Help with the skills assessment with AIM

DSouzas

Hi guys,

We're just at the start of the process and was hoping for some advice! My hubby works in HR and we are trying to organise all the information we need for the skills assessment.

The skills assessment is for HR Manager and it is with the Australian Institute of Management. They ask for lots of detailed information, which I think we can provide but just wanted to check if anyone has passed this skills assessment and if so can give us any tips before we submit the application?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Clare D

• 3 months later...

Hello DSouzas,

What was the outcome of your husbands AIM assesment. Hope it came out as positive. your thread particulary interested me because i am myself about to go though the same procedure and wanting to know about other AIM success stories (which are terrifyingly limited).

Hello DSouzas,

What was the outcome of your husbands AIM assesment. Hope it came out as positive. your thread particulary interested me because i am myself about to go though the same procedure and wanting to know about other AIM success stories (which are terrifyingly limited).

Hello Ozapp

We posted our skills assessment off last week and are still waiting for it to be delivered to AIM. There was a delay with the postage (we used parcel force and paid for the express delivery of 3 days but because we used the PO Box adddress for AIM they down graded the delievery without telling us so it still hasn't arrived yet, I'm hoping it will get there tomorrow. (So I would use the address rather than the PO Box address when you are ready to send your's off! )

It's taken us so long to gather all the information together. My OH had obtain job descriptions, org charts, his T&C's of employment etc for the past 8 years of employment. We probably could have got it done a bit faster but OH is so busy at work it was hard trying to get all the information sorted quickly.

We got his current line manager to verify all his current company information and then we asked my friend who's a bank manager to certify all the other 5 years worth of information. I'm a bit nervous of the outcome, I would have liked to get some advise about it but it seems there aren't many people on here that have had to have a skills assessment with AIM :(

Are you applying as a HR Manager or another position that they validate? I'm crossing my fingers and toes that we get a positive assessment, hopefully we will find out within the 4 week timescale. If we are sucessfull I'll let you know and then you are quite welcome to ask questions if you need to.

Anyway look forward to speaking soon, wish us luck and good luck with your application :)

Clare

Hello DSouzas,

Sorry should have asked when you said that success stories were terrifyingly limited is that because there aren't many people who are on PIO forum that have had a skills assessment with AIM or that there are people that had the skills assessment but haven't passed it? I'm definately very worried now. :arghh:

Hello DSouzas,

Thank you very much for the detailed response :). it certainly gave me a confidence boost. I'm hoping to get assessed as an Engineering manager because I have the required qualifications and experience. although all the details

of expected docs are given in AIM website, its quite diffcult to figure out the format, presentation of oranizational charts, profession description..etc etc.

eg:-

1. whether to name names of incumbet supiriors/peers and direct suboordinates or just the job title in org cahrt

2. Howw detailed sholuld the profession description of myself and directsuboordinates should be.

etc..etc

There are so many things going on my mind right now. I hope once i begin to prepare those documents i'll be more clear about above concerns, but if you can provide any pointers, Its immensely appreciated :).

Another thing that worries me is that Although I have several managerial posts reporting to me, whether im at a high enough position in management to be. please do keep me posted about your progress :) I'm wishing you best of luck with your assessment and hope it gets processed super-quickly :)

Sorry should have asked when you said that success stories were terrifyingly limited is that because there aren't many people who are on PIO forum that have had a skills assessment with AIM or that there are people that had the skills assessment but haven't passed it? I'm definately very worried now. :arghh:

Bit of both actually, after hours of googling I found several posts and only about half of them contained good news :no:, I found two cases that interested me and im posting those links below cause it might interest you also, ( the second link contains a thread which says very positive things about AIM :spinny:)

so far very mixed views about AIM and im confused :wacko:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/20898-assessment-through-aim-australian-institue-management.html

http://www.immigrationkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/australia-nz/29332/I-GOT-ve-skill-Assessment-AIM-today

Hello DSouzas,

Thank you very much for the detailed response :). it certainly gave me a confidence boost. I'm hoping to get assessed as an Engineering manager because I have the required qualifications and experience. although all the details

of expected docs are given in AIM website, its quite diffcult to figure out the format, presentation of oranizational charts, profession description..etc etc.

eg:-

1. whether to name names of incumbet supiriors/peers and direct suboordinates or just the job title in org cahrt

2. Howw detailed sholuld the profession description of myself and directsuboordinates should be.

etc..etc

There are so many things going on my mind right now. I hope once i begin to prepare those documents i'll be more clear about above concerns, but if you can provide any pointers, Its immensely appreciated :).

Another thing that worries me is that Although I have several managerial posts reporting to me, whether im at a high enough position in management to be. please do keep me posted about your progress :) I'm wishing you best of luck with your assessment and hope it gets processed super-quickly :)

Thanks for sending me the links, I've had a good look through and I see what you mean there are a few positive assessments but it seems to me that in general people thought it is quite difficult to obtain a positive result :( Our main concern is also that my OH might not be classsed as senior enough. Well it's too late now, I guess if we fail then we will have to try for HR Advisor!

When my OH did all the org charts he started with the CEO at the top and then showed his position in relation to the CEO and just followed exactly what AIM asked for i.e.

The Chief Executive Officer/Managing Director

All positions reporting to your immediate superior

Your own position

All positions reporting to you

All positions reporting to your direct subordinates

He included names of people and their job titles. I'm not sure whether that is the same for your role or slightly different.

With the job descriptions they varied from 4 pages for his role and then between 2 - 3 pages for the people reporting to him, but I guess all roles are different so they could vary.

We included a CV and made sure that all the job titles on the CV / org charts / job descriptions all matched and everything was consistent.

When my OH moved roles within the same company we included job descriptions and org charts for each of his roles.

