Moving back to UK in six to nine months

OzzHammer

Hey all, first post so go easy on me :wink:

Our story: We came to Oz in April 2004 on a scouting holiday after living and breathing moving to Oz for 18 months. Managed to grab some interviews while here and after being back in the UK for a couple of months we got a call asking when I could start. So.....we arrived in Melbourne in March 2005 and I have worked for the same employer for all of the six and a half years we have been here. The first 18 months were very hard, but we listened to others telling us - Yep its hard at first you'll get past it don't worry. Well we have come to the conclusion that although we have a good lifestyle, double storey house, flat screens etc etc - it means nothing when your eleven year old son can't even talk to his grandma over the phone becaue he falls apart.....bless him he hasn't spoken to any cousins in four years now. My wife is doing it hard also, school holidays, public holidays, but mostly Christmas - well it isn't Christmas really as far as we are concerned - it isn't cold for a start and there's no family around more importantly. So with all of this in mind, and after some soul searching we had made the decision that family and friends come first and so we are going to move back to the UK whether I have a job or not. I cannot stand the thought of my wife and two kids not being happy.....wow glad I've got that off my chest :biggrin:

Ideally, we'd like to move back to our old village (Berkhamsted, Herts) but I guess we'll have to be within an hour or so drive (for me) of where I would hopefully find work. I've spoken to some friends who still live around the Watford area who tell me I'm mad thinking of coming back, but they don't understand the situation here with an unhappy family.

Feedback appreciated, although it won't change our minds LMAO.

It is a hard decision. Many have done it.

Just a thought though get citizenship for all of you before you leave, looks like you qualify. Then as many do you can return to Oz at any time.

Just I have seen many posts from people who regret not doing this down the line..............

Good luck on your return.

We are hopefully going back to Oz to try for a second time next year.

Hi and welcome.

We are from Tring, just next door, what a small world. :wink:

We have just returned from a 5 weeks visit back there and just loved it all over again, it is a lovely part of the UK. Have you been back since moving to Melbourne? Are you going back to Berkhamsted?

Well, after our visit we decided that we're definitely moving back, not sure when though, it mainly depends on finances. Our reasons for moving back are the same like you, just want to be with family again and to be part of their lives again. I don't like Christmas here either, I'm already dreading this Christmas coming, it just doesn't feel right, especially without family, and no amount of sunshine and beautiful beaches can compensate for that, the feeling of emptiness just never goes away.

Anyway, as for jobs, could you not work in London if you live in Berkhamsted? To be really honest, that is the only thing that worries me about moving back, although personally I don't know anyone who lost their job, but they haven't got much payrise either.

Personally, I would be only comfortable to move back if I know that at least one of us had a job lined up, but that's just me, when we moved out here, I had a job waiting for me, if didn't, I'd probably wouldn't haave come.

It is really up to you, you could always try just sending your CV to Uk job application sites or contact an agency, and you might get some feedback.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think or say, they haven't been in your situation and we are all different, after all it is your life.

Good luck.

Yup, you are not Robinson Crusoe there, plenty of us dont find this the place we belong in for a whole range of reasons. Dont expect to go back to what you had though, think of this as the next step forward in your life and you will be fine.

Good luck, nothing beats belonging!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hopefully in the 6 years or so you have managed to buy your own house, because if you have you will be trebley lucky, firstly house prices have zoomed up in Australia over the last 6 years, secondly house prices have slumped here in the uk and you can get some real bargains and thirdly and best of all the money you will make on your house in Australia, you will get a fantastic return on, when changing your dollars into pounds ............. so hopefully you are in this envious position. I am sure you have citizenship with being there so long, if not i would advise you to get it, alot come back to the uk and decide its not what they imagined and want to go back to Australia. I am sure work will be ok, its better darn sarth, than up north. Best of luck, the uk is still a great country to live in.

we are also returning in less than a week.... similar reasons, family & our kids growing up without (we have no family in Oz) other reasons too but they are immaterial. Starting to feel a bit sad now, because it is an end of an era (10 yrs in total away from UK) but for us we just don't see our future here & although we could stay here short-term, it is the long term we are thinking of.

We are moving to a new area, which for us I think will give us that challenge that we need & plus we are different people for the ones that left over 10 yrs ago. Also am expecting the first 12-18 mths to be a hurdle interms of reverse-culture shock! & adapting but we will work through it. (nothing can be more challenging than bringing up x2 kids 5yrs & under, other side of the world on your own & with x1 who is as bright as a button & absolutely lurves school & would happily go everyday, but instead has only x2 days a wk available to him & is going stir crazy with boredom on the other days!)

