Best eastern / inner-north suburbs in Melbourne for kids and families

Guest PiyushSiwach

Guest PiyushSiwach

Hi Everyone

Having tried my best to google out the answer to the my dilemma regarding the best possible suburb to stay in Melbourne in our particular circumstances, I thought it would be best to have the opinion of the people who have stayed there or are themselves researching about this subject currently.

I am presently staying in New Delhi, India. I would be moving to Melbourne with my family, including my wife and two girls, aged 6 and 4, some time in September. This was a difficult decision to make. The kids have got used to a big social circle of family and friends and rarely a weekend goes by without a get together, party or night stays. They are busy on weekdays with their swimming and tekwondo classes. I explain this because the most important of my wife's and mine concern is the possibility of outright rejection of the new environment by our kids, who might feel a sudden vacuum, coming from the ever happening schedule back home.

I and my wife would both be working 8 to 5. Her workplace is Footscray and I would be working at Gelnroy and St. Albans, probably splitting my days of the week between the two. I have been warned about the northern and western suburbs by acquaintances in Melbourne, but I think I have no choice to move anywhere east or south of the city, as it would substantially increase the commuting time. Can someone please suggest the best suburb for us considering:

1. We want to spend minimum time traveling (preferably less that 30 minutes for my wife and 45 minutes for me), so that we are able to spend the maximum possible time with the kids, and maybe take them to any extracurricular activity in the evening.
  2. We want the kids to accept the new place, which I think would require a family friendly place, good schools, extra-curricular activities such as sports, nearby parks etc.
  3. We would both be traveling by car, so proximity to public transport would not be a consideration.
  4. Rent would not be a prohibitive factor.
  5. Multicultural (or to put it another way, racially tolerant).
  6. Dominant professional class (not the most important criteria).

Based on these criteria, I figured that Williamstown, Moonee Ponds and Essendon might be a good options for us. Other options, less favorable in terms of proximity to workplace are inner-northern suburbs Kensington, Parkville, Carlton, North Melbourne, but nothing east of Fitzroy. Can anyone suggest the best suburb for us in the given circumstances and also suggest if any other suburbs within 30 minute commute from Footscray in peak traffic hours.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Piyush

Take a look at Ivanhoe & Heidelberg, they have some nice areas....... but I personally would stay clear of Heidelberg Heights and West. I'd say that Melbourne is a very multicultural city, so doubt you'll have any racial problems :)

Good luck

Guest PiyushSiwach

Thanks Olly,

But what wpould you suggest between Williamstown and Essendon / Moonee Ponds. I had the opportunity to visit Williamstown during my last visit to Melbourne and found the place picturesque, specially the bayside views, but it looked more like a place for retirees and tourists. From what I gathered on the internet, Essendon and Moonee Ponds are probably where families live, with good schools for the kids. I may be mistaken because this opinion is only based on a single visit and information on the internet forums like this one. We would like the kids to get into the thick of things as soon as we settle, school, studies, sports, music and whatever the suburb has to offer. Your suggestions is most appreciated!!