Guest siamsusie

Mating snakes wreck Cairns club roof

Guest siamsusie

A seven metre female python and her harem of male snakes are literally bringing the roof down at a Cairns sports club.

Six scrub pythons measuring at least 3.5m and weighing up to 50kg are fighting over one female in the roof of the Hekili Outrigger Canoe Club at Yorkeys Knob.

The amorous males have dislodged the ceiling boards in their pursuit of the female python, which club members have dubbed 'Nagini' after the giant snake in the Harry Potter series.

Club coach Sue Lockwood said the roof was replaced just three months ago after it was damaged in Cyclone Yasi.

'The whole board underneath the eaves has basically popped open and now they're entering and exiting through that hole. When we're inside the shed we can hear them moving around,' she told AAP.

'We've only just had our ceiling replaced because it caved in when Cyclone Yasi hit us.

'It was pretty well much a mess for a long time, it's all just been replaced and now the snakes are breaking the roof.'

A snake catcher has removed two of the males but the others are proving elusive, Ms Lockwood said.

'He can see where they're going but he just can't get in there so we have to wait until they come out.'

She says bite marks found on one of the captured pythons show they have been fighting over Nagini.

It's not the first time snakes have used the club's roof as a mating ground but this time around the males are bigger and there is more of them, she said.

Some club members are unsettled but Ms Lockwood says the snakes are mostly harmless and only bite when startled.

'The irony of it is is that we paddle canoes in croc-infested waters and we have marine stingers for six months of the year, and we have tiger sharks and bull sharks in the bay where we paddle, and big huge saltwater crocodiles and yet everyone is scared of a little snake,' she said.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 » 04:48pm

Guest guest37336
A seven metre female python and her harem of male snakes are literally bringing the roof down at a Cairns sports club.

Six scrub pythons measuring at least 3.5m and weighing up to 50kg are fighting over one female in the roof of the Hekili Outrigger Canoe Club at Yorkeys Knob.

The amorous males have dislodged the ceiling boards in their pursuit of the female python, which club members have dubbed 'Nagini' after the giant snake in the Harry Potter series.

Club coach Sue Lockwood said the roof was replaced just three months ago after it was damaged in Cyclone Yasi.

'The whole board underneath the eaves has basically popped open and now they're entering and exiting through that hole. When we're inside the shed we can hear them moving around,' she told AAP.

'We've only just had our ceiling replaced because it caved in when Cyclone Yasi hit us.

'It was pretty well much a mess for a long time, it's all just been replaced and now the snakes are breaking the roof.'

A snake catcher has removed two of the males but the others are proving elusive, Ms Lockwood said.

'He can see where they're going but he just can't get in there so we have to wait until they come out.'

She says bite marks found on one of the captured pythons show they have been fighting over Nagini.

It's not the first time snakes have used the club's roof as a mating ground but this time around the males are bigger and there is more of them, she said.

Some club members are unsettled but Ms Lockwood says the snakes are mostly harmless and only bite when startled.

'The irony of it is is that we paddle canoes in croc-infested waters and we have marine stingers for six months of the year, and we have tiger sharks and bull sharks in the bay where we paddle, and big huge saltwater crocodiles and yet everyone is scared of a little snake,' she said.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 » 04:48pm

How true is that last statement Susie.:idea::yes:

Guest siamsusie

I was going to warn Kate of potential snakes at Hekili Outrigger Canoe Club at Yorkeys Knob.

Guest Guest31881

I found a 2.5 meter carpet python in the museum and that took two to lift it up, They are magnificent creatures, but they can be heavy......

DSCF0598-Copy.jpg

But they are magnificent

Guest siamsusie

Omg Colin, that thing is amazing! Who lifted it please?:err::eek:

Guest Guest31881
Omg Colin, that thing is amazing! Who lifted it please?:err::eek:

I phoned the council and they sent the "Animal man", but he hates snakes ( could be in the wrong job) so "Mohamed" came as well ( he is food inspector), between them they decided it was a big snake , ( By Now I was laughing uncontrollably). So they sent for a cat cage. they picked it up with a couple of "litter pickers" and slipped it into the cage. It is now living a life in the botanical gardens. It was like a scene from a carry On film.

Guest siamsusie

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Omg that is priceless Colin... I am roaring here with laughter.

What a lovely chap he looks though, I am so pleased he has found a beautiful home!

xx

NB Now you wouldnt find that in Milton Keynes !

Guest guest37336
I found a 2.5 meter carpet python in the museum and that took two to lift it up, They are magnificent creatures, but they can be heavy......

DSCF0598-Copy.jpg

But they are magnificent

That is some wonderful looking snake Colin, love it.:yes::notworthy:

I think probably the best looking snake (if that's the right term) is the Taipan, stunning they are.

taipan052303%20(12).jpg

Have yet to see the Inland Taipan (Fierce snake) but will do one day.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest31881

I think probably the best looking snake (if that's the right term) is the Taipan, stunning they are.

taipan052303%20%2812%29.jpg

Have yet to see the Inland Taipan (Fierce snake) but will do one day.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony.

That is a real mean looking snake. i did not know how I would react when i first came across a live snake, the one i found looked more like pet.

Guest Guest31881
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Omg that is priceless Colin... I am roaring here with laughter.

What a lovely chap he looks though, I am so pleased he has found a beautiful home!

xx

NB Now you wouldnt find that in Milton Keynes !

This is the joy of living in a small outback town, All the council employees hold at least two positions, The Animal man ( Graham) is also the parking warden. he also runs the local SES. Mohammed is the buildings inspector and the hygiene (food ) inspector, and also helps out with snakes.

Guest guest37336
That is a real mean looking snake. i did not know how I would react when i first came across a live snake, the one i found looked more like pet.

I remember working for the verge crew in Perth Colin and as we were building fire breaks we happened across a very angry Tiger Snake, wasn't happy I can tell you.

Fascinated me for yonks, but it did occasionally have a little strike out, if you blink you miss it, so so quick, even the biggies are too quick for the eye when they decide to say 'hello'.:yes:

Guest siamsusie

Oh the joys of living in Australia Colin!

Great story!!

x

Guest guest37336

My top five snakes, beautiful indeed, seen three of the five in the wild, so still a way to go. Sorry Susie, I think I might have hijacked your thread,:wubclub:

GREEN TREE VIPER

DSC_0514.JPG

BLACK MAMBA

blackmamba3.jpg

GREEN MAMBA

green_mamba.jpg

GABOON VIPER

073.JPG

GREEN TREE PYTHON

Green_tree_python_Thorn_by_BPFischer.jpg

taipan052303%20%2812%29.jpg

Cheers Tony.

Had a taipan in the garden but let it wander off. Nextie's had a taipan on their front porch.

Came across a taipan on the path to the fishing rock...Watched it for about a minute as it was soaking up the winter sun.:yes:

Got this 2 metre bloke near the ducks' water bowl one cold morning.

Picture2030.jpg

Cheeky102.jpg

Released it back in the National Park.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336
Had a taipan in the garden but let it wander off. Nextie's had a taipan on their front porch.

Came across a taipan on the path to the fishing rock...Watched it for about a minute as it was soaking up the winter sun.:yes:

Got this 2 metre bloke near the ducks' water bowl one cold morning.

Picture2030.jpg

Cheeky102.jpg

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Released it back in the National Park.

Cheers, Bobj.

Lovely looking chap mate, and the snakes not so bad either,:biglaugh::biglaugh::wubclub::wubclub:

Guest siamsusie

Oh Bob, you are big and brave! Amazing photos guys!!.

Lovely to sit here in Tasmania and see these things lol x