register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest m1ller

Budget for ten months in Oz

Guest m1ller

I'm trying to come up with a budget for a ten month stay in Oz, and thought I'd see if I'm way off the mark or not :)

My girlfriend and I will be in Oz from January - probably in Melbourne for a couple of months, then Brisbane for another couple, Cairns area for four months and down the west coast for a couple before flying home. She is able to work on a working holiday visa, but I'm too old so we'll be relying on a combination of her wages and my savings.

So... does three thousand dollars a month sounds reasonable to take with us? Add that to whatever money she makes and I figured it was about right. Could be completely off the mark though so wanted to check with folk who know a lot more about it than me!

Guest jewels1356

that's a very hard question as if she doesn't get work then your on less money but if i were you i would bank on no job then the rest is a bonus so good luck and enjoy

julie

xx

Speaking to a lot of backpackers, they reckon you need about $1000 a month, depending on your tastes and exactly what you are doing etc (ie - renting a room in a shared house? backpackers dorms/private rooms? camping? boozing and trips, or free sightseeing off your own backs? renting a car? buying a car? busing/training around?) - for a couple obviously you will need more than that, but probably not double (as you don't spend double when there are two of you in a relationship).

Don't stress about the work - as long as your girlfriend is willing to do *anything* she will find work - if she is a bit more fussy, ie will only do office work etc then you need to bank on her not working at all (not that this might be the case, but its best to be prepared), but those people whom I know who are prepared to do anything (including cash in hand type jobs as well) have not struggled to get a job, especially in places like Brissie, Sydney etc.

So $3000 sounds great, especially if she might be bringing in a little more from time to time, and you don't want to stay at the Ritz every night and drink champagne each evening! :D

The forums on gapyear.com are pretty good for costs and stuff, lots of people seem to post whilst they are actually away still as well, so good up to date info :)

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.