Car Insurance for young drivers.

thepallis

Hi All, Just thought I would ask to see if any of you know how insurance works in Oz for younger drivers. My 17 yr old just had a quote for £4500 on a car costing £500, is it the same in Oz or do they have a better system than basically you are a male your going to crash (seems this way), girls insurance seems to be lot cheaper. Any help may sway my son to join us. Thank for reading this, hope it is in the correct place. S

It seems pretty much the same as the UK. And they won't (or at least I haven't found one that will) take into account any No-Claims Discount from the UK. And watch for additional excesses being added to policies for "inexperienced drivers" - they define "inexperienced" in relation to how long you've had an Oz licence, not how long you've driven in the UK with no accident ever. Grrrrr.

No it isn't we would go for fully comp, just wondered if anyone had any experience of costings. I am trying to build a case for him coming and car ins in UK is extortionate he will never be able to afford it. I was hoping it might be a little more reasonable in OZ.

Our reg in Victoria covers personal injury however it does not cover another car so if your older car hits a porsche can cost a lot of money.

When our children had their first cars they insured them for third party fire and theft, this did not cover damage to their car but covered other's car and of course the fire and theft bit. That was a much cheaper option and when they were accident free for a few years they then went on to rating 1 even though they were under 25.

Depends where you're heading. Different states have different regulations I believe. Here in WA Third Party Ins is included in the rego (like car tax) for anyone over 17.

In WA, third party personal insurance is covered by the rego - if you hurt someone - then they can claim their personal injuries against you rego. But it doesn't cover their car. Not sure about damage to property etc - ie if you ran into house.

Insurance is not compulsory in WA. If you have an accident with no insurance and damage another car, then that car driver will need to sue you. If you have no money and assets, the court will order you to pay a certain amount per month.

Note that if you are driving drunk or someone without a license is driving etc, most insurance companies won't pay out, so you're on your own anyway.

I believe third party is cheaper than UK because it is not compulsory, but you would need to do a comparison.