register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ozziepom

Australian dollar dives as Westpac forecasts cut to interest rates

OK, so 1.07 US and 1.51 GBP is hardly a dive but expectations seem to be shifting from higher interest rates to lower ones, while higher rates may be forced on the big Western economies and those waiting for a better time to exchange pounds may still be in for a very long wait - no-one knows. One thing that can't be argued is that this a big change in sentiment from a few months ago.

Mods - consider not moving this to money & finance as very few people read that and exchange rates are important to a large number of people.

Of course no paper currencies are really rising, they're just sinking against real money at different rates :wink:

Was wondering why £ increased to Aus $ on Friday as I couldn't find any news on it, so thanks for this. It did recover slightly by end of day but let's hope Westpac predictions are right!

OK, so 1.07 US and 1.151 GBP is hardly a dive but expectations seem to be shifting from higher interest rates to lower ones, while higher rates may be forced on the big Western economies and those waiting for a better time to exchange pounds may still be in for a very long wait - no-one knows. One thing that can't be argued is that this a big change in sentiment from a few months ago.

Mods - consider not moving this to money & finance as very few people read that and exchange rates are important to a large number of people.

Of course no paper currencies are really rising, they're just sinking against real money at different rates :wink:

You nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw 1.151 - thanks god you had it the wrong way round! Phew!

Guest VickyMel

Thanks OzziePom

Hope not before I've got my next term deposit in place!

You nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw 1.151 - thanks god you had it the wrong way round! Phew!

Its not so much the wrong way round, just that maybe you're used to seeing AUD/GBP and I was quoting GBP/AUD.

I'm not too sure about the title - 'Aussie dollar dives!'

You could change it to 'Aussie dollar sticks it's toe in to test the temperature!'

Still - it's a move in the right direction for us.

I'm not too sure about the title - 'Aussie dollar dives!'

You could change it to 'Aussie dollar sticks it's toe in to test the temperature!'

Still - it's a move in the right direction for us.

Agreed but its not my title - its a direct quote from The Australian newspaper, I also mentioned that so far its hardly a dive at this stage and it could be a long time before rates are attractive for folk changing pounds to dollars - no-one has a crystal ball but this is a huge change in sentiment from all of the newsflow for the past couple of years, time will tell if its correct.

Its not so much the wrong way round, just that maybe you're used to seeing AUD/GBP and I was quoting GBP/AUD.

I meant the actual digits the wrong way round, not the conversion. 1.15=1.51?

I meant the actual digits the wrong way round, not the conversion. 1.15=1.51?

Fair enough, my typo - I'll correct it if I can edit the post.

Fair enough, my typo - I'll correct it if I can edit the post.

Don't worry, as I said, you nearly gave me a heart attack. I wondered what the hell had happened since I'd been to sleep. :wink: