hands up those of you that are moving to oz despite never being there???

Guest cdchaplin

Guest Hoggy

We have never been but hope to start the process very soon, am so happy there so many people in the same boat ...... Thank you all you've made me very happy!! :0)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scubabud

Brilliant thread glad I found it, it's very reasurring knowing the we're not the only nutters on here who have never been to Oz, but as you all say can't wait for the adventure, all our family and friends think we're totally mad uprooting and moving half way around the world to a place we've never set eyes on but hey life's too short to worry about what if's which if we didnt do it we would always be thinking so Perth here we come :biggrin:

Guest Gunshow

Yep, my wife tells me I'll love it. I don't know anyone out there at all. I figured so long as my wife and my daughter are happy, I'll do whatever. Having said that, I spend the majority of my free time outside playing sport, I love training and good weather facilitates all that. I play rugby to a decent standard so just going to look for a local rugby league/union side in Brisbane and take it from there really. Anywhere I have lived I have simply looked for a local rugby team and there are 30 pre-arranged mates, quality. Not sure what chicks do to make friends, i imagine it is more difficult; guess that's what POI if for :) Wish me luck and good luck for those also taking the plunge into the unknown. Without meaning to sound clichéd, you only live once and if you don't try you'll never know. No one has ever been successful in life without taking a few risks. For those of you over there already and finding it hard, just remember that the really successful people in life are those that have the resolve to push through failures and turn them into successes. But I appreciate, Australia is probably not for everyone.

BTW. I am arriving in early October and really need to buy a reasonably priced/cheap 4x4. If anyone has one in Queensland or NSW that they are selling on or around that date please send me a PM.

Guest joewills

hi we are in the same boat but we havnt payed any money out yet, abit scared to, we only rent our house so that a bonus, no mess ther, we are both 27 married with a 4 month old baby. very close family which some think were crazy even thinking about it. i really dont no what to do, im like 65% want to go and try it whilst our baby is young. but it scares me leaving family behind, what if i never see my close family again?? all this is running round in my head, but like some 1 said, they dont live forever. we dont even no were abouts we want to go haha but want to try it. i have changed my mind a few times whist typing this out hehe.

adele

hi we are in the same boat but we havnt payed any money out yet, abit scared to, we only rent our house so that a bonus, no mess ther, we are both 27 married with a 4 month old baby. very close family which some think were crazy even thinking about it. i really dont no what to do, im like 65% want to go and try it whilst our baby is young. but it scares me leaving family behind, what if i never see my close family again?? all this is running round in my head, but like some 1 said, they dont live forever. we dont even no were abouts we want to go haha but want to try it. i have changed my mind a few times whist typing this out hehe.

adele

Hi Adele

It is a journey full of mixed emotions, and tbh family is important but so is your little family, you are doing for the two of you and your little baby, most folk give it a minimum of 2 years, and if it is not your thing then you can always come home, hope this helps :)

Guest guest24485
Hi all,

we are in the process of applying for visa hopefully 176 pr. I am a nurse aged 35 and very happily married with 2 girls aged 10 and 13. We have always had the dream of moving to oz, mainly for the outdoor lifestyle that we can experience together. Also the oppurtunities that oz can offer my 2 girls.

We are very close and love our own company. The girls are 150% behind the move which is great.

Our family are very supportive also of our decision. we have had friend successfully move to different parts and are loving it too.

We have never actually been and the reaction form a lot of people tends to be go there first!!

I appreciate that this is a life changing move but we certainly have not gone into it lightly we cannot afford to go for reccie and our feeling towards this is that for only going for couple of weeks is certainly not going to give us an appreciation of ozzy lifestyle.

How many of you pommies also are making the move without ever visiting oz?????

collette xx:wubclub:

Have been here in Australia for nearly 3 years now, and most of it spent in Darwin. I originally applied for a job and we had never set foot near OZ let alone consider living there. I think the opportunities here for a more family orientated lifestyle greatly outweigh the lifestyle we had at home in the U.K. I will never go back to live unless they take my citizenship off me and kick me out for being a whinging Pom. Lol. my daughter loves it here and I never thought she would take to it so well. she absolutely loves the weather, the swimming and most of all the crocodiles. I did speak to a few people about it before we moved and most were positive, some negative, but you have to make a decision that's right for you. It might not have worked for someone else but that could be different to your own situation. Do some research on prices first though. If I had known how expensive Darwin was I would have filled my shipping container to bursting.

Madmunky

Guest joewills

yes u are very right. it does help. 2 years actually goes very quick. i have had some regrets in my life but im thinking no more. think we should at least try it and see what happens.

adele

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Collette

We are one of those who have never been to Oz before and we are hoping to be in Perth by the end of the year.

We also know nobody and have no family there so friendly faces will be welcome :wubclub:

Why? Well why not there is more to life than our little market town which is more like a mix between an eastern european town and an old folks place tbh and I want our son to experience something more in life so different to what he would get here and hopefully it will give him a brighter future.

Good luck with your move.

Donna x

Hi Donna,

We are in exactly the same situation as you!

never been, no family or friends so friendly faces welcome!

We're also heading to Perth.

I see your from south Lincs. Well we're from north lincs!!!

We have 3 children. They are the main reason we're moving to Oz! Hopefully they will have a brighter future in Oz than in this hellhole!!

Ben & Kelly

Hi guys,

We are also in the same boat. Me ,my wife and two kids under 5. Ive never been to oz but wont hesitate to go if i get visa clearence. And I agree, the uk is a hell hole!!

Hi Guys - so good to read this post and realise that we are not crazy, or at least not the only crazy ones!!!

We are in a very similar situation, me, OH and two children (5 and 3), never been and have no family or friends there!

For us it was now or never and we didn't want to look back and think we never even tried.

Helen

• 2 months later...
Guest JulianP

Yip, my wife and I will fit into this category too. We have never been to Oz however both my wife's brothers live out there, one in Sydney and the other in Perth. We planning on going to Canberra on a State Sponsorship and literally sent our application off yesterday. Fingers crossed please everyone?!?!?!

We are originally South African and have been here in UK for the past 7 years. Prior to moving here we too have never visited the UK so we consider this our "trail run" for moving to Oz. If we survived moving to the UK without visiting, Oz should be a walk in the park (he says very apprehensively and with all ten toes and fingers crossed!!!!!)

How hard can this be, right!!!! come on.....

Guest derek1979

Hi all. We are the same never been to Oz before but really excited about the move. Have house sold and fly on 5 march wit a 3 nite stopover in singapore .

Just move and be done with it!

Thats the way im thinking, i could spend the money to visit but its not going to show me what its like living there, i'll only be in holiday mode. plus if i was going on a working holiday visa i wouldnt visit before either so just have to treat it as a adventure. if it doesnt work out i can come home

When we landed in Melbourne for the very first time the only things we knew for certain were that we had a roof over our heads for two weeks and a car rental for three.

3 years on and we're still waiting for thos first pangs of home sickness, but nothing yet!

We're not risk takers at all but sometimes you just have to think "what the hell".

Geoff

When we landed in Melbourne for the very first time the only things we knew for certain were that we had a roof over our heads for two weeks and a car rental for three.

3 years on and we're still waiting for thos first pangs of home sickness, but nothing yet!

We're not risk takers at all but sometimes you just have to think "what the hell".

Geoff

great story geoff! if we go we arent taking a thing with us, just our suitcases. its scary stuff! im not really a risk taker but if i get the chance and dont go then im nuts