to get married in australia while im on a tourist visa, and then apply for an onshore temporary partner visa while still in australia with her? Or will I have to leave and wait for approval?

Thanks a lot you guys.

I really do appreciate the help.

Ian.

Hello Ian and welcome to Poms in Oz,

I have applied for a partner visa (de facto) and I am from the UK. The requirements are that you must have been living as a married couple for at least 12 months, unfortuantely from what you have said you can't fulfill those requirements. You could (being under 30) apply for a working holiday visa for a year, then at the end of the year apply for this visa. You could also apply for a prospective marriage visa which would require that you marry and apply for the partner visa within 9 months of being in Australia. Unfortunately DIAC frown on people coming into the country with the intention of remaining indefinately. Therefore applying for the tourist visa then getting married is likely to cause an issue with immigration. Do you know where the nearest Australian embassy is to you? I would suggest talking to them also.

Sponts

Guest replica26
Hello Ian and welcome to Poms in Oz,

I have applied for a partner visa (de facto) and I am from the UK. The requirements are that you must have been living as a married couple for at least 12 months, unfortuantely from what you have said you can't fulfill those requirements. You could (being under 30) apply for a working holiday visa for a year, then at the end of the year apply for this visa. You could also apply for a prospective marriage visa which would require that you marry and apply for the partner visa within 9 months of being in Australia. Unfortunately DIAC frown on people coming into the country with the intention of remaining indefinately. Therefore applying for the tourist visa then getting married is likely to cause an issue with immigration. Do you know where the nearest Australian embassy is to you? I would suggest talking to them also.

Sponts

Thank you Sponts for your reply.

I do know where the Australian embassy is. I called them a few times but they always seem to be in such a rush that they're never really answering my questions properly.

I see what you are saying.

Unfortunately I cant apply for a working holiday since Israel is not on the list of the allowed countries.

What can be another possible course of action?

Can we get married outside of australia and then can I apply for a partner visa? And Im assuming with that comes the possibility of a bridge visa which allows me to wait in the country until they grant my visa.

Thank you Sponts for your reply.

I do know where the Australian embassy is. I called them a few times but they always seem to be in such a rush that they're never really answering my questions properly.

I see what you are saying.

Unfortunately I cant apply for a working holiday since Israel is not on the list of the allowed countries.

What can be another possible course of action?

Can we get married outside of australia and then can I apply for a partner visa? And Im assuming with that comes the possibility of a bridge visa which allows me to wait in the country until they grant my visa.

It is possible to get married outside Australia then apply for a partner visa, however, if you apply 'offshore' you must be 'offshore' at the time the visa is granted. This would be rather expensive, your partner flying to you, getting married, then applying for the visa and one or both of you returning to Aus. You could fly to Australia with her while the visa is being processed but you won't be allowed to work. You would then need to leave the country for the spouse visa to be granted. Can you not apply for the PMV from Israel? This would by far be the most sensible option in my opinion. Bridging visas are for bridiging from visa to visa whilst onshore. So for instance a bridging visa would be issued at the end of a working holiday visa if you had applied for a partner visa.

Guest replica26
It is possible to get married outside Australia then apply for a partner visa, however, if you apply 'offshore' you must be 'offshore' at the time the visa is granted. This would be rather expensive, your partner flying to you, getting married, then applying for the visa and one or both of you returning to Aus. You could fly to Australia with her while the visa is being processed but you won't be allowed to work. You would then need to leave the country for the spouse visa to be granted. Can you not apply for the PMV from Israel? This would by far be the most sensible option in my opinion. Bridging visas are for bridiging from visa to visa whilst onshore. So for instance a bridging visa would be issued at the end of a working holiday visa if you had applied for a partner visa.
Yes, I see what you're saying.

To be honest, the PMV was the ideal visa at first. But when I asked them about the requirements of it they were very clear that a major part of it is my ability to get a skilled job. And in all honesty, I am a musician. I do well music wise, but its not exactly a skilled job...the kind they are after. So it put me off....

PMV seems like a 50/50 chance of getting it.

The main point is, that Im tired of being in a different country from her. I need to find a solution to be with her which is why Im looking at all possible solutions.

So I suppose marrying in australia and applying for an onshore would be bad seeing how I probably would only be travelling on a tourist visa...or, another option...a student visa.

Any advice on that?

Yes, I see what you're saying.

To be honest, the PMV was the ideal visa at first. But when I asked them about the requirements of it they were very clear that a major part of it is my ability to get a skilled job. And in all honesty, I am a musician. I do well music wise, but its not exactly a skilled job...the kind they are after. So it put me off....

PMV seems like a 50/50 chance of getting it.

The main point is, that Im tired of being in a different country from her. I need to find a solution to be with her which is why Im looking at all possible solutions.

So I suppose marrying in australia and applying for an onshore would be bad seeing how I probably would only be travelling on a tourist visa...or, another option...a student visa.

Any advice on that?

Perhaps you are mistaking PMV for GSM? PMV (prospective marriage visa) does not require you to have a trade that is in demand whereas general skilled migration does.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Have a read of this.

Guest replica26
Perhaps you are mistaking PMV for GSM? PMV (prospective marriage visa) does not require you to have a trade that is in demand whereas general skilled migration does.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Have a read of this.

Interesting...

I should definitely check it again.

But Im pretty sure they were telling me all they did (the embassy) under the assumption of PMV.

Guest Lizzy099

Hey. From reading this through it seems that a Student Visa would be a good way for you. Even if you do a one year course it will give you the option to apply for a De Facto afterwards (or during seeing as you've been together already a few months) or you might be a skilled worker after the course (but you need to see what is considered to be skilled worker before you would choose).

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/students.htm -here is the Student Visa information.

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/skilled/occupation_list.htm -the Australian Skilled Occupations List (which you might want to have a look at before you choose a course).

Just from what your post says and the responses and your responses to those responses (if you followed that!) it seems like your a bit too unprepared for a marriage one.

anyway look through it. its another option for you!