Guest VickyMel

Cheap pre-paid mobile phone

Guest VickyMel

Hi

I have been using my old cell phone thinking that when I get to Oz I will look around and find a new cell phone - and take a bit of time to look around and find something I want.

However, my battery has pretty much died now and I will need to get something asap at the other end (makes sense to wait for the Oz plug connection). I don't want to rush buy a more expensive phone and so was wondering if there are any basic mobiles that are quite cheap and where is the best place to get one - I think I remember someone saying something about being able to pick one up at a supermarket.

I just need something to talk and sms/txt.

Thanks

Vicky

Hi i was in the same boat as you and picked up a nice one in carphone warehouse, just make sure it is tri or quad band (gsm) They will work fine! :wubclub:

Oz is Beautiful, but the uk is home :wubclub:

Returned to Bournemouth 20th August 2010

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Dawny

Is that the UK carphone warehouse? I was actually hoping to pick something up asap once arriving in Oz so that I had a Oz plug on the end of it.

Vicky

You can pick up a basic phone at the post office, some of the supermarkets have phone sections (needs to be a larger branch of the supermarket probably in a mall), then of course there are the electronics stores which sell a wide range, some convenience stores also sell phones - of course you can always try cash converters. One thing to be aware of though is that some of the cheap phones are network locked so that makes it difficult for example if you choose a Vodafone but find that where you land up living doesnt have good reception and another network would have been better. So probably better to try get one that is not network locked initially so that at least you can try the different service providers and see what suits you.

If it is only the Oz plug you have an issue with then why not get a phone in the UK and just buy a new charger in Oz?

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Zoot - that is great and thank s for the tip about locked phones.

Pretty much any Coles or Woolworths supermarkets sell pre-paids for around $30 upwards. Brand new and no worries about finding a charger.

If you're really desperate, you could buy one at the airport as soon as you clear customs but you'll maybe pay through the nose. (Don't know this for sure as I've never needed to check their prices)

travel adaptor?

I think the OP's battery is on its last legs so an adaptor probably won't help much if she brings it over here.

I advise everyone coming to Aus to bring a short UK extension lead with 4-6 sockets on it...and a UK to Aus adaptor (you can change to an Aus plug on the extension at leisure). Doing it this way you could get any unlocked UK phone now and just get a SIM card here. The SIM cards tend to be effectively free--you pay $15-$30 but get that much in credit. We found SIM cards at the convenience store across the road from our first night's hotel and had our UK phones working while we were still drinking our first celebratory beers in the room!

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

We bought our basic unlocked pre-paid mobiles at KMart but you will also find them at supermarkets such as Coles.

We got the two cheapest unlocked pre-paid mobiles and they were $39 and $49 each without anything on it. However, I think they are a bit rubbishy. (These phones cost around £15 in the UK...)

Then you buy any pre-paid sim card extra (try to compare offers as much as you can > beware most often it's very confusing information).

We decided to go with Optus FOR NOW but I know already that I will not stay with them when I have used up my credit because they seem to have a problem showing the caller's ID so you never know who's calling you - not even your saved numbers will show up when you are called from such a number. This happens even if you tick the correct box on the phone's applications menu. I googled that on the internet and noticed that more people complained about this feature. So here's why I personally would not recommend the Optus pre-paid plan but have a look for yourself.

Good luck!

By one in the uk from phones4u they dont lock there handsets so will work fine over here.

TRA passed NOV 08 175 VISA submitted FEB 09 Vic ss app 9/09/09 granted 23/09/09 changed to 176 now we wait yes we wait!! Waiting over case officer assigned 09/11/2010.Visa grated 10/12/2010:biglaugh:

Guest VickyMel
I think the OP's battery is on its last legs so an adaptor probably won't help much if she brings it over here.

Yep - the battery manages txt OK but fails after about 30 sec talking - although says it is fine after cutting the call.

I advise everyone coming to Aus to bring a short UK extension lead with 4-6 sockets on it...and a UK to Aus adaptor (you can change to an Aus plug on the extension at leisure).

We are using this option we have a couple of extension leads with 4 plug sockets and will use this with an Oz adaptor in the beginning until we start switching plugs. Makes loads of sense.

Thanks guys.

The bags are packed and sitting waiting for the off tomorrow.

Melbourne here we come.

Vicky

I'm not sure if you have arrived yet, but if you haven't sorted yourself out with a phone, a good place to check would be to just walk into a Youth Hostel.

They do some AMAZING Deals for Backpackers, I managed to get a brand new Nokia, with $300 calling credit for only $45!!!

If you just nip in, the receptions normaly have a stash, hidden away somewhere and they will sell you one.

Worked great for my 4 months away. Backpackers often get better deals on certain things, than residents. (Not on everything, but it is often worth a look.)

Hope this helps. :smile:

Arrived on a WHV September 2016, Applied 489 August 2017, granted April 2018. Applied 887 (PR) April 2020, granted August 2020. 

Guest Louey

Hey

Just a quick bit of advice you will need ID to purchase your phone and SIM. So take your passport and if you may need something with your address on. I would recommend get a bank statement printed when you pick up your bank cards. Will also be useful as you need proof of address for driving licence.

Agreed with everything others have said and would go for a cheap unlocked phone.

Guest VickyMel
I'm not sure if you have arrived yet, but if you haven't sorted yourself out with a phone, a good place to check would be to just walk into a Youth Hostel.

They do some AMAZING Deals for Backpackers, I managed to get a brand new Nokia, with $300 calling credit for only $45!!!

I will check the backpackers out as someone has lent me a phone briefly so I am still looking but it took the urgency off and that is a great offer.

Hey

Just a quick bit of advice you will need ID to purchase your phone and SIM. So take your passport and if you may need something with your address on. I would recommend get a bank statement printed when you pick up your bank cards. Will also be useful as you need proof of address for driving licence.

Agreed with everything others have said and would go for a cheap unlocked phone.

Found out the hard way we needed the ID for the SIM - needed two trips which was a pain with the jet lag.

Going to the bank tomorrow - really useful comment about getting the bank statement printed for proof of address. I have already been told a few times I will need one for different things.

Thanks guys

The jet lag is slowly wearing off although I am looking forward to having a decent nights sleep at some time - soon hopefully. Already had one interview but I was in the clouds with jet lag and can't remember that much of it!

Vicky

Hi

I have been using my old cell phone thinking that when I get to Oz I will look around and find a new cell phone - and take a bit of time to look around and find something I want.

However, my battery has pretty much died now and I will need to get something asap at the other end (makes sense to wait for the Oz plug connection). I don't want to rush buy a more expensive phone and so was wondering if there are any basic mobiles that are quite cheap and where is the best place to get one - I think I remember someone saying something about being able to pick one up at a supermarket.

I just need something to talk and sms/txt.

Thanks

Vicky

Vicky , ive had to do the same and now had it over a yr and its still going strong ,its a simple to use samsung $20 from good guys , just bang your own sim in it ..........

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x