Physio Jobs

Guest Bennyp

Guest Bennyp

Hi,

Would it be possible for my partner to find Physio work in Australia if she is not registered?

She is a two year qualified physio working in a hospital in London and we are coming out on a WHV in a couple of months time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

My partner who is a physio had to take written exams in the uk, then practical exams in oz. Even though she had years of experience. All in all it about 2 years. You would not believe the paperwork involved. Where here now so it was worth it!!! We have been told it's far easier to register in New Zealand (no exams) it's all based on work experience and your personal development file and then you could practice in oz, not sure of the exact details though.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Guest Bennyp

Ok, does anyone know if you need to be registered to work as a Physio Assistant in Oz?

I read somewhere over that you may not need to be...

Guest smileykylie

some hospitals do have therapy assistants i think - best look at health jobs in the state you are looking at. (i met one once in Victoria)

in terms of qualifications do you mean 2 yr course or 2 yrs work experiences since qualification as that would make a massive difference I would htink.

Guest Louey

Hey

Think I can help you out on this one. I am a UK qualified Physiotherapist with 3 years work experience in NHS post degree. I am currently working as an assistant and have started the nightmare process of trying to register. My OH got a employer sponsored visa hence how I am here in OZ.

To register in Oz first you get your qualification assessed approx $1000 then you sit a written exam only held in March and September $1650 and then 3 practical exams at $1000 each. The practicals can only be done in Oz and are in MSK, Neuro and CVR. So all in all costs lots of money and about 12-18 months to complete.

Probably not worth trying to register if only on a WHV to be honest. Working as an assistant requires no registration and is probably the better option. I was fortunate as I managed to make contact with a hospital before I left the UK. When I arrived in Oz I got in touch and initially provided holiday cover for 3 weeks. Then one of the assistants left and I am now on a six month temporary contract so have been very lucky.

I am not sure if all hospitals cover people on annual leave. My advice would be contact as many hospitals as possibly before you leave UK. Bring all your uni certificates, HPC registration, CV and referees. When are you coming to Oz? Fingers crossed you may find some work. On the plus side the salary paid to assistants here is almost the same as what I got paid in the UK as a qualified, however you must bear in mind the cost of living here in Oz is higher.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bennyp

Thanks Jayne and Angie,

We're coming up in around 6 weeks time, I have asked my partner to contact as many hosptials in the Sydney area before we come. We both agreed the registration was a lot of work for potentially one years trip.

Good to hear that there's a few other physios out there on the forum :)

I qualified 2 years ago and been working in NHS until I moved over to Melbourne 6 weeks ago with my hubby on his 457. Original plan had been to try the NZ registration route but our move happened quicker than expected so didn't get the chance. They're also tightening up a bit as loads of people registering but not working in NZ - think you've got to show that you've actually planning on going to NZ (flights booked, WHM visa, etc).

From speaking to friends who'd been and worked here before it used to be really easy to get temp registration in some states such as Victoria, but since its all gone national with AHPRA its a bit of a mare. I've had to first of all get a job - a lot of them at the moment are in aged care facilities, from what I found a lot of hospitals weren't keen to take on limited reg physios. Once I had a job offer my employer has had to write a couple of letters stating what work I'll be doing, why its in the public's interest that I have limited registration & that I'll be supervised. I've then had to apply to the APC so that they can assess if my qualifications and experience are appropriate to the specific job offer - at the same time I've applied to AHPRA for my actual limited registration. All of which has involved A LOT of paperwork and around $800.

At the moment we're waiting on the APC to ok my quals and experience - they've had my application for 2 weeks now & say my paperwork is complete but it could take a few weeks for them to give me a decision on whether they think I am suitably qualified, not sure what they're actually doing in the meantime. AHPRA say my application will be ready to go to the board meeting only when we get the ok from the APC. AHPRA board only meets once a month, so I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the APC gets a move on and gives me approval before 23rd of this month. If not I've got to wait another month .... and even then keep fingers crossed that AHPRA give me approval. This is all for this specific job - if I move employers there's a chance I'll have to go through this hoop jumping (and cost) all over again.

Its all been really frustrating so far, and this is just to get temp registration - then got to pay around another $4500 to sit the exams. The other issue is that employers seem to be paying less just because you don't have full reg. I have wondered at times whether its all worth it, but I know it will be in the long run.

From what I've seen some hospitals do advertise for assistants and they don't need to be registered.

If you have the time then I'd definitely advise trying to go the NZ registration route as I get the impression that it'd be very easy to find work with full registration and there's always loads of jobs advertised in Melbourne and Sydney at the moment.

Not sure if any of that helps, would be good to hear other peoples experiences or registration and working over here.

Guest Guest26012

Im a nurse in Perth! Was asking the Physios at work about working in oz! I have UK physios that want to come here, friends. They say its really difficult for uk physios to work here! Hence, every physio on our ward is ozzy trained! Cant get my head round it to be honest!

It is a nightmare I am UK trained and have just started the process. Fortunately I am already in Oz on my OH visa. It's going to cost me a fortune I must be mad!!!!

Seems a shame to waste my training but at the same time is very frustrating. Anyone on here gone through the process recently? Would be good to hear how it went?

Louey, I'm right there with you on the frustrated front! We must be mad :) Are you applying for the March exams?

I'm going to try and get the first bit of my application for it done as soon as I've started earning some money. Would be good to stay in touch for a bit of mutual support through the exam process and also to hear from anyone else out there whose going through it - or advice from those who've done it.

How are you finding the work as an assistant? Is the role similar to the UK?

