Using an Emmigration Agent..! Good, Bad or Ugly?

Bobner

G'day Dingos.....

New to the forum and found it trawling the web looking for helpful info and sites....

we are planning to emmigrate to Oz.... one way or another..... and there are many options and many visa routes.....

...obviously I have come accross the many 'Visa Agents' out there that have "100%" success rates etc in getting people over there etc....all for a hefty fee £$£..!!

So my question is....

"Is it worth paying these guys to ensure a near 100% chance of getting over successfully....

... or are they a complete Rip"?

I score 85 on the Skilled Migration test, my career is on the list! I am under 45... my cousin is married an Ozzie and lives in Oz....

Do I go for the applicaiton myself or pay these guys £2000?? (Is that the going rate, 'cause it's what they charge!!)

Thanks in advance

Bob

Hi Bob, and welcome !

You sound like a straightforward case so if you have the time and dedication to do all the form filling etc that goes with all this go DIY.

If you are a busy man who likes to delegate use an agent, there are some good ones hanging around on here.

The end of the day it's up to you but if you go DIY there are a lot of fellow PIOers happy to help you get through it all.

Good luck

Justin :wink:

Chardy's right.

If you can be bothered, and really want to save your heard earned cash the DIY's the way to go.

I can't recommend this site enough. Any problem you can think of has usually been experienced by one member or another.

I'm not saying the form filling is easy but with the very helpfull people on here, and doing a bit of research, I'm sure you'd manage it on your own.

Chris xx

just echoing everybody else, if you feel that you have the points required, and dont mind sitting down to fill in all the paperwork, its not rocket science.

In our situation, we were applying for sponsorship in a very "vague" grey area, and can't commend my agent enough with both my 457 & ENS visa finally, but everybody's case is different.

If the answer to questions or formfilling cant be found on here, there is somebody out there that knows the answer, and is more than happy to help.

Good luck with the application.

We consulted with a couple of agents (had to pay for one, but it was a small amount and completely worth it), and off the back of their advice decided to go it alone for ACS assessment and visa.

Although the whole thing is pretty daunting, if you're satisfied you meet the requirements for the skills assessment and visa (which it sounds like you are) then just go for it. Then it's just form filling and handing over money. :biggrin: Oh, and waiting - lots of waiting! :SLEEP:

Good luck!

We consulted with a couple of agents (had to pay for one, but it was a small amount and completely worth it), and off the back of their advice decided to go it alone for ACS assessment and visa.

Although the whole thing is pretty daunting, if you're satisfied you meet the requirements for the skills assessment and visa (which it sounds like you are) then just go for it. Then it's just form filling and handing over money. :biggrin: Oh, and waiting - lots of waiting! :SLEEP:

Good luck!

You can always do the free assessment that some agents offer (we did) and they will usually pick up any potentially difficult areas. If they don't then give it a go yourself :wink:

I reckon the waiting is easier if you are DIY and in control than trying to get updates from an agent (although they do very by all accounts !)

Thanks for the replies....

all good to hear... my only doubt is that, while I was considering the straight forward Skill migration.... and agent that gave me a call back suggested the best way is the 457 route!

This would require an employer at the other end - something else that I would need to track down myself In guess.

I dont mind paying an agent to secure a better life and new start for my family - but is £2000 the norm,

or is this a bit steep?

Can anyone who has used an agent give me a fair idea of the 'average - ball park' fee ?

many thanks in advance

..On ya'z..

Thanks for the replies....

all good to hear... my only doubt is that, while I was considering the straight forward Skill migration.... and agent that gave me a call back suggested the best way is the 457 route!

This would require an employer at the other end - something else that I would need to track down myself In guess.

I dont mind paying an agent to secure a better life and new start for my family - but is £2000 the norm,

or is this a bit steep?

Can anyone who has used an agent give me a fair idea of the 'average - ball park' fee ?

many thanks in advance

..On ya'z..

