RIP Sally Brooks

TrishP

hadn't seen the original thread (sorry) and yes it struck a nerve with me - especially as I've done a similar thing last year when I was leaving Oz and selling bits and bobs.....so practically inviting total strangers into my little apartment - makes you shudder...and it could happen anywhere!

Guest Gothic Rose

Very Tragic RIP

Hi Trishp, you've raised a really good point there about the dangers of selling your personal belongings when you live alone. I've been selling stuff prior to my move to Australia for some time. Awhile back I put an add up in my local supermarkets small Ad board to sell my camping equiptment. A couple came to my home & bought it, without hassle. But they had my mobile phone number & I ended up with the husband as a Stalker for at least six months Totally put me off of advertising locally as strangers then know where you live & have your phone number.....:shocked:

that's a really terrible story. there are so many dangerous people in the world. Gothic Rose, how scary for you too. hmmm, makes you think we really should be cautious with our personal info. so worrying and horrible for the woman and her family.

Guest guest37336
Very Tragic RIP

Hi Trishp, you've raised a really good point there about the dangers of selling your personal belongings when you live alone. I've been selling stuff prior to my move to Australia for some time. Awhile back I put an add up in my local supermarkets small Ad board to sell my camping equiptment. A couple came to my home & bought it, without hassle. But they had my mobile phone number & I ended up with the husband as a Stalker for at least six months Totally put me off of advertising locally as strangers then know where you live & have your phone number.....:shocked:

That is indeed a frightening story Rose, one to teach us all a lesson.:yes:

Never be too careful and all that, but funnily enough I have found if you front these people out they are very often cowards.

THAT IS A VERY PERSONAL STATEMENT PEEPS, but can't stand bullies, (which they are, but more dangerous) and more often than not the minute you rock up on THEIR doorstep they show their true colours.:yes:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Gothic Rose
that's a really terrible story. there are so many dangerous people in the world. Gothic Rose, how scary for you too. hmmm, makes you think we really should be cautious with our personal info. so worrying and horrible for the woman and her family.

I Agree it's such a catch 22, because to sell stuff you need to advertise your number & then obviously collection requires an address. I was not initially alarmed when the couple bought my stuff. Then a couple of weeks passed & I got the first txt saying they'd seen me in the street & did I have anything else to sell. Saying it was the couple who bought my tent. At first I thought it was the wife texting when asked if I had clothing to sell. It soon developed into an entirely different kind of texting asking if I was selling any PVC clothing. & became clear he would see me when I was walking around & send texts , then he started saying if I would buy fetish magazines for him that he would pay me extra for ordering them as his wife wasn't into that kind of thing. & I was obviously trying to raise money etc. All this because I'm a Goth & happened to sell some camping equiptment to an ordinary looking couple. It went on for ages getting progressively worse & creepier....Bizarre things happen to me :shocked:

what a creep...yuk

somehow (years ago) this guy who lived accross the road from my friend got my mobile number (I've really no idea how, I think it must have been my "friend") started texting me more and more filthy stuff until eventually it was pictures of his penis.....I mean I don't want to look at penises(is that a word) at the best of times...holy moly..

I didn't really get from the link what went on, it sounds so terrible.. I suppose initially what can seem harmless is most probably not...poor lady