dont think we will go !! cant afford it!

n111kkx

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev, there were a few misrepresented facts and figures. I thought the same last night x

I wasn't around last night and if I was, I'd have kept my mouth shut :wink: :biggrin:

Guest JK2510

We have been in Perth for 6 months now and we still compare but don't use the exchange rate. We compare what uk hourly rate we got and what we could do in the uk and the same for oz. For example: our weekly shop was between £75-£100 pw in the uk. OH had to work around 8 hrs to pay the food bill. In oz he has to work around 7 hrs to pay the food bill.

A meal out in the uk. Harvester around £35-40. Hours work to pay for that 3 and a bit hrs. Sizzlers here $100. 3 hrs work.

I don't know whether it's a good way or not but we manage. A family of 5 on around $100-$110k per year. Our rent is $480 for a 4x2 and we also have car finance. We are also having to furnish our house as we left everything behind. We have enough to put a lump sum away each week.

The opportunities here are soo much better than the uk. OH is constantly being asked to take on a management role at his company after being with them for 3 months! That would of never happened in the uk.

We manage

This is a rant so you have been warned - I've given a response to one of the people who's posted a bit about the cost of food so I won't do so again here but I would like to ask those who appear to have emigrated expecting the number of rainy days per annum to be the same as somewhere like Timbuktu, where the bloody hell do you think we're going to get water with which we can keep our gardens and to use to cook and wash???

Or is it the case that everyone in the UK now buys ready-made meals from Tesco and M&S and is religiously adhering to that stereotype Aussies have of Brits (of not washing regulalry)!

Guest guest30038
We compare what uk hourly rate we got and what we could do in the uk and the same for oz. For example: our weekly shop was between £75-£100 pw in the uk. OH had to work around 8 hrs to pay the food bill. In oz he has to work around 7 hrs to pay the food bill.

A meal out in the uk. Harvester around £35-40. Hours work to pay for that 3 and a bit hrs. Sizzlers here $100. 3 hrs work.

That's an excellent way of working it out Jodie. So many people still use the exchange rate, even after years of being here. If you apply your Oz hourly pay rate to whatever you buy here, and then compare your UK hourly rate to similar items bought there, then that seems the most appropriate manner of comparing living costs.

Guest JK2510
That's an excellent way of working it out Jodie. So many people still use the exchange rate, even after years of being here. If you apply your Oz hourly pay rate to whatever you buy here, and then compare your UK hourly rate to similar items bought there, then that seems the most appropriate manner of comparing living costs.

Well it all began when the OH Began working out how many pints he can buy per hourly rate!! It sort of followed on from there! :)

We have been in Perth for 6 months now and we still compare but don't use the exchange rate. We compare what uk hourly rate we got and what we could do in the uk and the same for oz. For example: our weekly shop was between £75-£100 pw in the uk. OH had to work around 8 hrs to pay the food bill. In oz he has to work around 7 hrs to pay the food bill.

I don't know whether it's a good way or not but we manage. A family of 5 on around $100-$110k per year. Our rent is $480 for a 4x2 and we also have car finance. We are also having to furnish our house as we left everything behind. We have enough to put a lump sum away each week.

The opportunities here are soo much better than the uk. OH is constantly being asked to take on a management role at his company after being with them for 3 months! That would of never happened in the uk.

We manage

Thanks so much for the info - i think the way you compare is right too as it is all relative to what you are earning!! Which part of Perth are you in? I am undecided wether to take all my stuff over or not. People on here are saying around £4k to transport furniture in a full container, but then I am not sure if we will be able to rent a furnished place. But still I don't need to decide yet as I am not planning to go until next year!!

Guest gail2010
thanks so much for the info - i think the way you compare is right too as it is all relative to what you are earning!! Which part of perth are you in? I am undecided wether to take all my stuff over or not. People on here are saying around £4k to transport furniture in a full container, but then i am not sure if we will be able to rent a furnished place. But still i don't need to decide yet as i am not planning to go until next year!!

check out realestate.com.au as you can see houses on there from time to time available fully furnished, sometimes it aint too bad!!

We took all our stuff but shipping was paid by company!!!

