barnabus72

Train query Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast

Hi

we are in Oz in August on a recciein August and are looking to how we will get around- car hire is very expensive, so we are looking at train travel.

Our biggest journey we need to do is from Caloundra to Surfers Paradise- how easy and costly will that be with 2 young children, and all our bags ?

any website addresses we can look at for train times etc

Thanks

Guest Louey

Hey there

Translink au is your best bet for checking out information. I live on the Gold Coast and know the trip from Brisbane down here is about 60-70 mins depending on where you get off the train. There is no train station at Surfers so you would have to get off and then catch a bus. To be honest I think it would be a lot of hassle for you and public transport can be quite expensive. If you are going to travel look at purchasing a Go card. The Translink site will tell you about them it makes the journeys 10% cheaper. If it was me I would look into hiring a car it might actually be cheaper and certainly give you more freedom to explore. There are lots of areas you can't get to on public transport as we found out before we bought a car. Feel free to message if you want any further advice.

I totally agree, trying to do a reccie without a car is madness!!! the public transport is pretty poor outside the cities and you will never see half of the place and wont get a real feel for the areas,plus after spending all that money on flights do you really want to spend half of your hols waiting around at bus stops and train stations? you can rent a small car for as little as $34 per day and if you have good travel insurance it covers things like the collision damage waver insurance which can cost an extra $15 per day, petrol is reasonable too so you would probably find it cheaper

I aree you can hire a car for about the price of the previouse answer if you look around and dont acceept the first quote. We have just done the trip Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast three hrs

I aree you can hire a car for about the price of the previouse answer if you look around and dont acceept the first quote. We have just done the trip Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast three hrs
There is an alternitive greyhound choach fare is Au $184 total one way 2aduts 2children. yes its expencive to use public transport in Oz that why we all use cars

So many great places to see Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast - Gold Coast hinterland is magical with rainforest walks - have to be seen to be believed. You can see it all in a car, or none of it by public transport. Distances here are huge and everyone drives. Public transport exists to take people to work in cities and get them home again...

Hi

we are in Oz in August on a recciein August and are looking to how we will get around- car hire is very expensive, so we are looking at train travel.

Our biggest journey we need to do is from Caloundra to Surfers Paradise- how easy and costly will that be with 2 young children, and all our bags ?

any website addresses we can look at for train times etc

Thanks

Agree with the other comments, don't try to do it on the train (which isn't cheap anyway), you'd be changing in Brisbane and the trains are packed for very extended commuting hours (5:30AM to 10:00 and 15:00 to 19:00). Car hire isn't too expensive if you stay away from the big companies, try vroomvroom for a quote.