Cost of living

barnabus72

Hi any families prepared to share their monthly outgoings with us please ?

Water

Gas

Electric

Groceries

Internet

Satellite tv

contact lenses ?

mobile phones

dog insurance

life insurance

house insurance

gym membership

?

just to give us an idea for our reccie in August

THANKS !!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Water

Gas

Electric

Groceries

Internet

Satellite tv

contact lenses ?

mobile phones

dog insurance

life insurance

house insurance

gym membership

?

THANKS !!

When you are doing your calculations, don't use the current exchange rate, use the average wage rate ........... average wages are paid at roughly $2.2 to £1. This then gives you the closest comparison.

Gas, electric, rates, petrol usually cost less in Australia if you compare them to similar sized houses in the uk, but this doesn't mean it is cheaper all round in Australia, we found overall that there was little difference as long as you ensure you earn a wage at $2.2 to £1.

Best of luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Another things costs differ from state to state, when i say gas and electric costs less than the uk, i mean you will use it less in some states depending on the weather, not that the tarif is less, but with the near 20% announced increases by British gas and other companies, gas and electric might be dearer here now.

Hi, I can get you started with some answers, this is for two of us in a smallish 3 bed roomed house.

Gas $130

Electric $50

Groceries $ 400

Internet+ phone $45

Mobile phones $15

Pay tv $55

Our heating bills are higher here than they ever were in the U.K because the houses are so badly insulated, even though it never gets as cold outside here I was always warmer in my house in England.

We also spend A lot more on food, much more expensive here, unlike the UK it's generally cheaper if you go to the greengrocer, baker, butcher etc than to buy in the supermarket, but as we both work full time I'd rather not spend my weekends running around the shops.

Guest shooterguy

Hi we moved to mornington near Melbourne in January so can compare pretty well with prices recently in the uk.

Our electricity bills are about $450 for three months we were paying £80 a month in the uk

Gas was £170 a month in the uk here it was $200 for the first three months $300 for the second (winter)

We are paying about $ 150 for the Sunday shop, we were about £110 in the uk then spent about another £100 on small shops through the week about another $150 here

Assuming you are renting thisnwill be more expensive in oz but you don't have to pay council tax on top. $500 a week will get you a decent 4bedroom rental

Mobiles on contract are probably about the same I pay $79 a monthly for more minutes and data than I can use but this was a new phone as well if you get your uk phone unlocked you can get it for 49.

Internet is expensive in comparison to the uk depending on how much data you use we pay $179 a month for phone and Internet but that's for a 250 gb data allowance.

We didn,t pay for water in the uk (Scotland it was in council tax) here about $ 200 for three months but our council tax was a good bit more than twice what our rates will be.

Alcohol is a lot more expensive here some clothes are dearer some cheaper. Kids toys and books are a lot more expensive but you can order them from the uk next amazon debenhams ect deliver here.

All in and it's a controversial topic but we kind it cheaper to live here

Wife has just joined the gym and she has promised me it's a good bit less than her uk gym membership I'm not a gym kind of person

Hope this helps

Guest guest36187

Gas

We dont have gas apart from the BBQ..that cost is minimal

Electric

We have put in solar power which is bringing our cost down slowly.

Groceries

For 2 of us and the dog we average about $140 per week. We shop in Cles, Woolies and/or bakers, grocers etc. Depending on who has got what we want and where it is the best quality. I shop for quality not for price.

Internet

Satellite tv

We pay $300 per month. That covers foxtel, 50gb internet and home phone per month

mobile phones

We have HTC Desire HD and we have a $49 cap each so bills average $110 per month for both of us.

house insurance

Bout 800$ per year. We have lots of specified things that we insure.

Hi

I'm still quite new to all this so trying really hard to find out as much as I can :cute:. Thanks for this info, we too are considering moving from the UK (Scotland to be precise) and the only thing that is really concerncing me the most is the cost of living.

If you were to move over there on a salary of $100,00 (two adults and two children) is this really a realistic salary? At present living in the UK we really just live from month to month, never got any spare money and really want to make a change for our children so they can have a better life, however, as much as we're both keen to do this wouldn't want to take this step if it meant we would be struggling even more :0(.

Soooo want to do this but so scared that we would end up financially worse off!

Thanks sooo much to everyone on the PIO site, I am loving it as it's been a massive help, hopefully this will be a move we can afford to make :wubclub:

Hi we moved to mornington near Melbourne in January so can compare pretty well with prices recently in the uk.

Our electricity bills are about $450 for three months we were paying £80 a month in the uk

Gas was £170 a month in the uk here it was $200 for the first three months $300 for the second (winter)

We are paying about $ 150 for the Sunday shop, we were about £110 in the uk then spent about another £100 on small shops through the week about another $150 here

Assuming you are renting thisnwill be more expensive in oz but you don't have to pay council tax on top. $500 a week will get you a decent 4bedroom rental

Mobiles on contract are probably about the same I pay $79 a monthly for more minutes and data than I can use but this was a new phone as well if you get your uk phone unlocked you can get it for 49.

