Moving my pug back to UK

Guest melarif

Guest melarif

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has flown a pug or any other snub nose dog back to the uk. i was ment to be flying my pug on Cathay Pacific but they ban snub nose dogs as of monday. Im cant find another airline that will fly snub nose dogs to the uk, does anyone know of one?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Please leave this with me and I will try and find you a route home, also Bob may come along and advise. It is a sad day that Cathay have stopped shipping brach dogs and cats.

At the minute I'm wondering if you could use Air Canada but I've been out of it a while now so my info may be wrong but I will find out and either post on here or pm you.

We are meant to be taking our dogs back one is a cross pug. The vet said he would be fine to fly. We still are to look into the flight back so any suggestions you may find may help us also.

Do you know the reason why they stopped flying pugs? I had been told that that the airlines don't fly pugs but our dog apparently would be fine.

Guest The Pom Queen
We are meant to be taking our dogs back one is a cross pug. The vet said he would be fine to fly. We still are to look into the flight back so any suggestions you may find may help us also.

Do you know the reason why they stopped flying pugs? I had been told that that the airlines don't fly pugs but our dog apparently would be fine.

How much pug does your little boy carry?

The issue is with any brachycephalic dog or cat. Unfortunately they are more susceptible to death in transit due to breathing difficulties. If your dog does not have a flat nose/face he should be fine. What is he crossed with?

How much pug does your little boy carry?

The issue is with any brachycephalic dog or cat. Unfortunately they are more susceptible to death in transit due to breathing difficulties. If your dog does not have a flat nose/face he should be fine. What is he crossed with?

Buddy is a cross with a staffy. The vet said he would be fine to fly who did his vacinations. He has the snout but its not flat.

Oh this has me in a panic now. We are planing moving back too & thought we would be able to take our pug with us. She has never had any breathing difficulties & we always avoid very hot days indoors. She is a great traveller so I didn't think it would be an issue. I hope someone can shed some light on this :(

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh this has me in a panic now. We are planing moving back too & thought we would be able to take our pug with us. She has never had any breathing difficulties & we always avoid very hot days indoors. She is a great traveller so I didn't think it would be an issue. I hope someone can shed some light on this :(

Unfortunately it's not anything your vet can ok, it is down to the airlines themselves with no exceptions. Look at Air Canada and Delta im not sure if it's possible but as soon as I get any updates I'll let you know.

Guest melarif

Yeah I think some said or Canada might, I'm over in Perth and I would have to fly him to syd... And that's alot of time in the air. Money is no issue as long as I can get him there, he is only 18 month and his about 9kg his healthy and has no breathing prob... Does anyone know if dogs can travel by boat even?

Guest melarif

Hi guys,

I was just on the phone to jet pets who informed me pugs can fly air Canada from Sydney ... From here is 4 hours to syd... 13 hours from syd to can and then about the some to London.... It's a lot of air time... Just hope his ok...

Theyve banned them because they dont want a dead dog on arrival, which a very real risk when you have a pug, i have a pug cross and wouldnt dream of flying him anywhere. If they get abit snuffley on a hot day how would they cope in a crate on a plane!

i left a dog in the Uk to live here as i couldnt put him through the truama of flying and quarantine, id rather he lived his years ok in the Uk being happy and healthy than be subjected to a 20+ hour flight in the dark being scared then stuffed in a kennel for months alone.

id consider the dogs welfare above any wants of the owner and think its a good thing airlines ban dogs from flying that arent equipped to deal with it, at the end of the day no one knows what happens to their dog and how it feels going through that, im sure some dogs take it in their stride and other suffer horribley. Depends are you willing to risk your dogs life and hope it works out ok ?

Thanks for your opinion but I'm sure the OP is just as concerned about the welfare of their beloved pet. If the dog has had the correct immunizations they do not need to stay in quarantine. It is a grueling journey but hopefully with all precautions taken for the animals welfare can work out fine. Especially as the OP is talking about a pug cross & an otherwise healthy dog. Good luck Melarif!

I don't think Delta do any longer though I may be wrong. Most US airlines stopped flying them a while back.