Just wondering what you are going to do about verifing your documents? We asked my OH's line manager to verify his current companies information and then our friend who's a bank manager to verify the other employment details (she included information on her company, payroll number, business card etc to prove she is a bank manager) - do you think this will suffice or are you thinking of asking a solicitor?

If you've got any other questions please let me know and I'll try to help, however we haven't passed yet so may have done something wrong or missed something ourselves!

Good luck, keep me posted.

Clare

Thanks for sending me the links, I've had a good look through and I see what you mean there are a few positive assessments but it seems to me that in general people thought it is quite difficult to obtain a positive result :( Our main concern is also that my OH might not be classsed as senior enough. Well it's too late now, I guess if we fail then we will have to try for HR Advisor!

When my OH did all the org charts he started with the CEO at the top and then showed his position in relation to the CEO and just followed exactly what AIM asked for i.e.

The Chief Executive Officer/Managing Director

All positions reporting to your immediate superior

Your own position

All positions reporting to you

All positions reporting to your direct subordinates

He included names of people and their job titles. I'm not sure whether that is the same for your role or slightly different.

With the job descriptions they varied from 4 pages for his role and then between 2 - 3 pages for the people reporting to him, but I guess all roles are different so they could vary.

We included a CV and made sure that all the job titles on the CV / org charts / job descriptions all matched and everything was consistent.

When my OH moved roles within the same company we included job descriptions and org charts for each of his roles.

Just wondering what you are going to do about verifing your documents? We asked my OH's line manager to verify his current companies information and then our friend who's a bank manager to verify the other employment details (she included information on her company, payroll number, business card etc to prove she is a bank manager) - do you think this will suffice or are you thinking of asking a solicitor?

If you've got any other questions please let me know and I'll try to help, however we haven't passed yet so may have done something wrong or missed something ourselves!

Good luck, keep me posted.

Clare

Thanks a bunch for all the detailed info and tips DSouzas :). Im going to start the painstaking process of preparing docs today.

I thought of getting all org charts printed in papers having company letter head and then singed + seal with word "verfied" by immediate supervisor. for all other company/job related docs also signed the same way by immediate supervisor.

As for other docs ( educational qualifications/ birth certificates...etc) i'm planning to get them attested by a lawyer as "true copies".

Will let you know my progress. hopefully i could get all these done by the end of this month. Wishing you all the best !

• 2 months later...
Guest Ginjafro

Hi,

I hope the previous posters have had successful outcomes. My wife is also being assessed by AIM and her portfolio was dispatched mid August 2011. After nearly 5 MONTHS we still do not have an outcome! Our Agent confirms AIM is assessing and asked for some minor detail clarification just prior to Christmas and again today in the 2nd week of January. We were warned many months ago that AIM can be very difficult and to even expect at least 3 months for a result - not the 4 weeks they claim on their website.

Has anybody else suffered similar slow assessment? How long did it take? Is anybody else concerned about AIMs level of service?

Hi,

I hope the previous posters have had successful outcomes. My wife is also being assessed by AIM and her portfolio was dispatched mid August 2011. After nearly 5 MONTHS we still do not have an outcome! Our Agent confirms AIM is assessing and asked for some minor detail clarification just prior to Christmas and again today in the 2nd week of January. We were warned many months ago that AIM can be very difficult and to even expect at least 3 months for a result - not the 4 weeks they claim on their website.

Has anybody else suffered similar slow assessment? How long did it take? Is anybody else concerned about AIMs level of service?

Hello there,

Unfortunately we don't have a sucess story :( We got the results right before Christmas saying that we had failed. My OH is a HR Director but he hadn't been in the position long enough to be classed as senior enough. We are going to have to apply for the skills assessment through VETASSESS now, which I'm not sure how long that will take. We were due to get the results back by mid November but they actually came towards the end of Christmas so there was a slight delay. I know there is another post on PIO where another member has applied for the skills assessment with AIM but I'm not sure whether he has had the results back yet:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/129109-hr-manager-aim-assessment-criteria.html

Good luck with your application, hopefully it won't take too much longer now.

• 2 years later...

Dear Clare D,

I have passed the assessment in my first attempt by ensuring that i submitted the List of documents required by AIM in the prescribed format.

Contrary to the expectation i received a revert in a months time.

I have not used any agent i did it all by myself.

Before lodging the documents ensure that you do not have any missing links i.e. have a proper justification in case you have had break in employment or if you are unable to provide certified work experience letter you have to provide a affidavit which is notarized by a lawyer.

i spent a good one month is organising for the documents and whenever i was stuck i queried the same on AIM and got a prompt response.

Cheers

HRBala

Hi guys,

We're just at the start of the process and was hoping for some advice! My hubby works in HR and we are trying to organise all the information we need for the skills assessment.

The skills assessment is for HR Manager and it is with the Australian Institute of Management. They ask for lots of detailed information, which I think we can provide but just wanted to check if anyone has passed this skills assessment and if so can give us any tips before we submit the application?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Clare D

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am looking for skill assessment through AIM for Sales and marketing manager. I work as Deputy Marketing Manager for an education company.

Education:

I am a University gold Medallist in Marketing where I perused my Bachelor and master in Marketing.

Experience:

I finished my marketing internship - 3 months

I was hired by my current company for a probation period for three months as a trainee and then was promoted to senior executive and currently I work as a deputy manager for the company where I look after 4 offices (around 20+ employees) and report to the national director – all this experience sum more than three years approx. ( 38 months )

1.      So, is it advisable to apply for skill assessment for AIM considering they only look for more experienced people?

2.      Are three years enough to apply considering the seniority of the position and education in the same field?

Thank you in advance 

Regards,