Townsville

SteveinOz

hey there all brits, ive heard about a regular brits night where we all meet up, but not sure about the details, does anyone know or is it a rumour, if it is a romour how about starting a regular get together, hope top hear from you all soon, cheers clark

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you are comparing it too, Townsville can be slightly more expensive for groceries than Brisbane or Sydney for example, simply because of transportation costs.

Fruit and veg can be bought at the many local markets much cheaper than the supermarkets.

Its hard to compare to UK prices, everything seems a hell of a lot more expensive, but you won't get payed in Pounds, and once you stop comparing Pounds to Dollars the general cost works out roughly the same.

Really can't comment on haircuts:nah:...tho my OH does manage to spend a fortune on her hair:eek:....but then she did that in UK too:arghh:

Oii I only have it done every 6 weeks!

hey gill and steve thanks for meeting up last saturday night , it was good to put a face to the name and get your take on townsville life, unfortunately it was under poor rugby results but come on the taffies,( never thought i'd be saying that)

Was good to meet up, Wales all the way now....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Townsville

Hi, Riverside Gardens (Douglas), Annandale, North Ward and Palleranda would be my pick.

Along the river, in the suburbs of Rosslea, Mundingburra, Aitkenvale and Cranbrook also have some lovely homes and neighbourhoods.

For those who like a bit of land, Kelso has some hidden treasures in the form of acreages in the outer areas. Kelso has a reputation for being not so good but in reality Kelso is virtually at least three different locations lumped into the one name. The area to keep away from would be from Condon on, on the right hand side of Riverway Drive, as you drive out to the Upper Ross from Kirwan. The 'good' bits are down along the river, on the left hand side of Riverway Drive, and out past the Kelso Shops (not to be confused with Rasmussen shops which have the IGA) and down towards the Ross Dam. You would be surprised at some of the homes on acreages down there, and for a reasonable sum of money too.

Other areas if you want land would be Rupertswood, Bluewater, Rangewood way.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone in Townsville hoping to join you next year just waiting to here some good news about my 119 visa (we have been let down before so not getting over excited).just wanted to say thanks for all the great info you have all been posting.when you are moving somewhere new it's scary,there seems to be a lot of positive comments which is good as I have read a lot of negatives from some people.I'm a uk hairdresser with 23 yrs exp. , My wife is a children centre manager,so hoping we can afford to live comfortable in Townsville . Keep up the good info and hope everyone is settling well as I know it won't be easy. Thanks again everyone

I have my fingers crossed for you mazysnips!

Im going over in Jan! Only on a 457 mind you! Will be looking for a hairdresser when I get there so keep me updated! You got a salon to go and work in?

I have been keeping my eye open too at what wveryone is saying about Townsville, my attitude is that some people may hate it but some people hate Aus too I loved Aus and its all a new experience love being by the sea and nice weather so it cant be all bad!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I guess areas are a matter of opinion, as we have a house in Condon, and have not had any problems there, made friends with some of our Aussie neighbours. We went for a house that suited us and our needs, and viewed in several areas. THe way we look at it is, this house suits us right now, at the end of our lease we will relook at things and if we continue to be happy here stay, or we can look for something that will suit us then.

For example, we chose at this point not to have a pool, as with our adventurous 2 year we were concerned, but next year we may move to upgrade to a home with a pool.

I would say come, look around and find out what suits you best and your budget

Good luck

TT x

Looking forward to getting out to Townsville in March/April.

The company I'm working for are putting us up for at least one month to find our own accommodation. Hopefully with all the info on here and lots of wondering about the are area we will find what suits us best.

Keep posting about the best areas on here.

See you all in Aus next year.

S

I have my fingers crossed for you mazysnips!

Im going over in Jan! Only on a 457 mind you! Will be looking for a hairdresser when I get there so keep me updated! You got a salon to go and work in?

I have been keeping my eye open too at what wveryone is saying about Townsville, my attitude is that some people may hate it but some people hate Aus too I loved Aus and its all a new experience love being by the sea and nice weather so it cant be all bad!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi surfy Brit

Hopefully have a job it's the only way I can get to oz don't think I'm allowed to mention salon names on website just waiting to see if we can get past first stage we have already been accepted for Canberra but want to live in Queensland as we have family there hope everything goes well for you in january

Guest martin and leah

hi all in townsville. i moving out in january working for accident repair centre in garbutt. whats everyone think of townsville and looking for a furnished apartment to rent with a pool if anyone got any info on one and what to pay for it.thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Finished work yesterday and my movers come tomorrow!

Still doesnt feel like its actually happening though, I have a week at home with Mum an Dad and then fly out of Gatwick on the 21st! Arrive in Townsville on the 23rd, start work on the 30th! So I have a week to find a houseshare!

Good luck to those awaiting visa's! Hopefully I will see you all there!

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

surf brit will be flyin now still hope everything go gr8 and let us all know what goes on as were thinking of moving to townsville, cheers

Thanks!

Finished work yesterday and my movers come tomorrow!

Still doesnt feel like its actually happening though, I have a week at home with Mum an Dad and then fly out of Gatwick on the 21st! Arrive in Townsville on the 23rd, start work on the 30th! So I have a week to find a houseshare!

Good luck to those awaiting visa's! Hopefully I will see you all there!

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

well i hope u enjoy shinner im sure she will answer soon bet she having lots of fun with new mates.. if you dont mind me asking what will u be working as in the airport? cheers and congrats on the move.

Yo Surfy Brit you still alive or are you having too much fun?

What's it like? What's it like?

Just got a letter saying I start work on the 30th April in Townsville at the airport. Hoping to get out there a bit before to settle in. Can't wait.

Hi there Shiner

I am indeed still in the land of the living just trying to get used to the munidity and heat out here I start work on Monday so things are moving along! Very glad we have air con I have to say! Apparently it should start to cool down around April tim tthough so I think you will prob time ayour arrival well then!

I have sorted out a house share and move in on Saturday it has a pool....of course and is only about 5 mins walk form work! Which is good as the public transport here is terrible and townsville is very very spread out! The puls side of that is big parks and big plots of land for houses though!

Still doesnt seem real with palm trees everywhere and exotic birds flying around (I got dived at by a magpie last week, which unlike everything else Aussie are about a quater of the size of the english ones, good job too otherwise I would have wound up in A & E if they were!)

Will keep you updated of my progress! Im still living out of my first suitcase (tip fly emirates you get 30kg luggage and then vigin honour that without an excess!) the air frieght is set to arrive this week or next!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all have eventually got back to the site, hows everyone been??

Have now changed jobs, first one didn't work out and will not bore you with the details, second one is great. Been in Oz just over 6 months now and still feels like we are on holiday. Still loving Townsville and we are slowly making new friends. Had my first round of golf last Sunday and met a great buch of lads, only thing, twas a bit on the warm side.

Currently pretty humid and warm still and probably will be for the next couple of weeks when things will start to cool down a bit.

Wife has now become a lady of leisure and is loving it, both kids have found work and they are loving it as well.

If anyone needs help or information, drop me a line and I will do my best to help where I can. Not saying we know everything as we are still learning how things work here as well.

Guest tandcmum

Hi All

we have now got out visa and are looking at arriving about the 1st May, we will be living in Pimlico near the Mater for the first month then we need to start looking for our own place. What kind of clothes do we need to be packing for that time of year, I'm thinking as we are coming from the frozen UK we will be ok with shorts and t-shirts and a couple pairs lights trousers, lightweight fleeces etc?