Million questions to ask =(

Guest OzzieZ

Guest OzzieZ

Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to this forum and first of all I want to say hi to you all, your posts here are very helpful for us Ozzie wannabes!

I have couple(hundreds) of questons to ask and just share some thoughts with someone. I have some fears about whole moving process and I hope you'll bear with me for a bit.

My husband (28) and I (25)started with 175 visa process in June,2011. When/if we get our visa we are planning to go to Sydney given that we have several friends there. I have no dilemmas about moving to Oz, I've never been there before but I completely fell in love with the Ozzies (met some of them here in Croatia) and entire country (from what I heard) and I am really keen to go there. I know the whole process and waiting is looooooooong and I can live with that but I have couple of questions for anyone who is willing to answer them to help me sleep at night. :SLEEP:

Given the new rules from July 2011, and from what I heard/read on PIO forums, it seems that things are going rather fast now, compared to last few years. I know no one can say when will the visa be granted and I've read on DIAC site that time line for 175 visa is up to 18 months but I can see it took longer for many people. According to our situation (app.lodged June,2011, HR country, all docs uploaded except medicals and PCC, all fees payed, husband Mechanical Engineering Technologist - assesed at EA, 120 points total, both under 30 years, etc.) does anyone have any idea could it take 1yr or 2-3 yrs for our visa to be granted?! I know it's a million dollar question but I want to know when is more likely for that to happen.

This is important for us because we want to start our family. We're planning to have a baby in close future but not sure what to do now, should we have it here or in Oz. Is it better to go there just the two of us or with a baby? I know we shouldn't put our lives on hold but we are both working and don't have large wages, we are also subtenants, i.e. we don't have a house to sell when we get the visa so it means we won't be able to go to Oz with a lot of savings and if we have a baby now, we surely won't be able to put some large sum of money aside. This runs through my mind every day and I really don't know what to do. We know we're young and we have time for kids but according to visa time lines it may take up to 4 years to get visa granted..

Also, what if I get pregnant in Oz, would I have any maternity benefits? What about health care? What if I come with the baby in Oz, could our baby go to day care? How much does that cost and how old baby has to be to go there?

Also, could we manage on one wage in Sydney with a baby and rent?! We wouldn't need a big house or flat, just one bedroom apartment and safe neighbourhood... Lots of people are saying that Sydney is too expensive and that they struggle and I don't want my family to be poor. :no:

Also, I have a question about Medical exam for 175 visa, my husband's mother had brain tumor and colon tumor few years ago, which were both succesfully operated and under control now and my mother had breast cancer last year, also under control, my husband and I never had any health problems and luckily still haven't. However, I am concerned should we mention all of this on our med.exam once we go to it? I know we should be honest through the process but I'm afraid that this might put a black cloud over our application. :unsure:

I'm sorry for numerous questions it's just that I am desperate for the advices. I would ask our agent but he already thinks I am Miss Talk-too-much (you can see why) :chatterbox:

Thank you all in advance and again, sorry for this essay and my grammar mistakes. :wubclub:

Hi OzzieZ,

I can't help at all with any of the visa info you want as I didn't really plan staying more than a year in Oz when I came out on a working holiday visa...it just kind of spiralled.

In relation to having a baby, I don't think you can put your life on hold, so if you are keen to have a baby soon just go for it. I was 34 when I had my first baby (he is 8 months now) and I'm already feeling that I need to think about baby number two. Perhaps it would be good to start your family and get up and running before heading over here. It's a massive life change moving to the other side of the world and having a baby quickly after that might be putting yourself under a bit of strain. That said, maybe you would take it in your stride. You just need to think it through.

Having lived in Sydney, I know how expensive it can be. The reason we moved to Melbourne was so we could afford to buy a house and survive off one income as we wanted me to be able to stay at home for the first few years at least. I would have loved to stay in Sydney but for a family home in our preferred area of the Northern Beaches it wasn't really manageable for us. We considered the Central Coast but it was a bit much for my husband to commute into the CBD every day (although it is do-able).

As for day care, babies can go in from a very early age. The going rate around my way is $75 to $85 per day. I don't know if it's the same in Sydney. Some of this can be claimed back I believe and I'm sure other PIO members will know more about it than me. As for health care, so long as you are a resident you can use the public system. I had a public birth and I found my care really good on the whole. I had to pay to see a private obstetrician for my ante-natal care (this was due to my hospital being full on their midwife care program) but part of this I could claim back from Medicare. I had a private room and the hospital staff were great (apart from one nasty midwife..but hey there's always one!). There are some people that would never use the public system as they want to choose specifically the hospital, doctor, have a private room, some of these places are like hotels. If you are a resident you also receive the baby bonus (controversial as some people don't agree with it) of $5000 which is paid after the baby is born in 13 instalments. You may also be entitled to Family Assistance depending on your family's income.

Anyway, I hope some of that info is useful to you. Good luck with everything!

Guest OzzieZ

Thank you Kirsty! :wubclub:

Well, if you ask me, I would have kids already, I'm not much of career person and I love kids. My biggest concern are finances. I'm afraid that if we have baby now we won't be able to save money for Oz (things for babies are expensive in our country) and we don't know how soon my hubby would find a job once we get down under so basically, it means we would have bare minimum of money to start with. And if we wait until we get in Oz which could take years I couldn't find any permanent job given that I think it wouldn't be fair to an employer if I go on maternity leave after few months of working. And I'm not even sure if I would be entitled to it..

What do you think about medical exams for visa and honest approach?

To tell you the truth, when I applied for residency I don't remember being asked about my parents health. Maybe I was...just can't remember. Maybe someone who has recently applied can help with that.

Baby items are just as expensive in Oz as the UK, perhaps the UK is a little cheaper to be honest. I wouldn't base your decision on that. Babies are expensive...end of :eek: You don't need to have everything top of the range. I found parenting forums really helpful for reviews of equipment, etc.

K :biggrin:

Guest robnnic

Hi,

When you applied for your Visa did you not have to state that you had a certain amount of money to take over with you?

I dont want to put a downer on things, however, when you have a baby you realise that they are your number one priority. Would moving over to a new country, making a new start (which is gonna be stressful as a couple), without a job and expecting to live in one of the most expensive places, without funds be the best for your new baby?? (which will also be stressful for you as a couple)

(THIS IS JUST A PERSONAL OPINION) but i would get settled over there and have one then, your both still young enough to start a family.

I don't know your financial situation, and obviously it is up to you.

good luck.x.x.x.

Guest OzzieZ

Thank you both for your replies and honest opinions, I really appreciate it.

Although I would like to have kids soon, I don't want to put a little baby through all that relocating stress and stuff that comes with it. As much as I am keen to have kids soon, I also wish to bring a baby into our settled life and not in this mixed up one. I think the reason for this dilemma is cause I would like to have my parents as a support during pregnancy and me being in Oz, that wouldn't be possible but since my husband and me decided to move no matter what, we are aware of all the sacrifice that comes with that.

Thank you for the advices. :hug: