Where to live in Melbourne???

Guest AndyandAlly

Guest AndyandAlly

Hi

We have been looking at where to live in Melbourne, our friends are in Old Mount Martha renting at the moment and they really love it, but I don't know if we can afford to buy there?:nah:. We didn't want a big morgage, although we would like a 3 bedroom with study or a 4 bedroom place, Mount Martha looks lovely but a little pricey, would like to be near the beach....but not on it if you get my drift....??

It also depends on OH's job....but we have been also looking at, Lyndhurst and Cranbourne North (New Builds)...up to $350K

I have heard that Frankston and dandelong are not a DES RES place - any others to avoid?? and any other areas to consider - help???:notworthy:

Thanks guys

Ally

x

if you let me know your email address or pm me i can send you a copy of the 'Where to Live in Melbourne' PDF, it tells you the best places, schools, crime hotspots etc. Its been an invaluable document for us and our search for the best suburb to live. We will initially be renting in Mount Eliza hoping to eventually buy there.

Guest AndyandAlly
if you let me know your email address or pm me i can send you a copy of the 'Where to Live in Melbourne' PDF, it tells you the best places, schools, crime hotspots etc. Its been an invaluable document for us and our search for the best suburb to live. We will initially be renting in Mount Eliza hoping to eventually buy there.

Thanks for that, I have sent you an E-mail,

cheers

ally

x

Guest jonseywife

Hiya

Were heading for Mornington or Frankston south which is not as pricey but just as lovely !!

Try this link, it has piccies and a few details about the area:

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/mornington/

I would definately await "Lesley the wise one's" reply (THE JONZEYS) :notworthy:

Coz she's already DOWN UNDER AND LUVIN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Sally-ann

Guest AndyandAlly
Hiya

Were heading for Mornington or Frankston south which is not as pricey but just as lovely !!

Try this link, it has piccies and a few details about the area:

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/mornington/

I would definately await "Lesley the wise one's" reply (THE JONZEYS) :notworthy:

Coz she's already DOWN UNDER AND LUVIN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Sally-ann

Thanks for that, looked on there the piccis look lovely,

Is it a true reflection though ?? where are the no go areas are? if there are any?

Am I right in thinking that the quicker we try to buy in a place in a des res area, we will settle and make more of a go of it or should we rent....for what 6 months or 2 years?? what have others done? I'm just having a stress....bare with me xx

Ally

xx

Guest jonseywife

Hi Ally

We're going to rent for 6 months in Mornington to get a feel for the place and maybe stay a night or two in surounding areas just to make sure. We're not gonna leave it any longer because like you say, the prices are rising all the time, but then we don't want to rush into it !!!!!!!! :wacko: So dont worry. your not the only one that gets confused !!!!

I've heard more than once on here that North Frankston & Dandelong is not so good and best to avoid, so there is no smoke withour fire I say !!!!

Trouble is everyones list of wants & opinions vary so much, its best to wait till you get there, but obviously do some research first to narrow some places down !

Sally-ann

Guest THE JONEZYS

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH ITS ALL BEEN HAPPENIN WHILE I'VE BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED!!

Actually Shall, it's been 9months 2 weeks n 4 days.

Ally sorry I haven't got back to your PM. We have had a mega weekend and then Pauls bday on monday......didn't even have time for a chat on MSN with Sally-ann.

Anyway........will lend and send my EXPERT opinion to you promptly.

Lesley ........OFFICIAL PIO KNOW IT ALL!!

Andy and Ally,

We have spent the best part of last week scouring real estate agents and driving through areas to get a feel for places. We have discussed areas to live with my Aunt (Aussie by birth) and my Uncle (a ten pound pom been here 33 ish years). We knew we'd found the right place when we looked in Mornington. We will be signing a 12 month lease on a 3 bed property in Mornington in a few days (our first application for a house and it was approved!) and hopefully will be buying our own property to move into once the lease is up.

We met up with Lesley last week for coffee. She hasn't changed since our first meeting in the UK! She shared with us some of her experiences as a NEW resident in Australia and we found it most helpful. We hope that in time we will be able to share our knowledge with others as well.

Guest THE JONEZYS
Lesley ,,,your EXPERT opinion is always welcome on Poms In OZ and please dont let some not-right (:arghh:)make it any different,,keep advising girl ,you help soooo many folks on here!!!:wubclub:dont you dare go quiet on us now!

Cal x

Thanx Cal

I may not be an official "chatter box".........but it will take more than that little s*&%t stirrer to shut me up!!:chatterbox::chatterbox:

Lesley x

Guest jonseywife
Thanx Cal

I may not be an official "chatter box".........but it will take more than that little s*&%t stirrer to shut me up!!:chatterbox::chatterbox:

Lesley x

So your saying your a "gobby know it all " then Lesley !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Only kidding hun... you know we all love ya loads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

animated3.gif

Sally-ann xxxxxxxx

Guest blondies
Hi

We have been looking at where to live in Melbourne, our friends are in Old Mount Martha renting at the moment and they really love it, but I don't know if we can afford to buy there?:nah:. We didn't want a big morgage, although we would like a 3 bedroom with study or a 4 bedroom place, Mount Martha looks lovely but a little pricey, would like to be near the beach....but not on it if you get my drift....??

It also depends on OH's job....but we have been also looking at, Lyndhurst and Cranbourne North (New Builds)...up to $350K

I have heard that Frankston and dandelong are not a DES RES place - any others to avoid?? and any other areas to consider - help???:notworthy:

Thanks guys

Ally

x

DON'T KNOCK THE FRANKSTON MASSIVE!! HA HA HA

We live in Frankston and its really not that bad...infact its very entertaining!!!LOL

not sure why it gets the bad press it does..and you can escape to Melbourne for a day/night and get the train back its quite fantastic.

Donna x

Guest mazza007

I am going to do another reccie on my own 6 weeks before we actually go.

I will visit potential schools before they break up for hols and try to secure a place for my 5 year old girl. Accommodation needs to be close to school or a school bus route.

This way, I can hopefully arrange a suitable rental for when we go with the kids!

A lot of hassle, but its just not easy!!!!

Mazza

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest srray2710

Hi guys,

My husband just got a job offer in Melbourne and we are planning to relocate in March. Can anybody suggest a family friendly suburb within 30 mins (by train) to Central Melbourne? We have 15 months old boy and expecting another baby in May so really looking for a location that is near daycare/nursery, shops and park.

Saw a pdf guide on where to live in Melbourne.. is it useful? Anyone has a copy that you can share?

Many thanks for your help!

There are quite a few places you could buy and be not far from the beach. It only takes us about 10-15 minutes to get to the beach and we prefer the Westernport Beaches to the Port Phillip ones. Not so crowded.

The Frankston bogeyman about again, there is nothing wrong with Frankston, its just some part of it and given that at last count over a hundred thousand people lived in the council area I think you could imagine they are all not unhappy.

South Frankston, Lakewood, Langwarrin are all fine and lots of nice houses with pools etc. Also South Frankston is on the hill. A lot of the houses would be out of your price range but there are still bargains to be had. Just avoid Tahnee Lodge as its now going to overlook the Peninsula Link Freeway, was a very pricey estate though. Not so sure on prices now.

Dandenong again the centre is pretty dire and very multicultural however if you looked at some areas of North Dandenong or Endeavour Hills could be ok.

We are happy here in Somerville up on top of the hill, as we can get everywhere very easily on the Peninsula.

If people like country Pearcedale is a nice quiet suburb, doggy and horsey area.

Depends where you are going to work really and how long a commute you want. Personally I find the commute from Mt Martha, Mornington to the CBD a bit too long and tiring. I worked in Dandenong so it was just the right commute for me and my oh worked in Carrum so the same for him.

Good luck

Guest mazza007

If you have good cashflow, then look at Bayside. Beaumaris is packed with poms!

We live in Hampton and love it!

Good Luck

Mazza

Archived