Townsville

SteveinOz

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tandcmum
Good question Tandcmum I was thinking of a thin rain coat looking at some of the weather reports. Soo looking forward to it. Gonna treat it like a holiday for a month.

I'd love to treat it as a bit of a holiday but I think it will be chaos with so much to sort out and do once we arrive, plus starting work on top of that, we will have a couple of days in Brisbane on the way over though to get my nursing registration sorted out so we can kick back and chill then a bit and get over the jetlag

Sorry to put a damper on all of you people going to Townsville but..... I worked their from August to January and from November on it was unbearable, hot, humid and it doesn't even let up at night. I had to leave I couldn't hack it and I had already been living in Perth WA for 6 years before that.

Guest tandcmum
I meant my clothes. Living out of a suitcase for a month.

ah okay, i see, we will be pretty much doing that too, 23kg each is not going to make for a lot of belongings going with us

Guest martin and leah

hi we been here for nearly 4 weeks now.loving it too just trying find the misses any job how did your kids get into work. where you living. we fell in love with the place

Guest martin and leah

replying to miss jilly yeah yownsville is one of the hottest and most humid places around but thats why we come to oz, i took to the heat straight away doesnt bother me at all, humidity does go away after feb believe you me the place is paradise we love it so much so much to see and the strand is stunning

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry to put a damper on all of you people going to Townsville but..... I worked their from August to January and from November on it was unbearable, hot, humid and it doesn't even let up at night. I had to leave I couldn't hack it and I had already been living in Perth WA for 6 years before that.

We are further North and find the most humid is Dec/January/February. We have 9 months of no humidity it's perfect.

Guest haunted1234

im in Cairns, and haven't struggled as much as i thought with the humidity...have spoken to Aussies who have moved here from Brisbane and theyre moving back becuase they say the heat is unbearable! i don't find it unbearable...especially when im in the pool with a beer :o)

Guest silversunpickup

Hi everyone,

Just gotta say it isn't that bad. Sure it gets hot and humid here in the summer, but everywhere has aircon. And at night you just leave it on. So the only time you really feel the heat is when you leave you aircon car to walk into your aircon office or your aircon house. So dont let it put you off at all. Townsville is beautiful. We have been here about 4 years now. And the winter will blow you away.

To everyone who is coming here - Enjoy!

Keith

Have to agree with silversunpickup, weve been here almost 4yrs yes the humidity is disgusting but we choose not to use the aircon as most do, we have aircon on in bedroom for an hr and cope pretty well. for those arriving april wow we arrived last week of march and for the 1st and 2nd winter we wore shorts and strappy vests u may have a few strange looks but dont worry its quite funny seeing people in fleeces and saying its cold i was like cold r u for real its lovely lol but we have acclimatised and winter does get nippy but jeans and a tshirt is fine in the day and during the evening may need a fleece. Its a beautiful place plenty for adults and kids alike, i personally found it hard to get a job but im not the skilled person and awful to say bit of billy bull**** managed to get a job think its the norm.

Annandale, kalynda, kirwan areas are pretty good places to live, everything is within 15mins away and i havent been stuck in a traffic jam ever.

Plenty of places to have meals and drinks we find it quite expensive to eat out prob coz of all the beer my hubby drinks:biggrin: but there are places with offers on.

Defo agree look in the bully it has a great weekend paper with job pages house pages and also cars, wednesday is also job page day, plus they have days where u can get some great second hand furniture etc.

Good luck to everyone who have just made the move and to all those on thier way

suex

Not a bad thing for all concerned all things considered :SLEEP:

Hi guys couple of questions.

What are the internet speeds around Townsville like? Are there any good bad areas?

Do they have bank holidays i.e. is the 7th May a holiday

Also is anyone else going to Groovin the Moo on the 6th of May hoping to see the Kaiser chiefs?

Cheers in advance,

Shinner

Hey All

I guess as one of Townsvilles newest poms I can comment on some of this!

Got here 23rd Jan it is hot and humid! You do need aircon in your car and home I did a silly ammount of walking around when I first got here and stayed in a hostel that didnt have air con in the communal areas! I did a lotof running in the UK and its too hot for that at the moment but you do start to get used to it! I bought a raincoat and havent worn itjust too hot!