Malaysian Airlines might still do so but please be aware they had a French bulldog die before even being loaded on a plane recently in Aus. 3 hours from being delivered he had died. OK its not the actual airline caring for the dog at this point but the cargo company the airline uses (often their own one).

Guest melarif

I have considered the welfare of my dog and if u look at the stats of how many snub nose dogs fly compared to deaths, I need not to worry. He is only 18 months and is over energetic for a pug, he has no health issue and is going for a check up before hand. His a member of my family and I couldn't dream of leaving him behind.

Guest shellybomboms

in reply to your question i am in the process of trying to fly my 2 bulldogs to oz and with everything that is going on at the min i have found a company called JCSLIVESTOCK who can fly my dogs via canada (vancouver) from london then onto sydney or mel /perth.This is the only company i have found and given me a quote so unless any of the companies i would prefer to use can come up with the flight path i will be going with jcs.they use this route all the time and the flight time is a gud time too. they do spend the night over in canada before they set off for oz which is a night flight and arrive in sydney 8ish am this makes me feel less worried knowing it wont be that hot during the night.I am so worried with the whole situation but i have a 3yr and 4yr old dogs which are fit and heathy, not overweight and hoping they will cope well with it.hope this gives you the information you need. good luck ..

Theyve banned them because they dont want a dead dog on arrival, which a very real risk when you have a pug, i have a pug cross and wouldnt dream of flying him anywhere. If they get abit snuffley on a hot day how would they cope in a crate on a plane!

i left a dog in the Uk to live here as i couldnt put him through the truama of flying and quarantine, id rather he lived his years ok in the Uk being happy and healthy than be subjected to a 20+ hour flight in the dark being scared then stuffed in a kennel for months alone.

id consider the dogs welfare above any wants of the owner and think its a good thing airlines ban dogs from flying that arent equipped to deal with it, at the end of the day no one knows what happens to their dog and how it feels going through that, im sure some dogs take it in their stride and other suffer horribley. Depends are you willing to risk your dogs life and hope it works out ok ?

It's a well known fact that dogs suffer more if they are abandoned. I'd rather put my dogs through a few hours of stress than leave them forever. I for one could never leave them behind...each to their own.

Big decision to ship a dog so far but I am sure the OP hasn't taken it lightly. We don't have a pug but there is no way in a million years we would consider leaving our dog behind (she is 8yrs & we had her since 8 wks & she has already made 1 flight from NZ to Perth)

As the saying goes, "a dog is for life!" "

We are using Jetpets, costing us a bit but I think it is the peace of mind we are paying for. Have heard nothing but good about them & have so far had very good customer service. Our dog gets on a plane a week after us 10 August... will post at other end re feedback on our experience.

She will not be quarantaned so we can pick her up as soon as she gets off that plane at Heathrow. It is short term pain for long term gain. Once she is running around in the countryside on fabulously lush green grass, I am sure she will have forgotten all about it!

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted a couple of threads today. Now talking as someone who has worked in the veterinary world for a number of years and been involved in checking animals arriving in to quarantine in the UK, I can say yes there is a higher risk with the brachycephalic breeds, however, this isn't just with flying it is with life in general, but then you will find any of the domestic animals have something that they are more prone to etc, for example GSD's have 51 known issues with the breed, some dogs may get one or two of these, some may not get any. Or you have the Persian who has problems with PKD, or the Bengal that has FCK

You will find any pedigree animal is more at risk than a simple cross breed.

Now Brachycephalic breeds are prone to respiratory problems but this is whether they fly or not.

Think of it logically, there are millions of dogs who fly each year. In the last 5 years there have been 122 deaths (even 1 is devastating but it is still a small percentage of the ones who fly) now 25 of these were Engligh Bull Dogs and 11 were pugs, so yes we already know there is a risk there, BUT, what we need to look at is how we can reduce this risk not judge someone because they want to bring part of their family with them.

Now firstly make sure that you speak with your vet, nobody knows your dogs health more than your vet. Also make sure your dog is the correct weight, you don't want to add extra strain to their bodies.

