Job offer on a 119 perm visa - urgent help needed re schools and areas!

Guest Sevans

Guest Sevans

Hey there

I have been offered a job in Canberra on a 119 permanent residency visa.

I have no idea regarding areas to live and schools for my children, I have a baby and then a 5 year old (just finished first year in school here in Ireland), 8 year old and a 10 year old. Preferably state schools as I can;t afford fees for 3!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, they have suggested I could be there as quick as 3 months, is this possible?

Thanks in advance

S x

Hey there

I have been offered a job in Canberra on a 119 permanent residency visa.

I have no idea regarding areas to live and schools for my children, I have a baby and then a 5 year old (just finished first year in school here in Ireland), 8 year old and a 10 year old. Preferably state schools as I can;t afford fees for 3!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, they have suggested I could be there as quick as 3 months, is this possible?

Thanks in advance

S x

Hi Sevans

Congrats on the job offer - another fellow Irish person coming to Canberra! There seem to be a few of us lately!! As regards schools - Im not too sure about primary schools because my daughter started in secondary school (high school) but I believe the primary schools here are very good- you may want to look at the Naplan scores for each school. As regards places to live i would say to wait until you get here and then decide - we had all different ideas in our heads about different places before we arrived and it completely changed when we got here. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Where will you be working etc?

Suzanne

Guest Sevans

The job is in Deakin, any idea what the areas in South Canberra are like?

Are there any 'do not send your kids there' schools or are they all kind of ok?

The job is in Deakin, any idea what the areas in South Canberra are like?

Are there any 'do not send your kids there' schools or are they all kind of ok?

South Canberra is really nice but it is really expensive to rent there aswell - check out www.allhomes.com.au - I dont think there are any areas of South canberra that arent ok but it depends on what you are looking for - house, apartment etc.

As far as schools go I believe that all primary schools are good but I dont have kids in primary so maybe someone with younger ones will be able to tell you.

Suzanne