We are really missing the balance & when you start questioning what a "better quality of life is?" for us it has to include the people that mean the most to us & who's company we enjoy, otherwise you wonder, is it actually a better quality of life?

Good luck with your move. If you are somewhere you want to be & feel you belong & with the right mindset & positivity, you will make it work & things will fall into place. Good luck:)

p.s re the job front, don't forget something like 30% of jobs are not advertised. Do some networking, make contact with ex-work colleagues, join LInkedin & contact companies directly. It is a numbers game & you will find something.

good luck with what you decide

only you can decide wots best for you and your family

have you thought of going back for a reccie trip to c your family and friends but think

this is how we would live and why did we move to start with xxx

where in melbourne are you x we have been here 18 months and we are not lookin to stay in melbourne made loads of friends x but it it just isnt us x

and one day we shall move on when the time is right and we have the money x

dont forget people have moved on in the uk and that jobs are scarce and money is very tight in the uk now xxxx

just a thought xxx

carole xxx

Our story: We came to Oz in April 2004 on a scouting holiday after living and breathing moving to Oz for 18 months. Managed to grab some interviews while here and after being back in the UK for a couple of months we got a call asking when I could start. So.....we arrived in Melbourne in March 2005 and I have worked for the same employer for all of the six and a half years we have been here. The first 18 months were very hard, but we listened to others telling us - Yep its hard at first you'll get past it don't worry. Well we have come to the conclusion that although we have a good lifestyle, double storey house, flat screens etc etc - it means nothing when your eleven year old son can't even talk to his grandma over the phone becaue he falls apart.....bless him he hasn't spoken to any cousins in four years now. My wife is doing it hard also, school holidays, public holidays, but mostly Christmas - well it isn't Christmas really as far as we are concerned - it isn't cold for a start and there's no family around more importantly. So with all of this in mind, and after some soul searching we had made the decision that family and friends come first and so we are going to move back to the UK whether I have a job or not. I cannot stand the thought of my wife and two kids not being happy.....wow glad I've got that off my chest :biggrin:

Ideally, we'd like to move back to our old village (Berkhamsted, Herts) but I guess we'll have to be within an hour or so drive (for me) of where I would hopefully find work. I've spoken to some friends who still live around the Watford area who tell me I'm mad thinking of coming back, but they don't understand the situation here with an unhappy family.

Hi there,

We have been back in the UK for around 6/7 weeks after having lived in Vic for 2.5 years.

I still believe that I have made the correct decision but my OH is the complete opposite and would get on the next flight out of here and move back to Oz in a flash.........suffice to say that he would be making the journey alone as I do not wish to return.

Such is the life of immigration !

We both secured full time jobs within weeks of arriving back home - although I continue to wait for my Scottish Disclosure to come through before I can actually start my job (my Australian one was here within a week...........1 point to Australia.

I have stated before that I see no major differences from when I left 2.5 years ago..........everyone is still moaning (but as a country, we do that so well !!!) The only time we are happy as a nation is when we are unhappy...........

At the end of the day, we all have different wants and needs.....................I did enjoy Australia but I enjoy the UK more.

Yes, we too have had our fair share of people saying......"are you mad - why come back here"...it does usually silence them when you retort.........."have you moved overseas"

Good luck to you - hope it all works out well

Yeah done it myself hammer .....it was bloody hard going when we came back for the same reasons in 94....love it now though , so glad we came back .....you know all the negatives .....heres a few positives ....LONDON voted one of the 3 greatest cities in the world .....EUROPE on your doorstep ......we are off round europe on saturday ....cant beat it ..... ps If you give me your return date i will have a friendly delegation of MILLWALL waiting to welcome you home:biglaugh:

Yeah done it myself hammer .....it was bloody hard going when we came back for the same reasons in 94....love it now though , so glad we came back .....you know all the negatives .....heres a few positives ....LONDON voted one of the 3 greatest cities in the world .....EUROPE on your doorstep ......we are off round europe on saturday ....cant beat it ..... ps If you give me your return date i will have a friendly delegation of MILLWALL waiting to welcome you home:biglaugh:

ps ....if you are moving down south you will be ok ..........drove down to London the other week ....recession what recession .