Now the next thing is to try and stop any stress, make sure you ask the carrier for the crate a month before they are due to fly, start feeding them in there and making it a good place for them to be, give them treats every time they go near the crate, start by leaving the door open but eventually close the door but still keep the crate in the middle of the room so they can see you.

Try and ship your pet at the coolest times of the year not in the middle of the summer months, although the temperature is regulated on the plane when you are in the air it isn't when you are sat on the tarmac waiting for take off.

It's a scary decision to ship a beloved pet whether they are a brach or not.

I hope everything works out for you all, good luck

Kate

Genuine Thanks for the very helpful & practical advice. It is a real worry the thought of our little family member flying by herself. We did a lot of research before we got our pug (my first pedigree non-rescue dog). She had her nostrils slightly widened at our vets suggestion whilst she was already under being spayed. We always keep her at a healthy weight & people always comment on that as lots of pugs are pretty podgy. In the words of our vet she is 'a little ripper'. Thankfully she is so full of herself & she takes everything in her stride, t

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anne from Melbourne

I used Jetpets for my dog and she flew Malaysian airlines. Qantas also flies dogs. contact them and see what they say.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest melarif

Hi,

Just letting everyone know, i flew my pug with All Care Pets from Perth they were great. He flew from perth to sydney where he spent the night, he then flew to canada on air canada with james cargo and spent the night in canada and then flew into the uk. It was great because his flights were broken up and he got a break and a walk inbetween. I have been to see him a few times at the kennels in Stanway and his is happy as.

It silly how the rules on flying snub nose breeds have changed and after weeks of searching Air Canada was the only way to go and he had to be signed over to james cargo. So if you want to get your snub nose breed out of Oz i would do it now!!!!!!

Hi,

Just letting everyone know, i flew my pug with All Care Pets from Perth they were great. He flew from perth to sydney where he spent the night, he then flew to canada on air canada with james cargo and spent the night in canada and then flew into the uk. It was great because his flights were broken up and he got a break and a walk inbetween. I have been to see him a few times at the kennels in Stanway and his is happy as.

It silly how the rules on flying snub nose breeds have changed and after weeks of searching Air Canada was the only way to go and he had to be signed over to james cargo. So if you want to get your snub nose breed out of Oz i would do it now!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing Melarif! We aren't planning to move back fir another 2 years but I really need to keep on top of this if this our only option for getting Poppy back to the UK. She can always go before us and stay with my parents as they are dog people. Glad your puggy got home safe & sound!

I'd like to think the Canda route was still an option for moving snub nosed doglets between continents/NH, SH, even in a couple of years time. It makes sense one company at least does so as there are plenty of people owning one of these breeds who wish to ship.

It just seems pretty much all of the airlines themselves have ceased doing so because of the deaths, even if not when actually flying with them. It seemed to start in the US, a far more litigious nation than many others. I'd think this had a great deal to do with it.

Kirsty M - Good luck with it all when the time comes. Your pug sounds true to type and I am sure will cope well. They are pretty robust personalities.

• 8 months later...
Guest PugBella
in reply to your question i am in the process of trying to fly my 2 bulldogs to oz and with everything that is going on at the min i have found a company called JCSLIVESTOCK who can fly my dogs via canada (vancouver) from london then onto sydney or mel /perth.This is the only company i have found and given me a quote so unless any of the companies i would prefer to use can come up with the flight path i will be going with jcs.they use this route all the time and the flight time is a gud time too. they do spend the night over in canada before they set off for oz which is a night flight and arrive in sydney 8ish am this makes me feel less worried knowing it wont be that hot during the night.I am so worried with the whole situation but i have a 3yr and 4yr old dogs which are fit and heathy, not overweight and hoping they will cope well with it.hope this gives you the information you need. good luck ..

Hi shellybomboms, I was just wondering how your dogs coped with the travelling.we are moving from the uk to perth aus and our pug and bichon frise are flying from glasgow to syndey to vancouver to perth.Im really concerned because of all the negative comments iv seen . My pug is really healthy and fit also .any info would be great