There are good furniture places that arent too expensive like absolute fantastic furniture and also super a mart you can check them out online to get an idea of prices, but if you pay 4k for shipping you have all your stuff we paid $2100 for our bedroom package and also new dining table $1300 from local places they arent anything special but what we like so taking this into account to have all your stuff for 4k you would be better off!!!

Also have a look at gumtree.com.au and see what you can get from other people to help you by if you do decide not to bring your stuff!

Guest JK2510

Hi,

We live NOR about 25kms from city.

Super a mart are ok. We have 3 sofas and some bar stools from there.

The majority of our household bits are from ikea. To just be able to pick it off the shelf was great.

We have rented a fridge/freezer but wouldn't recommend as it costs $130 per month.

We stayed with family for 4 months but it just didn't work out(does it ever?!?) all in all I think we done well with $6000!! Ok we didn't have sofas for a while but we all had a bed to sleep in and bean bags were helpful enough.

Hi,

We live NOR about 25kms from city.

Super a mart are ok. We have 3 sofas and some bar stools from there.

The majority of our household bits are from ikea. To just be able to pick it off the shelf was great.

We have rented a fridge/freezer but wouldn't recommend as it costs $130 per month.

We stayed with family for 4 months but it just didn't work out(does it ever?!?) all in all I think we done well with $6000!! Ok we didn't have sofas for a while but we all had a bed to sleep in and bean bags were helpful enough.

Do you mean you moved to oz with 6k or do you mean you got all your house stuff for that? Its good to hear you can get some bargains from super mart etc lol. One of my main worrys is household stuff and cost of living but im sure we'll manage

Guest JK2510

We moved to oz with $5000. We were lucky we had family so our costs were kept to a minimum!!

We furnished 4 bedrooms from beds to bedding.

Kitted out a kitchen from cutlery to microwaves etc...

We brought 5 beanbags and 5 bar stools so meal times and chill out times were sorted.

Brought a used washing machine from a work friend.

If you look around you can save $$$. Kmart was great for kitchen bits and target always have specials on bedding and kitchenwares etc...

We moved to oz with $4000. We were lucky we had family so our costs were kept to a minimum!!

We furnished 4 bedrooms from beds to bedding.

Kitted out a kitchen from cutlery to microwaves etc...

We brought 5 beanbags and 5 bar stools so meal times and chill out times were sorted.

Brought a used washing machine from a work friend.

If you look around you can save $$$. Kmart was great for kitchen bits and target always have specials on bedding and kitchenwares etc...

You've done so well!! We're also probably going to have 4 or 5k. We dont have a house to sell, we private rent in scotland. I wonder a lot if we'll manage it, i only have second cousins in melbourne but i want to go to perth. We're moving in with our parents and giving up the house to save money for oz. Dont think we're taking anything with us, theres no point just taking a bed and some chest of drawers. Theres just the two of us, no kids. That might make things easier. We're even happy to do a houseshare for a while till we get on our feet

We manage

realy great to read a positive post we are hoping to move to perth as soon as we sell our hs....we are not going to be better off, and i dont care for designer clothes, we want an adventure and we want to bring the boys up in a more relaxed culture and outdoor lifestyle...... but what does worry me is the work situation my hubbie is a painter and decorator (multi trade in uk)and although i can get work in my proffesion it is not enougth to look after us for too long.... and like someone said, we started this about three years ago and with the exchange rate now the money we will be taken has gone down by £75000 thats a hell of a lot... but i dont see it getting any better:arghh:

so weighing all the facts we still cant wait to go and start our adventure:twitcy:

jools

Dont you think you'd be better off renting in oz & selling when uk house prices & the exchange rate improves?

That would be great for us except where do we find the at least £15k to get us and our stuff out there ?? I's all tied up in the house for us !:confused:

Have to wait and see what the agents say..............................:err:

we don't have much without selling up - but we are hpoing to get a job before we go and we have cars to sell. I've seen on here people going with £5k with families - so it can be done!!

Unfortunately our cars aren't worth much ! :wacko:

Dont you think you'd be better off renting in oz & selling when uk house prices & the exchange rate improves?

we will definatly rent in oz at first becuase we want to build but we still need to sell here or we would have no money to set up(and my hubbie does not like the idea of renting out in the uk !i have tried!) were taking everything with us have had pss round recently and were even thinking of taking the car in a 40 ft container as that should help with keeping set up fees down

just need to sell the bl**dy house:arghh:

jools xx