London as you know doesnt operate like the rest of the UK ......place was buzzing

Hi Ozzhammer, we returned to Scotland 4 1/2 months ago after having lived in Australia for 12 years. I have not regretted our decision for one minute. Its good to be home. When we first made the decision we had a lot of work in front of us, selling up, all sorts of paperwork, mental exhaustion etc but we came out the other end feeling happy and content at being 'home' for the first time in many years. We had people telling us we were mad to give up all we had in Oz but you have to bear in mind they are not living your life, you are, and chances are they have a fixed idea of what 'living the dream in Oz' is, which, in my opinion, it is not a dream life if, as in my case, you pined for friends and family and hated the heat and cried every Christmas. All the very best to you and your family for a happy future back in the UK.

cried every Christmas.

-

This is a huge for us, Christmas isn't Christmas - no friends or family really just the four of us and that's it.

ps If you give me your return date i will have a friendly delegation of MILLWALL waiting to welcome you home:biglaugh:

-

LOL mate, will do......

p.s re the job front, don't forget something like 30% of jobs are not advertised. Do some networking, make contact with ex-work colleagues, join LInkedin & contact companies directly. It is a numbers game & you will find something.

-

Hi there, I've sent my CV back to some good friends of mine in reasonably high places with the same company in the U.K as I work for here. Also had some othergood contacts handed my way on the quiet at work today from someone who's leaving Friday. Hopefully something will come from this, if not so what, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be honest once we are back. I'll stack shelves if I have to.....nothing wrong with that if it brings in money.

I am australian and married to an englishman... we have been living back out in australia for the last two and a half years after living in Kent.. we went back for a six week holiday and have now decided thats where we would rather be... Makes me think of the saying HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS... xx Good Luck xx

If we had any doubts whatsoever with our decision, we had them quashed tonight seeing our son absolutely beside himself bawling at the though of his grandma and grandpa passing away while we are in Oz. My boy's friend just lost his uncle back in Peterborough and it has really brought it to the forefront of his mind now, he was crying so uncontrollably it tore our hearts out....

Guest mr magoo

Good luck mate. We moved from Knebworth, so not far from you. My Wife three year old son and I have been in Sydney 10mt, We live on the Northern Beaches, and yeah its great, both have good jobs etc. But we are both missing home like crazy!

Really miss family and friends, and british food and shops even TV lol. Still early days for us yet so we are going to stick with it for now.

Hope it works out for you.

Guest thebrindabellas

Hey Guys

We are in a very similar situation to you, weve been in perth for 2 1/2 yrs now and have decieded to go back to the uk. We are in the process of selling our home in perth then will be heading back to the midlands. Weve made loads of friends and also have familiy here but still the pieces of the jigsaw have never quite fitted.

Im excited about the next stage of our lives and getting a better quality of life god ive missed holidays, theatre, concerts, europe, caribbean and esp family time xmas birthday etc etc etc but since being in aus yes we have had a nice house but oh what a price its come at, with that massive mortgage around out necks.....its just not worth it! Bring on the countryside!

Guest Hatton
-

This is a huge for us, Christmas isn't Christmas - no friends or family really just the four of us and that's it.

-

LOL mate, will do......

-

Hi there, I've sent my CV back to some good friends of mine in reasonably high places with the same company in the U.K as I work for here. Also had some othergood contacts handed my way on the quiet at work today from someone who's leaving Friday. Hopefully something will come from this, if not so what, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be honest once we are back. I'll stack shelves if I have to.....nothing wrong with that if it brings in money.

Last xmas was absolutely magical, my other half is an aussie and he could not believe the xmas we had and he loved it....xmas eve we went to the local old pub with the snow a foot deep and with it snowing heavy, got in the pub to a roaring log fire and a glorious display of free pork pie, mince pies, black pudding etc, stayed there till 3 in the morning and walked home in the snow, had a great xmas day with family and more heavy snow, he said it was the most magical xmas ever and was like something out of a fairy tale :jiggy:

Guest Hatton
Good luck mate. We moved from Knebworth, so not far from you. My Wife three year old son and I have been in Sydney 10mt, We live on the Northern Beaches, and yeah its great, both have good jobs etc. But we are both missing home like crazy!

Really miss family and friends, and british food and shops even TV lol. Still early days for us yet so we are going to stick with it for now.

Hope it works out for you.

Good idea, give it a real go in Oz as some come back without giving it a real go and miss Oz.

Guest MonsterMunch

OP, could you ask your work for a transfer back? Don't ask, don't get.....

Good luck with the move. We've only been in Sydney 18 months, but moving back in 4 weeks as baby #1 is due and we wanted to close to friends and family. Ironically, family are so hyper it's doing our heads in and when we went to book our one-way ticket from Sydney to London this morning we were both in tears! I think we're both a bit nervous that we've got some idealistic picture in our heads of what "home" will be like and we'll instantly regret leaving.................. Will let you know in a few weeks time!