Job opportunity & Living cost in NT

Nazmul

Hello Friends

Thanks to all for your advices and support. I have my Skill Assessment positive as Human Resources Adviser. Now I am waiting for state sponsorship from NT.

Can you please let me know on the employment prospects of NT?

If I need to move to NT then which city, should I choose? What is the living cost of a six-member family in Darwin, including housing, food, schooling, etc?

Cheers...

Nazmul Ahsan

Guest JamesP

Nazmul,

petrol is pretty pricey up here. It's anywhere between $1.45 and $1.50 in Darwin and surrounding areas. Rental prices for flats vary anywhere between $140/wk and even upto $900/wk, depending on location etc.

Can't be much more helpful than that i'm afraid, as i myself have only been here a couple of weeks

regards

James P

Personally with a family of 6 I would be looking in and around Palmerston for a rental.An average 4 bedroomed will set you back $500--600 a week.Its only 20 mins from Darwin CBD.Sadly it is a little expensive up here we do not have the range of shops that the rest of Australia has.Although the markets are a great way of saving a little on your shopping bill.

There are lots of jobs advertised Im not sure about yours though.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Friends

Thanks to all for your advices and support. I have my Skill Assessment positive as Human Resources Adviser. Now I am waiting for state sponsorship from NT.

Can you please let me know on the employment prospects of NT?

If I need to move to NT then which city, should I choose? What is the living cost of a six-member family in Darwin, including housing, food, schooling, etc?

Cheers...

Nazmul Ahsan

Hi Nazmul

We arrived in Darwin mid-July and I am a HR professional. people keep telling me I will easily get work as I have 12 years experience and have worked in a number of roles, plus have plenty of UK qualifications. In reality I haven't seen floods of job ads but I get the impression that here its more about who you know than what you know. I have already stared to build up a network of contacts in various agnecies and gov't depts where they have some vacancies - so fingers crossed it won't be long now.

My hubby works in IT and was offered 2 jobs after telephone interviews - he has never been in a position where he has turned down work before! I think there is plenty of work here because of the transient workforce, alot of people move on after a couple of years. If you are not too fussy and prepared to get stuck in when you get here you should be fine.

Cost of living seems expensive, especially housing when we compare back to the UK. But we have just found a house in Palmerston that we love and when we work out the cost as a proportion of wages it is pretty comparable with England. We have also got to stop comparing back to the UK and GB£. As Janine said I would suggest you look at Palmerston (use realestate.com) and expect to pay what she suggested.

I'm curious to know if you have actually put your SS application in yet? When I did mine I had to provide heaps of research into cost of living, relocation costs, climate, job opportunities etc. My agent said the NT are very particular about these things and are unlikely to grant sponsorship without plenty of evidence of research.

If you haven't sent your SS ap in yet send me a PM and let me know what costs you have come up with so far...I will try to help you...although we are still new here so haven't been able to test all of my previous reserach yet :biggrin:

best of luck

Jo

Hi Nazmul

We arrived in Darwin mid-July and I am a HR professional. people keep telling me I will easily get work as I have 12 years experience and have worked in a number of roles, plus have plenty of UK qualifications. In reality I haven't seen floods of job ads but I get the impression that here its more about who you know than what you know. I have already stared to build up a network of contacts in various agnecies and gov't depts where they have some vacancies - so fingers crossed it won't be long now.

My hubby works in IT and was offered 2 jobs after telephone interviews - he has never been in a position where he has turned down work before! I think there is plenty of work here because of the transient workforce, alot of people move on after a couple of years. If you are not too fussy and prepared to get stuck in when you get here you should be fine.

Cost of living seems expensive, especially housing when we compare back to the UK. But we have just found a house in Palmerston that we love and when we work out the cost as a proportion of wages it is pretty comparable with England. We have also got to stop comparing back to the UK and GB£. As Janine said I would suggest you look at Palmerston (use realestate.com) and expect to pay what she suggested.

I'm curious to know if you have actually put your SS application in yet? When I did mine I had to provide heaps of research into cost of living, relocation costs, climate, job opportunities etc. My agent said the NT are very particular about these things and are unlikely to grant sponsorship without plenty of evidence of research.

If you haven't sent your SS ap in yet send me a PM and let me know what costs you have come up with so far...I will try to help you...although we are still new here so haven't been able to test all of my previous reserach yet :biggrin:

best of luck

Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks for your very informative post. I am yet to apply for SS. Before that, as you also told, I need hips of information substantiating my research. This is such a uphill task. I do not have anyone known in NT. It was a great relief to get your assurance of help. Please give me your email address.

Best of luck with your career in NT.:happy_face_sticking

Personally with a family of 6 I would be looking in and around Palmerston for a rental.An average 4 bedroomed will set you back $500--600 a week.Its only 20 mins from Darwin CBD.Sadly it is a little expensive up here we do not have the range of shops that the rest of Australia has.Although the markets are a great way of saving a little on your shopping bill.

There are lots of jobs advertised Im not sure about yours though.

Hi janine the party queen

Thanks for your post.

Best of luck

Hi Jo

Thanks for your very informative post. I am yet to apply for SS. Before that, as you also told, I need hips of information substantiating my research. This is such a uphill task. I do not have anyone known in NT. It was a great relief to get your assurance of help. Please give me your email address.

Hi Jo

Thanks for your very informative post. I am yet to apply for SS. Before that, as you also told, I need heaps of information substantiating my research. This is such a uphill task. I do not have anyone known in NT. It was a great relief to get your assurance of help. Please give me your email address.

Hi Nazmul

best of luck

Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks for your very informative post. I am yet to apply for SS. Before that, as you also told, I need heaps of information substantiating my research. This is such a uphill task. I do not have anyone known in NT. It was a great relief to get your assurance of help. Please give me your email address.