Glad to help...if I have !:biglaugh:

A 457 is great as you have instant income on arrival but it is only a temporary visa rather than permanent.

It kind of depends on your job as to how easy it would be to find an employer willing to pay out for sponsorship and the related expenses. I did look at it but couldn't find any employer in my mine of work willing to do this.

£2k sound about right, it would have been that or more for our 176 visa including skills assessment etc

Good luck with your decision and PIO is here for you anytime:wink:

Thanks alot guys....

.... you have helped a newb 'tick off' some initial nagging questions and doubts..... with that cleared up I can start to have a serious look through the Forums and get a feel for what lies ahead...

:smile:

kind regards

xx

We paid an agent as we had a couple of worries however we have since realised they weren't really anything to worry about!!

If I could go back I would probably do the skill assessment and SS by myself and possible the actual application!!

Although I will say the agent has been very good throughout and if you do have any worries then at least they can give you an actual answer as opposed to an opinion!!

Up to you I guess!

agents can only fill in the forms by asking YOU the questions asked on the forms,simple as that, so if you dedicate a few nights at reading the questions and asking advice on poms if you get stuck then there you go, i did our contributary parant visa my sons last remaining relative and helped his girlfriend with her visa give the paperwork a look at and see how you go, when your alicated a case officer there is a simle way of asking question free by email

agents can only fill in the forms by asking YOU the questions asked on the forms,simple as that, so if you dedicate a few nights at reading the questions and asking advice on poms if you get stuck then there you go, i did our contributary parant visa my sons last remaining relative and helped his girlfriend with her visa give the paperwork a look at and see how you go, when your alicated a case officer there is a simle way of asking question free by email

forgot to add there is a free assestment you can do online to see if you meet the criteria good luck

We paid an agent as we had a couple of worries however we have since realised they weren't really anything to worry about!!

If I could go back I would probably do the skill assessment and SS by myself and possible the actual application!!

Although I will say the agent has been very good throughout and if you do have any worries then at least they can give you an actual answer as opposed to an opinion!!

Up to you I guess!

The skills assessment was the hardest part for me, so much detail to worry about. The SS and visa app are actually simple enough (at least the 176 application was!)

Good point John, you can only take peoples response on here as an opinion........the decisions are yours in the end :err:

I made the mistake of hiring a migration agent when we started out. The first hurdle was the skills assessment. I needed a transcript from my university. "How do I get that?" I asked the agent. "Look it up on the internet" was the answer. These agents (and this was a well known one) expect you to pay them and do all the work yourself. I sacked my agent (unfortunately having already paid him one-third of the fee) and did the whole skills assesment and visa application process myself.

The only good thing I can say about agents is that "look it up on the internet" is actually sound advice.

Hi pal, im just at end of the process and il tell you what i have found.My total cost is around double yours taking into account medicals x4 £1000, police checks, etc.My agent has got me through but if i did it again i would do it myself.There are many on the forum who will advise you what to do and if i had access to it before i would have used it.Note how many are asking for advice on how do do what,there are loads. My agent was stroppy short tempered and failed to notify me on a couple of occassions, however there are many good experiences out there so shop around the forum for tips, i wont name my agent as they do look at the site. Best of luck

Guest cdchaplin

we have an agent on board, haven't heard from him for nearly 6 weeks. I have had to submit more stuff for my skills assessment which he hasn't even let me know that i need to only found it out cos i'm on the ball and checkiing websites reguarly to ensure that i hadn't missed any new info.!! I am just going to leave it and get on with the application and tell him to sod off when/if he decides to contact us!!!!!

same as me, my agent failed to notify me by email or other for medicals and i had to ask for an extended time,They then accused me of opening the email. I phoned them up and asked them what i achieved by saying i didnt get the email, and guess what, as i was on the phone to them they received a request for my medical via fax!.They take your money fast and dont deliver,I would continue on your own, kind regards Jules