Carpentry Work In Melbourne

Guest James Parsons

Guest James Parsons

I'm moving to Melbourne next year around Febuary , After looking on the internet there seems to be quite a few jobs advertised for carpenters and just wondered if there was plenty of work about? I've worked a few times before in Sydney but not for 6 years now and when working there I was on $35 an hour but the locals were on $40 as they had more tools plus $35 was a good wage for a backpacker!

The work I was hoping for was probably in the Eastern subburb sdoing refurb/new build ect. Here in Yorkshire I mainly work on new build, or have taken on some refurbs myself plus a self build. Whilst in Sydney I worked on probably some of the most enjoyable projects I've been on.

Anyhow I was mainly wanting to know if there was much work about and what sort of money carpenters were earning?

Cheers Jim :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ps Just wondered do you have to go on the books first of all on your skilled visa or can you go Labour Only? I think it was with an ABN number when i was last there!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jim

Welcome to PIO, there are quite a number of jobs in the South East. I am not sure how experienced you are but you can earn around $50 per hour.

There are a few contacts here for you;

Lock UP and Fix CARPENTERS To work on pre- fabricated steel frame homes in the South East Region in particular in the Frankston/Pakenham areas. Previous experience essential.

Alan 0459 141 489

CARPENTER HIGHLY SKILLED ABN. Bayside. 0418 592 260

You will find that most of the work will require you to have an ABN, unless you are a cabinet maker then you can find a permanent job.

Kate

• 1 month later...
Guest lensawyer

Hi sorry to be a pest my hubby is a carpenter/joiner and at the minute we are trying to decide which state is best for us to move to as he is our main source of income. Can I ask a silly question what is an ABN ??? as you mentioned he would need this ??

Thank you in advance..

:embarrassed:

Hi sorry to be a pest my hubby is a carpenter/joiner and at the minute we are trying to decide which state is best for us to move to as he is our main source of income. Can I ask a silly question what is an ABN ??? as you mentioned he would need this ??

Thank you in advance..

It's an Australian Business Number.Basically you need this to be self employed or sub contract.Simple enough process to register.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gone Crazy

Thank you in advance..

Hi I've been in OZ since June 2008. Spent 18 months on Gold Coast but works slow there as well as other states. Been in Melbourne since january last year and it's absolutley booming here. I look after 3 sites on eastern suburbs and north of airport building new homes/retirement villages. Our work is price work with some hourly rate.

As apose to working for a subby back home you would be contracting straight to the company so no middle man. If your interested let me know and I can give you more details.

• 1 month later...
Guest fogfurn

hi gone crazy, i am a cabinetmaker. my trade is not on sol and i am 42, so my only hope is sponsorship. just wandering would you know of any contacts. by the way im irish and stuck here in ireland. thanking you jim.

hi gone crazy, i am a cabinetmaker. my trade is not on sol and i am 42, so my only hope is sponsorship. just wandering would you know of any contacts. by the way im irish and stuck here in ireland. thanking you jim.
Going off some of GC's other posts I think he may have returned to the UK.

thanks kipper, so one person leaves, so the assumtion is if one person leaves there is no more work.

I never said nor implied there is no work.

It looks like you have assumed a negative take on my post.

The only reason I was letting you know he may have returned to the UK was so that you would'nt be left hanging for a reply.If he's not here anymore he probably can't line you up with a job.That was all.

I was just trying to help.

• 2 months later...
Guest 1978porter

Hi gone crazy, I'm new to pio and I've been in Melbourne for 2 weeks since moving from the south of England with my wife and 2 children. I am 33 and have been a self employed carpenter/builder for 12 years. I have got a 175 visa and need to start looking for work with a view to start in February when my tools arrive from the uk. Are you able to help or put any numbers/contacts my way? Any information will be appreciated. I have decided to settle in point cook but am prepared to travel. Thanks, john