Intellectual Disability Nursing

Guest Hano

Hello all, looking for LOTS of advice! Myself, my partner and 14 month old baby have decided to move to Perth,OZ. We're from Ireland. I'm a registered ID nurse, could anybody give me advice on whether my registration is recognised over there, or what steps i have to take to have it recognised, availability of jobs in this field etc...... any advice at all would be much appreciated really!

Also would my oh be covered by my visa or would he have to apply seperately? Lots of questions i know but any info at all would be super. Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hey, i have been trying to find info on this for a while! Im a trained Learning disability nurse in Scotland, I applied to get registration from AHPRA in April but still waiting a decision. Some agencies are telling me Australia doesn't recognize L.D nurses, others say I can work in mental health. The only place that has told me that their state recognizes L.D nurses is Queensland. No agency will help me find a job how ever until I receive registration! So im still not sure if there are many posts out there, I wish I could help u more, but Ill keep you updated as soon as I find out! Good luck

Becca

hi becca,

thanks for your reply,seems very hard to find out much on this,hopefully someone will drop by with some info,how long did it take you to get approved by ANMAC?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bjod76

Hi! i am currently back in Australia. I have been registered with the UK nursing board as an learning disability nurse since 1996. i registered with NSW in 1999 and they said i was an RN with no restrictions. i worked with an agency for a while in sydney who kept trying to put me in acute medical wards as i was a "registered nurse" and could work anywhere. i said no and continued to look for learning disability work to no avail. i did a lot of mental health work before settling and feeling comfortable in aged care. On returning to Oz in May 2011 i had to re-register with the new AHPRA nursing board with the hope to continue in aged care. I have about four years full time experience in this field. They have put me on the register as an RN, division 1, but with a notation saying i " may only practise in the area of learning disability ". Australia generally doesn't have specfic learning disability services!! Disability services are all grouped together and they don't use a nursing/medical approach to care!

AHPRA have told me i'm a registered nurse but i have no-where to practise!! So, after 3 yrs university, numberous post grad courses, and almost 15 yrs full time experience i can't be a nurse anymore?????

No seems to know if i can work with supervision, in the UK i worked in many mental health facilities, can i do that here?? no one has an answer. Terribly frustrating in a country with a shortage of nurses!!

Does anyone know of any courses etc. i can attend so i may practise again in Aged care. Its an area of care i really enjoy, feel competent and comfortable with and an area that is crying out for nurses! any help would be great! Thanks!!

Hiya Bjod, I found the following website http://WWW.disability.wa.gov.au I know u said you're in nsw but it mite be of some interest to you. It seems to b mostly carers that are employed to look after people.with an ID, but registered nurses are mentioned also, I'm still not sure what the story is thou?! Good luck to you, Karen

• 5 months later...
Guest ccaldo10
Hi, I am old school RNMH and am eligible for registration with AHPRA as a Registered Nurse. I start a community post in Intellectual Disability in Melbourne in October.

Hi how did you/ where can you look for these jobs. I am due to graduate as a RNLD in August and looking to emigrate. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Mariabubbles

Hi,i am an intellectual disability nurse,qualified in sep09. I want to go travelling around australia but need tobwork for a short spell to save money. How can i get work as a nurse, will i have to try get carer work as ID is not reconised

• 2 months later...
Guest keeley1981

Hi,

I qualified as RNLD Sept 07 i have work in a medium secure psychiatric hospital since qualifying i am hoping to leave england for OZ i would like to stay in MH nursing, will this be possible as im a RNLD. I would like to work at the high secure hospital in NSW.

Any help will be fab x

keeley xx

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Hello,

What was the answer? Did you have a Nursing Degree in Learning Disability Nursing. I have that, and work in both Mental Healh and LD- I wondered if I would be able to work as a Nurse and register with AHPRA. I called them up, and they said I just need to submit my assessment (pay the $750 or so fee too).

Thanks

Tom