Looking for friends in the Lower Hunter Valley

Guest MarcandSarah

Guest MarcandSarah

Hi,

My partner and I have just received visa approval today (yay!) and are headed to the /Singleton / Maitland area in the next 6 weeks. The OH will be working in the mines and i'll be doing a bit of work from home and as we don't have any children I don't want to be rattling around the house all day! We are both looking to meet new people when we arrive so it would be great to hear from anyone who is on their way or already settled in this region of NSW.

We're both from Staffordshire, almost 27 and frightened to death at the thought of being all alone in such a huge place so any help, advice or the chance to meet up for a glass of wine would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Sarah

hi sarah,

we are heading over to thornton (near maitland) in october. av got an advantage as most of my family are already living there. We are mid 30s with a 4 year old daughter. I am a midwife, and oh is a boilermaker so may have to go working away to earn anything half decent.

when do you hope to get there.

cheers nicola

Guest MarcandSarah
hi sarah,

we are heading over to thornton (near maitland) in october. av got an advantage as most of my family are already living there. We are mid 30s with a 4 year old daughter. I am a midwife, and oh is a boilermaker so may have to go working away to earn anything half decent.

when do you hope to get there.

cheers nicola

Hi Nicola,

We are probably looking at around 6 to 8 weeks before we actually get there so i'm thinking early to mid September at the latest. I work in Marketing & PR and Marc has got a job as a heavy plant fitter with Hitachi so it's possible that he may have to work away at some point too.

We are both 26 and from Staffordshire, we don't have any children at the moment but if we settle in Australia who knows!

Sarah

Guest MarcandSarah
u will have to let me know how ur settling in. we land 12 october. wanted to have a couple of weeks settling in and getting jobs etc. but in reality who knows. am getting nervous, are u? x nicola x

Will do, I have to admit that it hasn't really sank in just yet but i am starting to get stressed with the amount of things that we need to sort out over here before we finally leave.

I'm sure the nerves will start to kick in tomorrow, all of the advice i've been receiving has been great but nothing compares to actually going there and discovering things for yourself. I haven't ever been to Oz before and neither has Marc so i'm mentally preparing myself for a bit of a culture shock!

I'll let you know how things go this end.

Speak to you again soon.

Sarah xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MarcandSarah
Hi there.. My husband and I live on the Central Coast about 40-60 mins from newcastle.. we are both 27.. I am an aussie and he is from London...

Be nice to chat if u wanna

:)

Kyles

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for your message, how's life in sunny Oz today? Its supposedly summer here and it's 16 degrees and raining! Bloody weather, I don't think im going to miss it one bit!

Sarah x

Guest taylorvillas

Hey Sarah I am in sydney but noticed tour from Newcastle under Lyme, brings back memories as I used to work at phones 4u, good luck with the move over tracy x

• 1 month later...
Guest markytina

Hey MarcandSarah. Just read ur post. Haven't been on this for a while. So how are the nerves??

Me and the wife moved over 2 years ago. I'm a chef and the wife is a biology teacher, but she's working in pathology at the moment. We are living in Edgeworth, NSW. Which is 20 mins from Newcastle and about 30/40 mins from Maitland. We found it really hard to settle at first, but luckily we had family to show us around and get us started in OZ. Without them, it would have been a nightmare. So we know what its like when u first land. Getting over the jet lag is bad enough. We would love to meet up when you's get here and show you's the ropes. Ur coming at the right time. Its now spring here, weather is hotting up nicely. It was 25C yesterday!! Hope all is well. Speak soon. Mark and Christina :)

Hi,

My partner and I have just received visa approval today (yay!) and are headed to the /Singleton / Maitland area in the next 6 weeks. The OH will be working in the mines and i'll be doing a bit of work from home and as we don't have any children I don't want to be rattling around the house all day! We are both looking to meet new people when we arrive so it would be great to hear from anyone who is on their way or already settled in this region of NSW.

