hands up those of you that are moving to oz despite never being there???

Guest cdchaplin

what it is you don't like/hate Rodfan? Nice to hear all the pro's and con's!

Hi,

Well I could write a list of things that really bug ME personally, however a quick sum up,just be prepared for a bigger culture shock than you think, UK. with sun it certainly is not! we find it more Americanised...my biggest regret, leaving long term friends and family behind, no way has it been worth it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:no:

Hi,

Well I could write a list of things that really bug ME personally, however a quick sum up,just be prepared for a bigger culture shock than you think, UK. with sun it certainly is not! we find it more Americanised...my biggest regret, leaving long term friends and family behind, no way has it been worth it.

:no:thats really sad, :swoon:as with anything, for some its great and for others its hell on earth, are you going to move back?

We did come for a reccie, but that was because when hubby was offered his job, he was offered three possible locations (all within Sydney). We felt that since we were making such a big commitment to selling his existing UK business and buying in to a new one, we had better make sure that the location for the business was right. I honestly don't think that we could have done that from the UK by researching. Initially just hubby was going to come, but then my mother in law kindly helped out a bit with the cost of the tickets for all four of us to come.

Having said that, I am sure that had we not had to come and look around with hubbys work, we would have emmigrated without visiting and been just fine.

Why? Well why not there is more to life than our little market town which is more like a mix between an eastern european town and an old folks place tbh

Hey, do you live in Arbroath too????????????

we went for a reccie for two weeks. not sure we learned anything valuable to moving there! but had a damned nice holiday!! Spent a lot of cash, but i like to do things right!

Guest mandyandbarry

We had never been to Oz before, :wink:done 6 years in Melbourne, now planning a move to Perth, this was our original plan but had to stay in Melbourne for 2 years (state sponsored)

Moving on now so we don't have the regrets of not having tried it out later!

Oh, never been to Perth either!:jiggy:

Guest edandvic

Me and my wife have never been to oz but are moving on a 457 visa to adelaide in a month.

My guess was that it has more to offer than the West Midlands.

Guest hrimmer3011

Hi, we have never been!! But at the end of the day they have....houses...food...doctors...hospitals...schools....taxes.....same as here but with a bit more sun!! there are lovely people over there who I am sure will make us welcome...as long as we embrace the Australian way of life...integrate with society and work bloody hard...it will be fab... its what we make it....anything we want to do we can do...at the end of the day its down to the individual and the family to make a go of things and we gonna go over full guns blazing and we can't bloody wait :biggrin:

Guest Smudger2go

I've never been, going to Perth area, I'm hoping to join the Oz Navy :jimlad: presently serving in the RN. I have some experience of the world, am easy going so hopefully will fit in to the Oz way of life. You only live once......

Guest Crosby Family

Hi All,

Myself, hubby, and 12 yr old son never been to oz and have no family or friends over there.We are hoping to move Nov 2011 SCARED, EXCITED, and NERVOUS all at once, I come from a family of 11 so leaving a lot behind

M

We got our visa before we'd been to Australia and the first time we went was to Perth for 5 days to get the visa stamped. Then when we emigrated, we went to Melbourne. I don't think visiting helps that much. In a typical 2 week holiday here, you'll stay in a nice hotel and visit all the nice places and think it's nice. It's completely different to living and working here, there are many things you won't realise on a short visit. Of course there are many many great places to go and great things to do, so you don't really need to visit to know that. It's the day to day living that you can't really experience on a short visit, so it's not really worth it IMHO

Guest PommieLou
Hi all,

we are in the process of applying for visa hopefully 176 pr. I am a nurse aged 35 and very happily married with 2 girls aged 10 and 13. We have always had the dream of moving to oz, mainly for the outdoor lifestyle that we can experience together. Also the oppurtunities that oz can offer my 2 girls.

We are very close and love our own company. The girls are 150% behind the move which is great.

Our family are very supportive also of our decision. we have had friend successfully move to different parts and are loving it too.

We have never actually been and the reaction form a lot of people tends to be go there first!!

I appreciate that this is a life changing move but we certainly have not gone into it lightly we cannot afford to go for reccie and our feeling towards this is that for only going for couple of weeks is certainly not going to give us an appreciation of ozzy lifestyle.

How many of you pommies also are making the move without ever visiting oz?????

collette xx:wubclub:

Hi Collette

I moved out here in July 2010 and had never been to Oz before! Some people thought I was insane to sell my house of 11yrs (having just got the kitchen and bathroom of my dreams!), leave the job I loved (as an emergency call taker for the Police) and leave my family and friends behind but I believe life is too short to worry about these things! I moved out here to be with my Aussie fiance, now husband, as he couldn't move to the UK as he has two young children from his previous relationship. I'd always loved the idea of Oz and it hasn't disappointed me.

The Aussie's are a great bunch of people - very friendly, welcoming, helpful and have a great sense of humour. It offers you a great lifestyle and it's a great place to raise a family. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I am thrilled with the antenatal treatment I've received. I seem to be being looked after so much better than my pregnant friends back in the UK! Initially I was a bit daunted at the prospect of giving birth in a new country but I'm really glad I will be having my baby in Oz now I have experienced the level of care out here.

