Leaving partys ~ Tell me about yours

cartertucker

Guest guest36187

We went up north to marks side of the family and booked out a local pub/restaurant for Sunday lunch and drinks. Then five days later when we were back in London, we told everyone which pub we would be in and that the drinks were on us!

We saw 99% of people we wanted to see. We did lots of little farewells too. Separate ones for our children, parents, my Nanna and my cousins.

We tried to keep it as simple as we could. For us it wasn't about having a huge farewell bash, the point was to spend time with those that we cared about.

Guest guest37336
:jiggy:We are planning a leaving party :jiggy:

Would love to hear all about your parties, where did you have them, what food & drink did you serve :wideeyed:

Anything you wish you had done diffferent ? :unsure:

What are your special memories of your party? :cute:

Hi Kelly.

Had a fair few in my time when I/we went to OZ.

The first one (17 years old) I can remember little of,:goofy:, but it was held in a club called 'Dukes' in Chelmsford with all my mates from school, with a name like Dukes and full of 17 year old blokes you can imagine the reasons why I don't remember a lot.:yes:

Haven't really had 'parties' to speak of since, we/I would often get a list together, then when the guests found out the reasons for the invite this was normally followed by, 'Why', 'What's the point' and the like, so over the following days my invitation list would get smaller and my 'stalking' list longer,:biglaugh:.

Mainly kept it amongst the family really Kelly, but when I say I'm going again I doubt an eyebrow will be raised, more a sigh of, 'Here we go again'.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

we had a brilliant goin away party ...organised it ourselves in our local ....put on a buffet [not much eaten lol] and had an australian theme ....we had family and friends and believe it or not but no less than 12 members of pio !!! 6 of them travelled up from england [we were in scotland] and hopefully some of them might come on and agree it was a fab night [from what they can remember ] eh brammie :wink:

mrs keily

• 2 months later...
Have booked my venue :wink: A pub/restaurant ~ we will have a buffet

What i'd like to ask is, what did you guys do about drinks? 1st drink free or something else? :unsure:

Also, pretty please, where did you get your Australian theme stuff from?

Thankyou so much in advance :wubclub:

hey kelly we got our ozzie stuff on ebay ...flags ..blow up kangaroos etc .....and no we didnt put on any free drinks ....we provided the buffet :wink:

mrs keily

Guest Karenphil67

We have booked a function room above a social club. Cheap drinks :biggrin: We are supplying the buffet but people will buy there own drinks. Have got some Oz flag bunting various signs and inflatable kangeroos. Also got balloons with g'day mate on them....just type Australian party into google and it will bring up some party sites.

Our party is 22nd October and we leave the following week so will let you know how it goes.

:jiggy:We are planning a leaving party :jiggy:

Would love to hear all about your parties, where did you have them, what food & drink did you serve :wideeyed:

Anything you wish you had done diffferent ? :unsure:

What are your special memories of your party? :cute:

What date you having it? al mak sure am free:cute::notworthy:

We had an 'open house' in our garden on the 1st October - ended up being brilliant sunshine and great fun!

Jon made a paella, which was delicious (see photo of dish)

We used our BBQ (see photo of BBQ about to be scrubbed before movers come).

We provided salads, paella, dips, olives and bread and asked everyone to BYO drinks, and something for the feast!

Mind you we're lucky enough to have a garden and patio that's perfect for having people around.

(Please excuse the stuff spread around for cleaning .... and the Satchdog looking grumpy because we're doing weird stuff)

We had a fabulous time!

:)

Paella_small.jpg

BBQ_small.jpg

lake_small.jpg

jeyes_small.jpg

Paella_small.jpg

BBQ_small.jpg

lake_small.jpg

jeyes_small.jpg

For my wife’s side of the family and her friends we hired a room in a local club, got a DJ in and had about 100 people there. We put on some food and everyone got their own drinks. It was a good night but a bit OTT for me and emotional for my wife, too many goodbyes at once. But the in-laws wanted it and I think they paid for it, so i just went with it.

For my side of the family we visited each of my aunts and uncles for a few hours over a few days after we finished up working. I had a work BBQ and lunch both Aussie themed, had to eat with the hat with the corks on and holding a kangaroo! For my friends I had a few nights out/ lunches etc. and that was about it.

Hi - we decided not to cater and spent the money on a professional photographer instead who came around 9pm and stayed for a couple of hours. He took loads of pics of all our friends enjoying themselves, chatting with us, dancing etc and just gave us a disc of all the images the following day - over 350 pics amazing!! This is much more valuable to you than knowing people enjoyed the vol au vents - trust me!

Our party was on a Saturday night and started at 7.30 - so we just put on the invitation that we werent catering and told everyone to eat before they came. All of our friends were absolutely fine with this - we did actually survey them before we made the decision & its amazing how many peole rarely eat the food aanyway - especially on Saturdays.

Anyway - thats my story. Whatever you do enjoy every moment and make sure you do get lots of pics of everyone.

Guest bowow2011
Not had ours yet, but our going away party is our wedding, and our honeymoon is our new life in Oz!

Leaving 1 week after the wedding..... and cant wait.......... :yes:

Hi we are the same :0) leaving together one week after wedding, honeymoon is Fiji-Oz can't wait! My oh already works in the mines in Oz so very excited to be going back to start our new lives together xx

We had about 100 friends turn up for a barbie, bonfires, some fireworks, 3 sound systems going and all night rave which didn't finish until 8am. Luckily our neighbours were with us. Everyone agreed it was the best party they had been to for ages and still talk about it 3 years later.

Guest tandcmum

interesting to red about your parties. I feel kinda sad but when we go there will be no big parrty, we really don't have enough friends to warrant it, maybe thats a good reason for us to go to Oz...lol

I would probably have a leaving party from work, and would probably go visit various family members and go out for a meal with them etc but that will be it, all our family are spread al over the country and world and would be a nightmare to gather them altogether

we shall be slipping out quietly

hope you enjoy your party cartertucker, when are you making the big move?

Guest guest37336

Not a great one for leaving parties as such, been to so many that everyone is now bored anyway.:SLEEP:

But a mixture of booze and emotion are never a great combination.:biglaugh:

Party Goer. 'I'm going to miss you man'. (No your not, as soon as I get on that plane I will be a distant memory,:biglaugh:)

Party Goer. 'I love you fella' (No you don't, would you like a refill?:biglaugh:)

Party Goer. 'We must keep in touch'. (Does this include the two grand you owe me?:mad:)

Party Goer. 'You are my best mate'. (Does being a best mate include sleeping with my wife as a mark of that 'friendship',:no:)

Party Goer. 'Send me a postcard'. (I'll will, it will give you something to write on when you have no paper around)

Party Goer. 'Anything, anything you need just give me a shout'. (Will do, just so long as this time you remember to leave ME your forwarding address)

And this was/is just my FAMILY. :cry::biglaugh::no:

Cheers Tony.

There will be no party for us, family is spread out a bit and dont have a great number of friends. We shall have a meal with each set of parents and siblings and then slip away quietly. People at wifes work know shes going so think they will have a night out, at my work they dont know and wont until I give my weeks notice.