Bridging Visas

Olga

Guys, what is the difference between the types of Bridging visas when applying for 485 Graduate Skilled visa and 885 General Skilled Migration visa?

I am especially interested in school fees for my child... Am I still entitled to pay the same fees as on Student visa?

The conditions attached to your bridging visa are based on the visa you were originally on, not the visa you've applied for.

Yes, but not exactly, for example, those who have applied for permanent residency are entitled for Medicare, this is different from the conditions of Student visa. Work and travel conditions might be different on the current visa and bridging visa too.

sorry, should have clarified. Bridging visas just come with work conditions, these work conditions will be the same as the visa you were on when you applied. You cannot leave and re-enter australia on a BVA, you have to apply for a bridging visa B.

Entitlement to medicare has nothing to do with the bridging visa. Once you've applied for PR, then yes you get Medicare, but you might not be on a bridging visa at that stage. For example, I'm on a 457 visa, applied for PR, so now I'm entitled to medicare, but I'm still on the 457 visa, not the bridging visa. If and when my 457 visa stops being in effect (which it shouldn't since I've still got another three years on it) then the bridging visa would kick in, with the same work conditions as my current visa (the 457).

Guest Laura G
Guys, what is the difference between the types of Bridging visas when applying for 485 Graduate Skilled visa and 885 General Skilled Migration visa?

I am especially interested in school fees for my child... Am I still entitled to pay the same fees as on Student visa?

Hi Olga,

Bridging Visa rulings for Schooling is that you will still have to pay School fees for your Child, the conditions remain the same as your Student Visa.

Also you will need to check with the State Education Department you live in for information on School fees for holders of Grad Visas (485)

I have not checked recently, so you will need to do your own checking.....when I assisted someone in late 2010, they were based in NSW and they still had to pay School fees when they were the holder of a 485, however another client I was assiting who lived in QLD did not have to pay School fees whilst the holder of a 485 visa.

Please ensure you check with your State Education body to help you budget.

Hi Olga,

Bridging Visa rulings for Schooling is that you will still have to pay School fees for your Child, the conditions remain the same as your Student Visa.

Also you will need to check with the State Education Department you live in for information on School fees for holders of Grad Visas (485)

I have not checked recently, so you will need to do your own checking.....when I assisted someone in late 2010, they were based in NSW and they still had to pay School fees when they were the holder of a 485, however another client I was assiting who lived in QLD did not have to pay School fees whilst the holder of a 485 visa.

Please ensure you check with your State Education body to help you budget.

Laura, thank you very much for your reply! We are in Sydney. And I am not sure I will ever hold 485 visa, I might apply for it, if the skills assessment takes longer than my current visa permits me to stay in OZ. If they process the assessment quickly, I will apply for GSM straight away. So the most feasible perspective for me is to be on a Bridging visa for a while waiting for PR. I understand that I will get Medicare, school fees are not mentioned anywhere on immi. website.

• 2 months later...

Hey, hope some of you might be able to help.

my boyfriend and I are currently in the process of getting our 457 visa and were told we automatically get a bridging visa.

The thing is me we have planned to go home at Xmas (booked last May) so will the Bridging visa A or B apply to us, or any?

Also we were both on a WHV but my 6 months of working for one employer is up at the end of the month. If i get the bridging visa will i be able to continue working for over the 6 months? I've see that it's the same conditions as your last visa but is there any way round this?

You will get a bridging visa A, which only kicks in when your current visa lapses (so if your WHV lasts until after christmas or you get your 457 before christmas, then you'll be fine to travel, otherwise you'll be relying on the goodness of whoever's behind the desk at immigration to get a BVB).

Once you've applied for the 457, but before the bridging visa kicks in, you can apply to have the 6months WHV restriction lifted (the info is at the bottom of one of the immi.gov.au pages about WHV)