Like you, I had the full backing and support of my family and friends. That can make all the difference. Skype is a God send and allows you to keep in touch in a much more personal way. My parents love seeing my bump on there! I also have friends who have emigrated out here and they all said the first year is a learning curve and the hardest. I think that's more about missing family and friends back home than anything else.

Good luck to you all! Go for it!

Lou x

My Wife and I have been to Aus, and were all set for looking at Brisbane, but it wasn't a patch on Perth, which I absolutely loved. This is where it could all go wrong really, and glad we did go. However, now the DIAC have changed things, we're looking at SA for State Sponsorship.

I am never going to say to anyone that you really should "try before you buy" as it is very difficult and expensive to do, but I am so glad we went. We went of Brisbane (Wife more so than I) and fell in love with Perth, which would be a shame if it happened when we moved there. If you're able to visit, then I would. For me, it was even small things like driving in Perth, and their public transport was so much better than Brisbane's.

To be fair, it was our honeymoon, and we did live in houses in Perth and Brisbane for a week each, whilst fitting in Melbourne and Sydney as short breaks, and a relaxing week in Port Douglas/Mossman.

Guest tandcmum

we are moving out to Oz next year without ever having visited before. We have done lots of research into areas and made a decision based on where we think will be good for our family. Our thinking is that we culd spend thousands on visiting for a holiday and enjoy the country as a holiday destination but until you live somewhere properly i don't think you will ever really know what it's like. We are going with an open mind and a lot of determination to make it work and at the end of the day if we don't like it we can return to the Uk and have experienced a great adventure

we are moving out to Oz next year without ever having visited before. We have done lots of research into areas and made a decision based on where we think will be good for our family. Our thinking is that we culd spend thousands on visiting for a holiday and enjoy the country as a holiday destination but until you live somewhere properly i don't think you will ever really know what it's like. We are going with an open mind and a lot of determination to make it work and at the end of the day if we don't like it we can return to the Uk and have experienced a great adventure

My thoughts exactly!

We are planning on making the permanent move to Australia without ever setting foot on the soil...and will only return to the States to visit....maybe. Hopefully we'll just convince our friends and family to come visit us down under.

Guest Hacking family

We've never been either but hoping to be in Perth either later this year or early next. We do have friends out there but i think if you go with an open mind and are prepared to take the rough with the smooth, make an effort and join in, hopefully things will work out for the best. Good luck to everyone, may all your dreams come true x

Guest cdchaplin

thats exactly our thoughts, being a nurse i see so much sadness ruined by ill health at such a young age. It has really made me think that we all have one life and don't know what is round the corner so got to ejnoy your life to the full. Yes we will all be sad to leave friends and loved ones but they will still be here living there lives and we will make new friends too. Let our adventure begin!!!!! When anmac do my bloody assessment lol!!!!!!

:wacko:

Guest PommieLou

I couldn't agree more! :biggrin: With that attitude you'll be fine :wink: I moved out here a year ago when I'd never been to Oz before. Go for it and enjoy it! x

Guest mackemsok

Hi There

We had never visited Australia before and like you couldnt afford to do a reccie, so we took the plunge and packed up everything and made the move to Perth. That was two and a half years ago and we have not regretted it for a moment. I felt that a 2 week reccie would not be enough time to make the decision. Some would say we were mad, but I don't think so we brought our 2 daughters who were 12 and 18 at the time and 2 dogs. Would we move back to the UK not in the foreseeable future, I have no desire to go back. Do I miss my family of course I do but what we have here I would not have back in the UK.

We love our lives but we put allot of effort into making it a great move.

Good luck x

Guest diesel72

Hi, also never been! Of course many do return back to the UK, but the majority of people stay in oz. Met many ex-pats coming back home to see family and friends through my work, and 95% say they would never come back to the UK. All depends your circumstances, work, family etc in australia and what it can offer you. At the moment the UK doesn't have much going for it, it has seen better days, the reality is the money is now in the Asia/Pacific region, the UK, USA all had their glory days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mazkinmond5

never been flights booked oct 17th!! everyone is shocked when we say we have never been and we are moving our young family there - but i just smile and say - well if we find we dont like it when we get there we will just CHANGE THE PLAN!! so matter of fact -does the trick. I think life is to short and cant wait to start our new adventure!!

good luck everyone and may your dreams come true.

You guys have nothing to worry about, you will LOVE it out there, I've was in Perth for 2 years, 1 on a WHV and 1 as a student, I'm going back again as a student next year, and will try to get PR after I've got my quals, its expensive being an overseas student but its the only way in for me, and yes it really is worth it all.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.....you'll miss everyone, it is gut wrenching but wait it out, it really is a land full of opportunities. :wink:

PHEW!!! glad there are sooo many of you just like us, have to say I am a little :embarrassed: because we have not yet been, but tbh at the same time just keen to go and start exploring once we get there after all the research we have done :yes: so basically everyone is saying it's fine?? Think if we had the opportunity we would defo go for a visit before moving, as not planning the big move until this time next year. It's quite amazing how so many of us just take the plunge - scary but blooming exciting :wink: