How Much Holidays do you get in Oz

newjez

7 weeks holiday? What are you one of those unemployed people that they fiddle the statistics by calling a "public sector worker"? The norm is the UK is 4 weeks plus bank holidays i.e. 28 days (29 this year and next).

Guest turboman

You get the queens birthday off work, you don't in the uk.

Work is so much more laid back in Aus so you don't get so stressed.

Not so many hitler women bosses lol

Worked as an electrician in Aus.

7 weeks holiday? What are you one of those unemployed people that they fiddle the statistics by calling a "public sector worker"? The norm is the UK is 4 weeks plus bank holidays i.e. 28 days (29 this year and next).

I work for government and I sure as sh*t work and can not be called unemployed, we get 30 days plus 10.5 privilege and bank holidays!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

You get the queens birthday off work, you don't in the uk.

Work is so much more laid back in Aus so you don't get so stressed.

Not so many hitler women bosses lol

Worked as an electrician in Aus.

You do get queens birthday in the UK if you are a civil servant......

I work for government and I sure as sh*t work and can not be called unemployed, we get 30 days plus 10.5 privilege and bank holidays!

A job in the real world in the UK doesn't get as many holidays.

Government jobs in Aus get standard 4 weeks. Then there is the 'personal leave' or whatever they call it which you are expected to take and that is about 2 weeks. Then where my wife works they all work an extra half an hour a day to accrue an extra day a month off. Plus of course the bank holidays. Not bad at all.

I work in IT, I get 20 days plus bank holidays (but unlike the UK, holidays are accrued for each month you work and don't expire at the end of the year).

When I explained the 'use it or lose it' holiday system in the UK the look of horror on their faces was a sight. :biggrin:

Should also mention long service leave - my years of service were carried over when I transferred (I work for the same company in Aus as I did in the UK) - so an extra 2 months were added to my accrued holiday. Which took a bit of the pain out of dropping to 20 days from 26 days leave.

Guest guest30038

Qld Health pay 6 weeks leave per year (Accruable) if you work shifts, 5 if not on shifts. There is also an option to double that if you take half pay. Also 3 days paid professional leave is available for study.

Long service leave of 1.3 weeks for each year of service is accrued after 10yrs service and is accrued annually from there on in. It can be taken as leave or cash in lieu.

Paid carers leave is also available if you need to care for a sick family member. this doesn't come out of your annual leave (unless requested) but out of your sick leave.

Guest siamsusie

I have just asked Mr Siam why LSV?

He said it was originally given to the Poms to give them adequate home leave going back to the UK!

Is this true Kev?

A job in the real world in the UK doesn't get as many holidays.

Government jobs in Aus get standard 4 weeks. Then there is the 'personal leave' or whatever they call it which you are expected to take and that is about 2 weeks. Then where my wife works they all work an extra half an hour a day to accrue an extra day a month off. Plus of course the bank holidays. Not bad at all.

'personal leave' is just sick and carers leave....you are not officially expected to use it but rather only if you have to so wouldn't normally be classed as holiday leave.

In oz I get 6 weeks annual leave and 12 public hols.

Guest guest30038
I have just asked Mr Siam why LSV?

He said it was originally given to the Poms to give them adequate home leave going back to the UK!

Is this true Kev?

I doubt it....................since when have the Aussies ever thought about accomodating their whingeing cousins? :wink:

Seriously, yes. It was know as furlough in the days of the colonies allowing extra time for military and public servants to sail home. It's unique to OZ and NZ with some Indian public servants traditionally in receipt also...............again, a relic of the Raj and English colonisation.

Guest siamsusie

Well its a great idea folks, we can do our years train travel knowing that salaries are being paid as per usual lol