Mount Isa...nice place??

Guest Gem2011

Guest Gem2011

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this Forum, infact new to all this "moving to oz" lark...Currently live in the uk, have done all my life...

My husband has recently appiled for a job via an agent, we can go under a 457 sponsorship visa.

The vacancy is in Mount Isa, Queensland...

Can someone please tell me what its like???

I have 2 young children and another on the way, I dont want a life of luxury, just somewhere nice to live, comftable for my children, but I know nothing about this place and we would be moving from our comfort zone...

Any information would be great

Thanks

Gem x

Not visited Isa but have been in the outback and if you could think of anything more different to what UK is like that is what it is like.

Use Google Earth and have a look around.

Its hot, very hot in summer. Its mining and if you do some research by Googling about Mt Isa you will find there are lots of articles about the place as there was a problem with lead there recently.

Bob who is a member here will be able to fill you in.

I am just imagining you in UK and then imagining what you might feel on arrival there. Adventure a big one.

I agree with Petals: do a lot of research because it is as different to the UK as one could probably imagine - except that they speak (a variety of) English there :wink:

This link gives a good overall view. Look closely at the climate figures - in the hotter months the maximum temperatures are close to 100 F and you have to consider whether you could live with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Isa

In 2008 over 10% of the children had lead levels above the recommended WHO guidelines and that would be a concern for me if I was thinking of taking children there.

Also it is a LONG way from anywhere else - over 1100 miles to Brisbane. To get to the coast (Townsville) there is an overnight train.

I dont think "nice" is the way one would describe it. Different, very much and adventure, yes probably but about as different from the UK as you could get and still be in a first world country. Certainly not a migrant's "dream" place I would think

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The druid

Hi.....how did you get on with your info search ? I'm in same boat and could be there in Jan 2012....family staying in UK though

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Mt Isa is not a place to be with young kids if your not used to it the place will be such a massive shock to you, do research and then some more research, Isa is not for the faint hearted, my fathers cousin used to live there for 10 years back in the 70s and now lives in Kooralbyn. best of luck whatever you decide.

We are currently in Townsville and I have met a few people that have moved to Townsville to get away from Mount Isa and Townsville is considered to be quite red neck. From what I can gather its not a great place. I have been to other fairly remote places in Far North Queensland and I would definately never consider living in any of them, it is like another world out there.

Guest SupportPants
We are currently in Townsville and I have met a few people that have moved to Townsville to get away from Mount Isa and Townsville is considered to be quite red neck. From what I can gather its not a great place. I have been to other fairly remote places in Far North Queensland and I would definately never consider living in any of them, it is like another world out there.

Agree with the above completely. Spent a month in Mount Isa and if I thought it was to be any longer I would have had a panic attack. Difficult to give you a comparison - probably big industrial 'rivethead' type town in the Mid West of the US? A high ratio of men to women due to the mining jobs with the heavy drinking and seedier culture that brings. As a young bloke up for adventure and on good money there I'd consider it but not as a family - I think you'd be trying to get out pretty quickly. Good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent some time there on our travels. Interesting place! Property is very expensive as so many people fly in to work in the mines. We had a few great nights out with some really friendly locals who kind of took us under their wings for the time we were there. The women I met told me you have to work hard at keeping your house to get rid of the dust (which is lead) so lot of floor mopping. I'd go back there but maybe not for a really long time, but then I really liked the remote places and the Isa felt like the big city after weeks of being in the outback. It might be a great foot in the door though as jobs are easier to come by than in Brisbane. Any chance you could get out there for a reccie?

• 1 month later...

I lived there for a few years in 90's and I liked it but I agree with most of the posts re the summer heat and the fact that it is essentially a tough mining town - that said there are lots of families there and we made some fantastic friends, everyone is in the same boat so there is a good sense of community (although I found it a bit goldfish bowl like at times). Due to it's remoteness it really is a case of compound living on a large scale.