Average family better off with Carbon tax - Are you?

rikyuu

This thread is to find out whether you think you'll be better off with the carbon tax. We've all seen the advertisements that it's the big polluters that will suffer, and just in case they simply pass the costs onto the public (as if they wouldn't), the government is giving needy families tax back to cover the increase in prices. Apparently the average family will be better off.

So, a lot of people ask on this forum whether they will be able to manage with X dollars income with Y kids in Z city. I get $70k to support a wife and 2 young kids in Melbourne and although we manage and have some cash in the UK, I can't imagine buying a house unless they halve in price! A lot of people would say $70k is not enough to support a family. So am I better off with carbon tax?

....yes, by $35 a year!! My gas and electric company reacted to the carbon tax 2 days after it was announced, not by telling me how they were going to cut their pollution, but how they were going to pass on the tax to me, by increasing my bills. So you can imagine the $35 was eaten up pretty quick.

So why am I not better off when on a borderline sufficient family income? Because they based the average family income on the 2006 Census, when it was $54800. So you will only break even/be better off if your family income is $54800 or less. Good job they didn't wait a few weeks for the 2011 census results.

Anyway, back to the original question, will you be better off? 50% of families should be according to the government.

Calculator is below;

https://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/helping-households/household-assistance-estimator/

Well I put our details in and it tells me nothing! It says "The household situation described by the information you have entered is not covered by the scenarios used by this Estimator."

I suspect we get nothing and will be worse off under the new carbon tax.........but it didn't actually want to tell me that!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Can hardly make head or tail of that but it looks very much like their estimate is that it is going to cost us about $400 per year - and if you take that with a pinch of salt I shall be surprised if we are better than $1000 worse off each year.

Come on, 50% of us will be better off, where are these people.

Ironically, my colleagues who are on $50k, but are single and live at home with their parents will be slightly better off than me.

I think most of the folk, that the government claim will be better off, earn a pittance and will effectively be taken out of the tax system by the rise in the tax-free theshold. Whether they end up being better off is any ones guess though - the Carbon Tax could well turn out to be a charter for the rip-off merchant.

The lengths we have to go to to save the planet :biglaugh:!!

Prices rise we just have to adjust and we always do so no point in getting stressed about it. We paid interest rates of 15% at one time when we were purchasing and you know we just upped the repayments and did without other stuff.

Prices rise we just have to adjust and we always do so no point in getting stressed about it. We paid interest rates of 15% at one time when we were purchasing and you know we just upped the repayments and did without other stuff.

And many families lost their family home. Some people were already going without 'other stuff'.

Guest MontyClaude

You are so practical Petals, it's very refreshing :)

A lot of the cost of living, tax threads etc make interesting reading for me but honestly coming from Ireland the cost of living in Oz isn't going to impact me half as much as the people moving from the UK.

Yes costs have slowly come down here over the last couple of years but we still pay through the nose for most things and our taxes just keep getting higher and higher.