Internet is expensive in comparison to the uk depending on how much data you use we pay $179 a month for phone and Internet but that's for a 250 gb data allowance.

We didn,t pay for water in the uk (Scotland it was in council tax) here about $ 200 for three months but our council tax was a good bit more than twice what our rates will be.

Alcohol is a lot more expensive here some clothes are dearer some cheaper. Kids toys and books are a lot more expensive but you can order them from the uk next amazon debenhams ect deliver here.

All in and it's a controversial topic but we kind it cheaper to live here

Wife has just joined the gym and she has promised me it's a good bit less than her uk gym membership I'm not a gym kind of person

Hope this helps

We are a family of 5, with a fifo OH who works a 2/1 roster and 2 children in primary school. We live in a 4 bed 2 bath with no pool in WA.

Gas $90 per month

Electricty $120 per month

Groceries $800 per month shopping at local butchers and farmers markets for better quality for price compared to supermarkets. 1 child still in nappies and a OH that only needs to be feed when home from the mine.

Contact Lenses $120 for a 3 month supply of disposable

Internet + home phone calls $110 per month

Mobiles $100 per month for both

Home insurance $82 per month for home contents and building

School Fees in a private catholic primary school for 2 children $600 per term

Gym membership $32 per fortnight and doesn't include creche fees

Water $30 per month but I believe that is well below average

Private Health Insurance $185 per month

Hope these figures help someone.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Heres my bills in the uk i am in a 4 bedroomed detached house, which is a good size, but far smaller than the average Australian house, based on the average wage paid at $2.2 to £1 i have put in the Australian figure to offer a truish comparison.

Gas/electric - £130 per month / in OZ it = $290 anyone paying this?

Rates £1450 per year / in OZ it = $3,200 anyone paying this? more, less?

Petrol £1.35 per litre / in OZ it = $3.00

Weekly shop for family of 4 £125 / in OZ it = $275

Water rates £300 per year / in OZ it = $660

Car insurance £400 / in OZ it = $880

I recently got a deal on my gas/electric, but they have both nearly gone up by 20%

My friend has a new 4b2b house that is slightly bigger than the australian average. She runs reverse cycle air con and has a swimming pool. Her bills average $500 per month in summer.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We have a 5bed, 3bath house with heated pool and ducted a/c - live in Brisbane.

We pay $310 per month in summer and $200 per month or less the other 9 months. Not particularly careful so this could be reduced.

Jammy beggar.:wink:

Personally i find it very expensive here,BUT,i don't stress anymore,because i now earn the Aussie Dollar,and pay the going rate!It's no use anymore to me comparing like for like in the UK,you just ain't gonna get 5 mars bars for the eqiv of a quid here,or 3 boxes of beer for 20 quid equiv.That's Life,just get what you need,and get on with it(as Faceache oft says:yes:)Boy is life too short to be too asred with it all!!!!:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest derson

Agreed, we found our UK savings got eaten up pretty quickly when we first arrived , but once we started earning AU$ things became a lot easier.

Personally i find it very expensive here,BUT,i don't stress anymore,because i now earn the Aussie Dollar,and pay the going rate!It's no use anymore to me comparing like for like in the UK,you just ain't gonna get 5 mars bars for the eqiv of a quid here,or 3 boxes of beer for 20 quid equiv.That's Life,just get what you need,and get on with it(as Faceache oft says:yes:)Boy is life too short to be too asred with it all!!!!:wink:

Guest heieup

Monthly bills for 4 bed house in regional Vic

Water - 70

Gas - 150 per month winter

Electric - 110 per month

Groceries - 100-150 per week for 2 of us we shop in a combo of Coles / Safeway and Aldi and local cheaper grocers / butchers. Once you get your shops sorted it doens't take that much longer and you can save a lot over just shopping in coles.

Internet and phone - 110 but we pretty much make all our calls on skype

Satellite tv - dont have it

contact lenses ? - 70 for 3 months worth of 6 weekly disposables

mobile phones - paid for by work for us

dog insurance - licensing is around $12 per year, don't know insurance

life insurance - dont have

house insurance - about $600 per year

Definietly need to consider $ to £ at around the 2-1 mark for costs to make sense. Obviously savings will be hit when coming out but wages are pretty stable at the moment and sit at around this rate as well. We found that utilities, meat and insurance and petrol was cheaper, but fruit and veggies are more expensive as are cars, internet, phones. It just about balanced out for us.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gone Crazy

Water

Gas

Electric

Groceries

Internet

Satellite tv

contact lenses ?

mobile phones

dog insurance

life insurance

house insurance

gym membership

?

THANKS !!

To give you a idea I live in Melbourne small 3 bed with partner. No heating or Air Con, which is a inconvience as it gets pretty cold in winter and 40+ in summer. I bring in $5800.00 pr month after tax and it all goes on rent, bills, groceries, insurances etc. Absolute rip off living here. Don't have any luxuries, eating out, gym etc. all the things I used to enjoy in UK. Don't know how people survive.

Most people I know at work are in lots of debt due to cost of living in Melbourne. For example one guy and his partner have two kids and he tells me his credit card debt has just topped $40k.