We're both from Staffordshire, almost 27 and frightened to death at the thought of being all alone in such a huge place so any help, advice or the chance to meet up for a glass of wine would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi folks, you'll probably be here by the time you read this. You'll love Maitland and the Hunter, gorgeous countryside and really friendly folk. We moved from Scotland in February to Sydney, then moved up here a couple of weeks ago and love the country living.

John & Morag

Guest markytina
Hi folks, you'll probably be here by the time you read this. You'll love Maitland and the Hunter, gorgeous countryside and really friendly folk. We moved from Scotland in February to Sydney, then moved up here a couple of weeks ago and love the country living.

John & Morag

Hi Guig,

Where in Scotland are u from? Am from cumbernauld and the wife is from lanark. We moved over 2 years ago. Staying in edgeworth. Where abouts are u living?

Hi Guig,

Where in Scotland are u from? Am from cumbernauld and the wife is from lanark. We moved over 2 years ago. Staying in edgeworth. Where abouts are u living?

We're in Maitland ad have been there three weeks so far.

We lived near Beith but wifey is from Cumbernauld. Both country folk at heart hence the move out of Steak & Kidney.

Guest EJPowell

Hi,

Me and my husband moved over here 2 and a half years ago & have recently been granted permanent residency, which was a great relief as took a long time! We have found it quite difficult to make lots of friends outside of work so was overjoyed when someone recommended this website.

Im 29 & my husband is 49 but we are both young at heart. We are currently living at Kahibah, but we both work in Beresfield. We dont have any children either, and would be great to meet for a few drinks & we can help with any questions you may have?

I hope that you have made it here already & are enjoying the great weather we are having at the moment :biggrin:

Emma

Guest markytina
We're in Maitland ad have been there three weeks so far.

We lived near Beith but wifey is from Cumbernauld. Both country folk at heart hence the move out of Steak & Kidney.

Small world!!! Another victim from the famous cumbie!! A used to cut the grass in Beith. Mainly the main road in at the roundabout. So how u enjoying Maitland? Bit of a change from Sydney?

Guest markytina
Hi,

Me and my husband moved over here 2 and a half years ago & have recently been granted permanent residency, which was a great relief as took a long time! We have found it quite difficult to make lots of friends outside of work so was overjoyed when someone recommended this website.

Im 29 & my husband is 49 but we are both young at heart. We are currently living at Kahibah, but we both work in Beresfield. We dont have any children either, and would be great to meet for a few drinks & we can help with any questions you may have?

I hope that you have made it here already & are enjoying the great weather we are having at the moment :biggrin:

Emma

Hi EJPowell,

Me and the wife moved over July 2009. We have also found it hard to make friends outside of work as well. We have family here in Newcastle, but their always busy with their own life. It would be great to catch up for a few drinks and a wee chat. Am Mark 34 and the wife is Christina 29. :smile:

Hope you's are enjoying this amazing weather? lol

Guest EJPowell

Hey Mark,

Was great to hear from you, would be great to meet up for a drink. We have a few things on over the next few weekends so let me know when you are both free to meet up.

Looking forward to meeting you both :smile:

Guest markytina
Hey Mark,

Was great to hear from you, would be great to meet up for a drink. We have a few things on over the next few weekends so let me know when you are both free to meet up.

Looking forward to meeting you both :smile:

Hey Emma,

We sent u a private message, but not sure if it worked?? Let us know if u got it.

Thanks

Mark & Christina :smile:

• 1 month later...
Guest toniandmarc

Hi! We've been in ashtonfield (maitland area) for around 11 weeks now. My boyfriend Marc is a welder who works in mount thorley. I'm a travel agent but sadly my job here didn't work out. We're finding it hard to meet new friends. Its difficult to know where to go. We do not have children either.

We know exactly how you both are feeling cause we feel the same! Would be happy to meet up with you guys.

Toni

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...