Bank holidays try this webpage http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-and-safe-work/industrial-relations/public-holidays/dates

In terms of areas to live depends what you want as townsville is very spread out I have come from Manchester so a bit of a shock tot he system the strand and north ward are nice areas if you want to be able to have the cafe lifestyle, im living in douglas on the river which is beautiful and really near my job at the uni! I have a list somewhere from 'a townsvillian' ;-) of good places to lice will track it down!

It is beautifull saw wallabies on the way to work and parrots on the way home every day :-)

ANy other questions let me know!

Ops almost forgot!

Internet! It is slower I think full stop than the UK as I said I came from Manchester so have had a horrid shock as to how slow it is but I understand they are in the process of putting in fibre optics to s....peed it up! But dont expect to be able to download as fast as you can in the UK....in fact it took 20 mins to upload one pic to facebook ...im hoping it gets better!

Guest martin and leah

hi surfy brit we moved over on 19th jan from manchester area as well, we loving it out here you soon climatise to it nowhere near as bad as was few wks ago. we live in annandale which is lovely area too. you been visiting any attractions yet, you come over specific for work

Guest silversunpickup

Hey Shinner,

This is by no means a definitive guide to the good & bad parts of townsville and I dont mean to offend anybody who already lives in these areas but here are a few places I wouldn't chose to live. Rasmussen, Vincent, Heatley, Condon. Also parts of Kirwan, Kelso, Aitkenvale, Cranbrook can be a bit hit & miss.

Some good suburbs: Fairfield Waters, Annandale, North Ward, Douglas (Riverside Gardens), Mysterton, Mundingburra, Belgian Gardens

Like I said, this isn't a straight up & down thing, there are good & bad aspects of EVERY suburb, but I hope this helps & congrats on all those coming/arrived in Townsville, it's an amazing place to live.

Cheers Silversunpickup

Just need to get a map of the area now and we can start marking off the suburbs with good and bad points.

Quite like to be on the coast, what do you think of Pallarenda? Was looking at Bushland Beach but I feel we need to be close to work (airport) and a bit closer to work colleagues.

Ta

Hi Shiner!

I have been back though my emails and my boss said this when I asked where to live...

The only places I would recommend you avoid are Condon, Rasmussen and Kelso,

Martin and Leah!

Hello! Yeah I live in Riverside Garden which is nice and close to the uni where I work! Heat seems to have calmed down a little at least you are right there? Yes I cam over for work! What about you? Where are you working?

I havent seen that many landmarks yet! I have been to the strand and rockpool not up Castle Hill yet what about you?

The townsville poms seem to be increasing in number

Guest silversunpickup
Hi Shiner!

I have been back though my emails and my boss said this when I asked where to live...

The only places I would recommend you avoid are Condon, Rasmussen and Kelso,

Martin and Leah!

Hello! Yeah I live in Riverside Garden which is nice and close to the uni where I work! Heat seems to have calmed down a little at least you are right there? Yes I cam over for work! What about you? Where are you working?

I havent seen that many landmarks yet! I have been to the strand and rockpool not up Castle Hill yet what about you?

The townsville poms seem to be increasing in number

Lol surfybrit, there are a few of us here yeah, (but not as many as all the other big cities so it's all good!).

So will I see you soon on my morning jog up castle hill? ;)

Shinner, yep Pallaranda is beautiful, it's not a huge suburb though so you need to keep a watchful eye on when houses come up. Rowes bay (next suburb) is nice too although a bit more expensive that Pallaranda

You're right bushland beach (and all the northern beaches) are just far enough to make commuting a chore. Although they have recently improved the roads so it doesn't bottle neck so much at rush hour. we also though about 'Bushy' a few years back, but like you, were put off by the distance. Are you gonna be working int the CBD?

Guest silversunpickup
Hi Silversunpickup

Need to be close to the airport but not too close for noise. Rowes Bay looks nice and will keep my eye on properties coming up for rent.

Thanks.

Shinner,

In my list of horror suburbs I forgot to mention Garbutt. It is the airport suburb & currently has the highest crime rate of any suburb in Townsville. But as you said you don't wanna be too close for noise you were prolly gonna look a bit further afield anyway. Just a heads up.

Belgian Gardens and West End are near enough (yet far enough) and are both lovely suburbs where you wont get the aircraft noise.

Mount Louisa is another nice suburb (we rented there when we arrived here) but beware it is right under the flight path for RAAF & commercial flights (real estate agents neglect to mention this!)

Good luck mate