Hi - moving to Sydney in October!

lmtaylor

Hi I have just joined this forum as we are moving to Sydney in October so wanted to say hello in case there is anyone else doing the same!

We are going on my NZ passport and hoping to eventually get permanent residence through the employer nomination scheme (both mine and my husbands occupations are on the list). Need to find work first though - we have started looking but the general response is your CVs are great, see you when you get here:eek:. Would really like to get jobs lined up before we go but not sure how feasible that is?

Anyway, me, my husband (both in our thirties) and our two little girls aged 1 and 4 are off in October, house under offer about to exchange, very excited to be moving to my favourite city in the world!

best of luck

have been here just over four years and just going for residency now!

where abouts in sydney you planning on heading to?

We will be staying all over the place for the first 3 weeks, then with friends in Ryde until we find a rental, looking at north shore in particular Lane Cove area as have heard it's nice and the schools are good. All depends on what salaries we manage to get though! Whereabouts are you - any suburbs you can particularly recommend?

We went straight to the northern beach's

was intending to go to manly (but that is defo for younger crowd without kids)

we were only late 30's when we got here, a friend of ours actually moved out to Avalon just before we came out, we went there and loved it. been there since and cant imagine living anywhere else but up that top end of the beach's

house prices vary considerably. low end would be $750k mark for 3bed house but anything with any sort of view is over $1M. its a great place and if you like watching the stars you will see plenty around there and up at palm beach (the home and away beach)

schools are pretty good there.

nice community feel to Avalon Village (in the summer you'd be hard pressed to find anyone wearing shoes! lol they all walk round barefoot)

as there is no train running up there and no through traffic (with it being a peninsula) you only generally get the locals going there (except in summer when everyone heads to palm beach)

if you have any specific questions flick them through happy to help

we actually met another couple out here through the forums (they had moved here from Colwyn Bay like we did so we met up with them once we got here, they were in Avalon as well, and we've been great mates since)

all the best

Owls

Guest shusselmann

Good luck with your move! We've been in Sydney eighteen months and settled well, no plans to go back to the UK. We're in South Eastern Suburbs, which we love. It's expensive though. We have also heard good things about Lane Cove and from what we've seen on a few visits it's very nice. Frenchs Forest has also been recommended. We love Mosman and Cremorne but it's very expensive for a decent size property and getting into schools is tricky unless you're in the catchment.

When we moved over we didn't have jobs. My husband was applying in the CBD and also experienced a slow response until we actually got here, so don't worry!

All the best, Sarah

Thanks guys! Avalon sounds idyllic but I think a bit far out for us as OHs job is likely to be in western Sydney, maybe we will go there for weekend visits though :-). Northern beaches the same, lovely but a bit too far if you are having to commute out west - he is fed up of his 3 hour round trip to work here so doubt he would want to continue doing it in Oz! Frenchs forest does look nice too, maybe an option we were also thinking of Beecroft as it's on the trainline and looks nice but don't know much about it so I think those two and Lane Cove will be our shortlist, schools in those suburbs look good from that myschool website too.

When we moved over we didn't have jobs. My husband was applying in the CBD and also experienced a slow response until we actually got here, so don't worry!

Feel so much better reading that someone else went over and got jobs on arrival and was fine, thanks for that!!

Guest Geordie A

howdy.

we head to sydney at the end of september, we have girls of 3 and 1 and are likewise very excited about our impending move. i will be working in parramatta so we are looking in the concord/cabarita/hunters hill/ gladesville areas, all which appeal to what we are looking for.

good luck with the move

geordie