First time buyer incentive - how much and for how long?

chris2011

I've heard that new PR's are offered a lump sum payment as an incentive when buying their first home.

Is this correct? And if so how much (WA) is the incentive and how soon after you arrive do you have to buy to qualify for the payment?

Thanks for reading!

I've heard that new PR's are offered a lump sum payment as an incentive when buying their first home.

Is this correct? And if so how much (WA) is the incentive and how soon after you arrive do you have to buy to qualify for the payment?

Thanks for reading!

Not sure if your talking about the first home buyers grant chris? wasnt just for migrants i dont think,not 100% but i think its finished now,either way someone over there will know

Guest Home Loan Experts

I believe in WA you can get $7k as long as the property is under $750k. There are a range of qualifying criteria however the main ones are that you haven't owned a home before, one of you has PR or Aus Citizenship and you are going to live in it.

For more info call the WA OSR on 1300 363 211 or look at their website http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=344&linkidentifier=id&itemid=344

I believe in WA you can get $7k as long as the property is under $750k. There are a range of qualifying criteria however the main ones are that you haven't owned a home before, one of you has PR or Aus Citizenship and you are going to live in it.

For more info call the WA OSR on 1300 363 211 or look at their website http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/content.aspx?id=344&linkidentifier=id&itemid=344

I owned a villa in Perth in 95, so I assume that means that I don't qualify. However, my wife has never owned property in WA. If she bought the property in her name and her name only, would she qualify for the FHOG?

Guest smileykylie

I am filling in the nsw form now and it definitely asks about spouses and if they have owned before. It also asks if you have owned a property before 2000 and if you or your spouse has you are not eligible - like i said this is NSW but I imagine similar criteria as it is a federal scheme.

The FHOG relates to the couple - is either partner (married, de-facto) has ever owned a home before - neither are now eligible for this grant. Some of the stamp duty grants are available if one of the buyers has never owned a property before but it depends on the state (there are also some salary limits as well - one state I looked at the combined income had to be under 100K for the applicants).