Guest flyngo

Has anyone ever moved to oz having not visited first?

Guest flyngo

Not planning to do this myself as am not brave enough but wondered if anyone else had???

we are currently just starting the process of emigrating there having never been. Hopefully we'll get a visa! loads to do but its an adventure

Hi flyngo,

I am like you, not brave enough to take the plunge without visiting first, I was in Perth for 3 weeks in Jan and loved it, started the process of applying for a visa in March (see time line)...

There is a thread talking about people who are going without having been there first:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/119747-hands-up-those-you-moving-oz-despite-never-being-there.html

Best of luck in whatever you decide....

IELTS 19/03/11 (Overall: 8.5) | ACS (Dev/Prog 2613-12) passed 18/06/11 | 175 Lodged 22/06/11 | Front Loaded PCC 26/09/11, Meds 19/11/11 | CO: 30/01/12 | Visa Grant: 31/01/12 | Fly Out to Perth 13/08/12 | Settling into Perth...

Guest flyngo

Hi vixxy

We are just starting process too let's keep in touch and compare notes. Are you planning a visit first? We are going to try to but wish I was brave enough to go without visiting so I could save the money!! Where are you planning to go do you know yet? Where are you based just now? We are in scotland

Guest flyngo

Bpremji

Am just wishing I could save some money for when and if I get there! Thanks for link will take a look now xx

Hi flyngo

i think depending on how long things take if its 2 years we'll try and get out there for a few weeks cos ill be bursting by then! im trying to get a relocation through my job but were looking for sponsorships for myself or partner in the meantime. If i go with work its likely to be brisbane, melbourne or perth. Ive been put of perth a little by people saying its very isolated but if i got the opportunity id take it. Were ready to try anywhere. We live in newcastle at the moment so id like to settle somewhere in the suburbs nice and quiet. I really live in a community where you speak to your neighbours and have more of a social life just hope we get there!

feel free to keep in touch im planning on going to the livedownunder(think thats what its called) expo in london on the 17-18th sept i think that will be a lot of help and may find a job sponsor.

Have you got anywhere picked out? How are you planning on going out there, visa wise?

Take care

Vicky :)

Guest Andy and Linda
Not planning to do this myself as am not brave enough but wondered if anyone else had???

We are moving out to Melbourne on the 1st September, we have never been before but I have done a lot of research and also have made friends that we are staying with when we arrive so we got some support. Also one of us has a job so we are secured financially so we can find an apartment quickly.

It took us 1 year to have our visa granted but we spent 2 years prior to that to do our research and get state sponsorship.

Good luck to everyone else that is planning the move down under!! :biggrin:

Linda

We are moving out to Melbourne on the 1st September, we have never been before but I have done a lot of research and also have made friends that we are staying with when we arrive so we got some support. Also one of us has a job so we are secured financially so we can find an apartment quickly.

It took us 1 year to have our visa granted but we spent 2 years prior to that to do our research and get state sponsorship.

Good luck to everyone else that is planning the move down under!! :biggrin:

Linda

Hi,

We are doing the same. Got our visa grant 26 Jul having been through a 2 year process. Never been to Oz and flying out in Feb to Melbourne. OH is ex forces so we have a good pension each month to keep us going until we find work.

Would be nice to share info

Best wishes yoyo

IELTS Aug 09 > 8.0 > Skill Assessment 25 Apr 10 > Applied VIC SS 15 Nov 10 > SS Approval 04 Apr > 176 lodged 14 Apr > CO: Assigned 10 May > Medicals 04 Jun > Referred 01 Jul > finalised 25 Jul > Visa 26 Jul > Fly 6 Feb :wink:

Guest GoldCoastMag

there have been other threads, and yes many have migrated without a prior visit.

I felt like I belonged as soon as I arrived and never felt the need to return to my birth country, I have been here in excess of 20 years now.

good luck

Visited Adelaide for two weeks in February this year. Moving Brisbane 10th August this year, never visited......an adventure!!

Arrived 10th August....loving it

Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right ~Dr Phil

What did you think to Adelaide, Fluxsta? Vixxy, you won't even notice that Perth is so isolated. It has everything you need, and is a beautiful place. It was my favourite place we visited on the reccie.

IELTS test 25/06/2011 (L8.5 R9 W8.5 S9: Overall 9) - ACS Submitted 15/06/2011 (Sys Admins) : Successful 01/09/2011 - SA SS Sent 17/09/2011 : SS Approved 13/10/2011 - 176 Application Sent 20/10/2011

We never went to Adelaide, but are now going to try for State Sponsorship with SA.