Hey Katkin

I am doing the exam in March they have assessed my qualifications as suitable to sit the exam after I had paid them $1,000. Anyway best get off my soap box lol!!! The cut off date for the March exam is the middle of November.

Working as an assistant is ok the hospital I work in assistants have less responsibility than their UK equivalent. It's actually quite a nice easy life :0) I am very lucky as they are allowing me to do some job shadowing when I am not work ( I work part-time). Would be good to keep in touch. Hope fully someone will come along and offer us some advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thought I'd send an update....unfortunately the APC haven't yet finished with reviewing my application and doing the report to assess if I'm suitable for the job I've been offered, so I've missed the boat on this months AHPRA board meeting.

So looks like it'll be at least another month before I can start my job, but that's all providing that a) APC gives me a positive assessment and b) AHPRA does the same.

AHPRA board only meets once a month hence the long wait... I'm finding that when it comes to applications, assessements and generally anything healthcare job related nothing happens quickly.

I've started looking at temp job options in the meantime, but again nothing happens quickly & even though I've had office experience prior to qualifying as a physio I'm struggling to get temp work too.

My advice to any physios planning on coming out here would be to definitely try and get as much of the registration process completed before coming over here (or do the NZ route), and if you're planning on going the limited registration route ensure that you've either got plenty of money to sustain you whilst you wait...or make sure that you get some temp work sorted before you even start looking for physio jobs....and be prepared for A LOT of form filling.

I know that it'll all be worth it in the end, but it can be quite frustrating and depressing at times - all I want to do is be a physio !!!

• 2 months later...

hey Louey,

Just wondering how things are going with you and the assistants role?

As an update I got my APC approval through for the job i was talking about before - unfortunately for one reason or another (mainly financial - realised was going to be paid less than the new grads just because i was on temp reg) I decided to pull out of the process before taking it to AHPRA. Gutting as I've lost $400 but better in the long run I think.

At the moment I've just got a job in the return to work sector - its not physio so I do really really miss the clinical side of things. Got a few other irons in the fire at the moment so will see what happens. Though heard that they're changing the limited registration at the end of the month, so looks like that might not be an option any more if it goes through :( They certainly like to make it difficult!

Applied for March exams too. Are you in touch with AAPTA? Its a group of physios going through the same process...lots of info on there - some useful, some not so but worth joining.

PM if you want to share any revision/experiences etc for the exams :)

Hey Katkin

I have lost all motivation for revising so I think I am going to postpone my exam till September which will give me to June to decide whether I want to continue. I am quite enjoying the less responsibility that comes with being an assistant and especially the fact that I dont have to do on calls!!!

I am on a contract as an assistant now until June and then I think they will advertise the assistant job and there is a good chance I would get it. I have become very disillusioned with the whole registration process as I am sure many people do.

Perhaps one day they will recognise the experience people have as well as their qualification and maybe award registration on that basis. Even if they suggested a period of supervision by an Australian Physio to check competancy that would be better than the current system they have now.

Anyway enough of my rant.....lol. Who knows I might change my mind again yet but it's so much money to pay out with no guarantees and I am not very good at taking gambles.

• 4 years later...
Hey

Think I can help you out on this one. I am a UK qualified Physiotherapist with 3 years work experience in NHS post degree. I am currently working as an assistant and have started the nightmare process of trying to register. My OH got a employer sponsored visa hence how I am here in OZ.

To register in Oz first you get your qualification assessed approx $1000 then you sit a written exam only held in March and September $1650 and then 3 practical exams at $1000 each. The practicals can only be done in Oz and are in MSK, Neuro and CVR. So all in all costs lots of money and about 12-18 months to complete.

Probably not worth trying to register if only on a WHV to be honest. Working as an assistant requires no registration and is probably the better option. I was fortunate as I managed to make contact with a hospital before I left the UK. When I arrived in Oz I got in touch and initially provided holiday cover for 3 weeks. Then one of the assistants left and I am now on a six month temporary contract so have been very lucky.

I am not sure if all hospitals cover people on annual leave. My advice would be contact as many hospitals as possibly before you leave UK. Bring all your uni certificates, HPC registration, CV and referees. When are you coming to Oz? Fingers crossed you may find some work. On the plus side the salary paid to assistants here is almost the same as what I got paid in the UK as a qualified, however you must bear in mind the cost of living here in Oz is higher.

Hope this helps

Hi Louey,

I've just completed my UK physio degree and was hoping to become a physio assistant in Aus, and I've noticed you're a PA yourself! I have ajob i would like to apply for but I am completely new to the whole thing! I am not sure where to start, do I need a sponsor before i can apply for a visa? what category of visa do I need to work as a PA?

Please help! I'd be grateful for any extra info that you may think is helpful!

Many thanks :)

Rachel

Hi Louey,

I've just completed my UK physio degree and was hoping to become a physio assistant in Aus, and I've noticed you're a PA yourself! I have ajob i would like to apply for but I am completely new to the whole thing! I am not sure where to start, do I need a sponsor before i can apply for a visa? what category of visa do I need to work as a PA?

Please help! I'd be grateful for any extra info that you may think is helpful!

Many thanks :)

Rachel

Louey hasn't been active on the forum since 2012 (profile shows this). Also this is a very old thread from 2011. If you've questions you are better to start a new thread and get replies there :)

Can't help other than to say that physio is very competitive, at least in Qld. Only students with an op of 1 got a uni place a couple of yrs ago. My son was chasing that career but missed out with his OP but to give you an idea of how competiitve it was, he was offered law! He wasted a yr on that, jacked it in, and is now doing Bachelor of Exercise and Movement Science to obtain credits towards the physio route................looks like he'll be studying for at least another 5 yrs to be a physio!