Singapore airlines - visa proof

Lauren82

We are flying over with singapore airlines. We have unused 176 visas so are entitled to their double baggage allowance. My concern is they don't check visas until you are at the check in desk.

We applied for our visa online so does anybody know, if we print the DIAC approval emails and online visa status will this keep them happy? or when they scan our passports is it all linked?

• 2 weeks later...
We are flying over with singapore airlines. We have unused 176 visas so are entitled to their double baggage allowance. My concern is they don't check visas until you are at the check in desk.

We applied for our visa online so does anybody know, if we print the DIAC approval emails and online visa status will this keep them happy? or when they scan our passports is it all linked?

We went with SA to validate in May, we took email but the check-in desk said we could not have 40kgs each as we had a return ticket, we asked them to check with a supervisor and after a cold sweat they confirmed that is allowed.

I think the system is silly if the check-in desk does not know how many passengers will have double weight allowance in advance.

Still it is nice to have.

Guest siamsusie
We went with SA to validate in May, we took email but the check-in desk said we could not have 40kgs each as we had a return ticket, we asked them to check with a supervisor and after a cold sweat they confirmed that is allowed.

I think the system is silly if the check-in desk does not know how many passengers will have double weight allowance in advance.

Still it is nice to have.

We have to remember that the airlines are offering a service which categorically states holders of a permanent visa (in many cases) on a one way ticket would be entitled to 30/40kgs.

This is a tremendous "gift" given to us migrants, therefore I would adhere to the rules without complaint.

Susie

That's right. Only permanent visa holders are usually entiteld to the extra luggage.

However, we got an extra 10 kg each (the two of us) on a temporary long stay 457 (flying out to Oz for the first time) with Singapore after I emailed them nicely.

All we needed to do on the day of our departure was to show the visa sticker in our passports while checking-in, but they were very well organised and there has already been made a note on their system that as gesture of goodwill we were entitled to 30kg each. Also those 60kg could be used on any amount of suitcases. We just had to make sure that none of the bags weighed more than 33 kg.

It was very easy to communicate with Singapore and they were very friendly and helpful all the time which means I will use them again.

Guest siamsusie
That's right. Only permanent visa holders are usually entiteld to the extra luggage.

However, we got an extra 10 kg each (the two of us) on a temporary long stay 457 (flying out to Oz for the first time) with Singapore after I emailed them nicely.

All we needed to do on the day of our departure was to show the visa sticker in our passports while checking-in, but they were very well organised and there has already been made a note on their system that as gesture of goodwill we were entitled to 30kg each. Also those 60kg could be used on any amount of suitcases. We just had to make sure that none of the bags weighed more than 33 kg.

It was very easy to communicate with Singapore and they were very friendly and helpful all the time which means I will use them again.

Good post marta.. It actually is 32kg for H & S reasons.

As you quite rightly say it is "goodwill" which is so often abused and how wonderful that on a 457 you were allocated this allowance.:notworthy:

Susie x

We have to remember that the airlines are offering a service which categorically states holders of a permanent visa (in many cases) on a one way ticket would be entitled to 30/40kgs.

This is a tremendous "gift" given to us migrants, therefore I would adhere to the rules without complaint.

Susie

First my post was not a complaint, and second the rule states you may take a double allowance on a unvalidated permanent visa. :yes:

It does not state 'on a one way ticket'. :shocked:

So I was 'adhering to the rules'.

We are not the only people who have had to validate but return to the UK to complete a house sale and therefore I thought my post was useful to anyone in those circumstances.

If SA has a system where they put on which flight someone has been given double allowance (confirmed by the email we took with us) in our case they did not do that hence the confusion at check-in.

You have posted lots of very useful facts and :idea: about airlines Susie but on this part you are incorrect. :wubclub:

P.S. Sorry if my post sounds prickly, but we expected to exchange Friday and it did not happen.

Guest siamsusie
First my post was not a complaint, and second the rule states you may take a double allowance on a unvalidated permanent visa. :yes:

It does not state 'on a one way ticket'. :shocked:

So I was 'adhering to the rules'.

We are not the only people who have had to validate but return to the UK to complete a house sale and therefore I thought my post was useful to anyone in those circumstances.

If SA has a system where they put on which flight someone has been given double allowance (confirmed by the email we took with us) in our case they did not do that hence the confusion at check-in.

You have posted lots of very useful facts and :idea: about airlines Susie but on this part you are incorrect. :wubclub:

P.S. Sorry if my post sounds prickly, but we expected to exchange Friday and it did not happen.

I accept your critics Les, and you are within your rights to be prickly, I am sorry to hear about your house.

I agree with you with regards to application per passenger on the system and according to my son who works for SA this is work in progress.

I personally wasnt having a go at you, and probably had written my post poorly, but trying to place the emphasis on that fact that in general additional luggage allowances is more "good will" then a right.

I hope your sale proceeds quickly Les:hug:

Susie x