IELTS test 25/06/2011 (L8.5 R9 W8.5 S9: Overall 9) - ACS Submitted 15/06/2011 (Sys Admins) : Successful 01/09/2011 - SA SS Sent 17/09/2011 : SS Approved 13/10/2011 - 176 Application Sent 20/10/2011

What did you think to Adelaide, Fluxsta? Vixxy, you won't even notice that Perth is so isolated. It has everything you need, and is a beautiful place. It was my favourite place we visited on the reccie.

Love it!!! Made friends there, no work there though. Sad not to be emigrating there but gotta go where the work is....

:biggrin:

Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right ~Dr Phil

Guest guest30038
Love it!!! Made friends there, no work there though. Sad not to be emigrating there but gotta go where the work is....

:biggrin:

You won't regret it.

We moved............all 7 of us............never been before............It IS what you make it!

"Life Is A Journey, Not A Destination" :)

Good Luck

LojaChica x :smile:Arrived May 2008.................

PR Granted Apr11 Citizenship Granted Jan13......Moved to Andalucía Jul13

Been in Canberra 4 weeks now and had never been out here before that - loving it so far but hope to feel more settled once I have a job...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

You won't regret it.

Ah yeah!!! More we have thought about it, Bris is the right choice.....just that we have physically seen Adelaide and not Brisbane!! Can't wait, working my last night shift right now. In 3 hours I am free for the adventure (or packing and goodbyes) to begin!

:biglaugh:

Yes, we moved out here a month ago. I love it here! Remember though that if you travel on holiday first you will see it in different eyes to just settling here. It takes time to adjust and settle down. So even if you loved it when you visit on holiday it will feel different to when you eventually move here.

You will miss the UK but you need to give it time - They say the first 2 years are hard (even if you do live in paradise) but after that if you can stick it out its plain sailing. I reckon the worst thing about leaving is missing the friends and family. Thats about it.

Melanie Charlton

Based in Berowra, Sydney:cool:

Yes, we moved out here a month ago. I love it here! Remember though that if you travel on holiday first you will see it in different eyes to just settling here. It takes time to adjust and settle down. So even if you loved it when you visit on holiday it will feel different to when you eventually move here.

You will miss the UK but you need to give it time - They say the first 2 years are hard (even if you do live in paradise) but after that if you can stick it out its plain sailing. I reckon the worst thing about leaving is missing the friends and family. Thats about it.

Just read your blog. Very informative and well written! Thanks. Will give it 2 years and see what happens..

:jiggy::hug:

Guest cdchaplin

read the thread i started!! "hands up those moving to oz without ever having been?" loads of us nutters on here it seems!!!

Yes we too are at the start of the process but hoping to move to melbourne at the end of it!!!! Never been but according to the stats, how many people actually don't like t !!!!LOL.

We are going with a very determined mind and if at the end of the day it don't work out, we just come back!!!! Life is too short to say what if?????

good luck

Collette, (nurse)35, paul 38, courtney 13 abbie 10 and Max the cocker spaniel!!!!

ielts 8,8,8.5,9 (academic version) may 20th 2011, anmac sent 2nd june 2011. WAITING.......:err:

Guest juliemtaylor

we moved Feb 2010 and had never been to Australia at all before. We had heard so much from family and friends but even if you go for a holiday/reccie it does not prepare you for the ups and downs of finding your feet in a new country - you just have to go with the flow and you will get there. We have now bought our own house and are both working and loving it.

Julie x

It's not essential, that's for sure. I did the same thing in reverse - moved to the UK 7 years ago from Aus, having not been over here before. I think it makes it more of an adventure when you move somewhere "fresh". Having said that, as others have pointed out, living somewhere is completely different to holidaying there. I'd say you might decide from a holiday that you definitely don't want to live somewhere but only time will help you decide if you actually DO want to live there.

OH's front loaded application (309 visa) received at AH 13/04/2011. CO assigned 20/04/2011. Original documents returned 26/04/2011. Visa approved 11/08/2011! Arrived in Adelaide 3/11/2011

Second stage (permanent) visa applied 2/04/2013. Visa granted 14/05/2013.

Guest Clare

Hey,

Yes, that will be us! Husband has a brother in Brisbane he's lived in Oz 22 years, so we will have family to go to but niether of us has ever set foot on Australian turf.

We have been planning this move for 6 years so have not taken it lightly but we are quite simply skint until we sell our house and I'm guessing our visas will be through by Oct/Nov so we are just gonna pack up anf go!

Bring on the adventure!

Clare :shocked:

Guest Chris14

Im starting my plans for moving out next summer. Ive never been to Oz before. I know a lot of family and friends who have been who all say i'll fit in a dream, and im damn pretty sure its the right move for me. Gotta take risks in life some times! If it doesnt work out, back home i'll come!

Guest gundry

Hi there, new on here.I'm also a nurse and have to score 8 on the academic test.How did you find this?