and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest siamsusie

Qantas strike goes ahead

Guest siamsusie

Qantas pilots say they will try to avoid disrupting passengers when they take industrial action against the airline

Long haul pilots are seeking a guarantee from management, not to employ pilots from overseas.

They say they are still hoping to negotiate, and and will try to minimise any disruption to travellers.

Qantas says it's not planning to send jobs overseas, but the pilots say they don't believe management.

The Australian online has reported, Australian and International Pilots Association vice-president Richard Woodward would not reveal what action the union was planning, but said it would be obvious to passengers and the union would attempt to minimise disruptions.

'We can't promise that, of course, because other unions are upset with company as well,' he said. "But the stuff we initiate, certainly in the initial phases, we'll do our very best to minimise any disruptions to passengers."

Tuesday 12th July 2011

Guest siamsusie

July 19th 2011

Qantas long-haul pilots will take industrial action from Friday, the airline says.

The Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) was due to announce its action plans at 11am (AEST).

But Qantas said it had already been told there would be work bans.

'Qantas is assessing the implications of the work bans and will write to the pilots' union to seek clarification,' it said in a statement on Tuesday.

'At this stage, we don't expect any flight delays or cancellations.'

Qantas said it was disappointed by the planned action.

Later, the union said the action would focus on raising public awareness and not on disrupting flights.

It would include pilots making in-flight announcements, which the AIPA said would be brief and positive.

'After all, Qantas pilots are attempting to defend the brand they care about deeply,' AIPA spokesman and Qantas pilot Nathan Safe told reporters in Sydney.

The union action stems from a long-running dispute between the pilots and the carrier over pay and conditions.

Qantas says its long-haul pilots are among the best paid in the business, with an average Boeing 747 captain earning $350,000 a year, including superannuation, while its best paid Airbus A380 captain was on $500,000 a year.

Asked how likely work stoppages were, Mr Safe said: 'I can't predict how likely or unlikely it is. It is certainly undesirable'.

'It's not a path that we want to go down but the door is open to Qantas management to have sensible discussion with us and recognise that we are providing flexbilities (sic).

'We want to be partners in ensuring the future success of Qantas.'

Mr Safe said that during the in-flight announcements, pilots would talk about the safety culture built up through the years and about the experience and the skills they provide for Qantas passengers.

'We'll make it quite clear that we feel that those services are under threat and then we'll offer them a chance to find out more through the website,' he said.

On a long-haul flight from Sydney to London, the in-flight announcements will likely be heard twice.

Mr Safe said the AIPA had received dozens of letters, phone calls and emails from supporters.

'A lot of Australians love Qantas. It's one of the few genuine Australian companies that we have left and I think once members of the public - and particularly loyal Qantas passengers - understand what we're talking about they are ultimately very sympathetic,' Mr Safe said.

AIPA has launched a website, qantaspilots.com.au, to explain why the pilots are taking protected industrial action against Qantas for the first time in 45 years.

It has also launched a national billboard campaign featuring the message 'When you board a Qantas flight, you expect a Qantas pilot' in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Mr Safe repeated union concerns about the outsourcing and offshoring of pilot jobs at Qantas.

'We hope that Qantas passengers will send the message to Qantas management that they want to keep genuine Qantas pilots at the control of their Qantas flights, that's what they expect when they buy a ticket,' Mr Safe said.

We know that the biggest wake-up call we can send the current management team is to blow the whistle on their plans to strip a proud Australian icon down to its bare bones and ship operations to Asia.'

Qantas has previously rejected AIPA's claim it is planning to send pilot jobs offshore.

Quants are always striking, I remember when my mum came to visit they went on strike and she missed her connecting flight from Singapore :(

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest siamsusie

5pm 19th July 2011

Qantas international long-haul pilots have not ruled out a nationwide work stoppage as they begin industrial action for the first time in 45 years over job security.

The Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) said its members would begin 30 days of protected industrial action by trying to win the support of the airline's customers.

From Friday, pilots will make 'brief and positive' in-flight announcements to passengers in a campaign to stop any attempt by Qantas to shift their jobs offshore.

AIPA spokesman and Qantas pilot Nathan Safe said captains would talk to passengers about the safety culture and their skills.

'We'll make it quite clear that we feel that those services are under threat,' Mr Safe told reporters in Sydney on Tuesday.

On long-haul flights from Sydney to London the union message can be expected to be heard twice, while some domestic pilots will also address their passengers.

The union will also mount a national billboard and internet website campaign to back its pursuit of a 'Qantas flight/Qantas pilot' clause in a new enterprise agreement.

Mr Safe said action had to be taken because management still refused to discuss a written agreement to ensure pilots' jobs wouldn't be sent offshore.

'We've seen some very minor offshoring numbers to New Zealand, around 100 pilots fly out of New Zealand under a sham company called Jetconnect that markets and presents itself as genuine Qantas when in fact it isn't,' he said.

'We've seen in Jetstar the setting up of bases in Singapore marketed as Jetstar International, and we think the next step will ultimately be to set up a Qantas mainline base in Asia, and that'll see hundreds or thousands of jobs in Australia lost to Asia.

Guest guest37336

Right 'o' Susie.

Does this mean if I get on a plane now (Qantas,:yes:) and time it right, when they go on strike I will be 'stuck' in Australia,:jiggy::jiggy:, wouldn't that be a bugger,:yes:

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
Right 'o' Susie.

Does this mean if I get on a plane now (Qantas,:yes:) and time it right, when they go on strike I will be 'stuck' in Australia,:jiggy::jiggy:, wouldn't that be a bugger,:yes:

:laugh::twitcy: You dont miss an opportunity Tony do you lol:notworthy::hug:

Guest guest37336
:laugh::twitcy: You dont miss an opportunity Tony do you lol:notworthy::hug:

Volcano, strike and 'Ello, matey, IT'S ME' :hug: are my watch words when travelling to Australia Susie,:yes:

The 'Ello, matey, IT'S ME' has two distinct connotations. One a friendly remark as I rock up on a friends doorstep uninvited, the other said in my best cockney accent and somewhat threatening in nature depending who opens the door after I have 'found' them,:shocked::policeman:

Guest siamsusie
Volcano, strike and 'Ello, matey, IT'S ME' :hug: are my watch words when travelling to Australia Susie,:yes:

The 'Ello, matey, IT'S ME' has two distinct connotations. One a friendly remark as I rock up on a friends doorstep uninvited, the other said in my best cockney accent and somewhat threatening in nature depending who opens the door after I have 'found' them,:shocked::policeman:

I only open the door these days to Uncle Colin:biggrin: who hopefully will have a Scottish accent:huh::biggrin: