Gordon in Canberra- a good place to stay????

Leeannetricia

Cycling to city? LOL nope not unless you are an Olympian in training. Gordon is about as far south as you can go (only Conder and Banks are further south) and on a good day without traffic it will take you anywhere between 35 and 45 minutes to get into Civic - in a car!!! In the rush hour, all bets are off, could be 35 minutes, could be an hour and 35 minutes depending on traffic, lights, accidents etc It took me 40 mins the other day to get from Civic to Banks which is a few mins further south and most of that was hitting every bloody traffic light down Drakeford Drive - if you hit one you hit them all!

Public transport will be reasonably regular, probably on the half hour and you will have short rests at the two interchanges on the way in to Civic but I would think it would probably be close to an hour into Civic.

Tuggeranong used to be called nappy valley and now those in the nappies are belligerent teens so it is that sort of age. I have some friends who love Tuggeranong but for ease of access it isnt great and for schools it is not good at all. For cafes is doesnt really rate and the local shopping mall is on the downward slide from all accounts, not that it started from a very high base.

However I guess you go where you can get a rental that will take pets and the landlord likes the look of you. Where will you be working? If you are working in Tugg or Woden then it makes sense. If you are working in Belconnen then it makes no sense at all and if you are working in Civic it is marginal IMHO

Hi, been browsing online for places to stay! Gordon came up with some of my requirements(somewhere where I can rent and take my dogs)

Is it a nice place to stay!and what's public transport like- or cycling to city??

Thanks leeanne

Hi there Leeane

We arrived in Canberra 6 weeks ago and are living in Calwell which is the opposite side of Gordon. I like Calwell and the views are amazing and there are lots of walks if thats what you are interested in - and lots of cycle parks too. I would agree with Quoll in that there is no way you would cycle into the city centre from Gordon but it takes me 45 mins to get to Civic to work and thats door to door. Public transport in Canberra seems to be (although we havent used it) pretty poor but I think there is a Rapid Bus you can get but I dont think it goes out as far as Gordon. Trendy restaurants etc may be hard to find in Tugg but there are a number of restaurants in the Erindale shops which are quite nice. Also you are about a 20 min drive from Kingston and Manuka (most restaurants etc on Southside). I guess it all depends what you are after. Have you got kids, where you are working etc etc. So far Calwell is working for us and the OH has a job in Weston Creek so its not too far for him!

Suzanne