register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

rockola57

Pool Care Tips.

Hi,

We are moving into our first home in OZ in 2 weeks,and it's got a small in ground pool.Anyway,i have not got a clue about them,upkeep etc.Did notice on last visit to the house there is a little Algae around the walls under water.Does anyone know any simple,easy way to keep on top of it all,and have a nice pool 12 months a year.Thanks.:confused:

Guest guest30038

I struggled with algae every year, mainly black spot algae. The water was always good but after run-off rain, the phosphates washed into the pool feeds the algae. More unsightly than a real problem.

The I saw something simply called "Pool Blocks" in Bunnings and thought I'd give 'em a try. Just one block in the filter basket lasts about a month and has cleared the algae and kept it clear. About 40 bucks for 6 blocks.

get your snorkle on and grab a brush:yes:

C U Jimmy,

Ahv'e a wee job for ye.Can yer start next week!:wink:

I use 'Hot Zone' to keep black and mustard algae under control and it works well. I learnt alot when we came here from the pool school's on line, Zodiac had a good one and its all free.

Whatever you do try to learn how to do it yourself, if you rely on pool shops it will cost you a fortune.lol.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Spindrifter
I struggled with algae every year, mainly black spot algae. The water was always good but after run-off rain, the phosphates washed into the pool feeds the algae. More unsightly than a real problem.

The I saw something simply called "Pool Blocks" in Bunnings and thought I'd give 'em a try. Just one block in the filter basket lasts about a month and has cleared the algae and kept it clear. About 40 bucks for 6 blocks.

Hi There

First thing to discover is whether the pool is salt or fresh water. It makes a lot of difference to the upkeep of the pool - in both cost and time. Fresh water pools take more maintenance mainly due to adding chlorine to the water and balancing the Ph. The sunlight (UV) leaches the chlorine from the water so a daily check is necessary to determine how much and when to add it - especially on sunny days. Chlorine come in granules or concentrated liquid which I think is best as it mixes in the water quicker and leaves no residue nor requires mixing Also green algae and black spot are more prevalent in fresh water pools. Filters also need checking/stripping and cleaning on a regular basis. Vacuuming, skimming and keeping the pool clean of debris is also crucial. Your best bet is to find a pool maintenance guy to visit and show you the ropes - then away you go. In my opinion - and I’ve had a three below ground pool, two glass fibre and one concrete - that salt water is the way to go.

Anyway, good luck and may I wish you a sparkling crystal clear pool. But be aware the pool will require constant care and maintenance.

C U Jimmy,

Ahv'e a wee job for ye.Can yer start next week!:wink:

nae probs al grab ma snorkle get the beer ready pal:jiggy:

No tips .. mines a blow up pool lol , but huge congrats for the new home !!:yes:

to much partying to much booze gives you spots and makes you snooze!

sharon.

Take your pool water to local shop to get tested - its free- every 2 weeks in the summer less often in winter - they give good advice on how long etc to run chlorinator dependent on time of year and what product to put in it does not take long to work out whats right for your pool.

Guest guest37336

No advice Rock, know nothing about pools, just a cautionary tail is all mate.

Had a friend in Darwin once who insisted on letting the flood waters fill his pool, I tell you what, the next time the pool cleaners came around they were not impressed.

article-1083788-0263031F000005DC-455_468x344_popup.jpg

We changed ours to salt water, as OH couldn't be bothered with all the hassle. He still gets water checked etc. ... and does some other stuff (too technical for me).

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

We changed ours to salt water, as OH couldn't be bothered with all the hassle. He still gets water checked etc. ... and does some other stuff (too technical for me).

You sound like me!I'll have to get old Fachache onto it.Yet another Chore for her to endure,as she so eloquently puts it,if you know what i mean!!!!:wink::yes:

Indeed I do rockola57, indeed I do.............anyway how much does a pool cost to put and maintain........a below ground one that is, I know about the others and the cheapest I've found was ASDA £1!

Job offer April 2011, Reccie July 2011, 457 submitted 21/09/2011, my medical only 14/10/11, medical submitted 21/10/11 (IT issues), referred 21/10/11, approved 27/10/11, landed 24/4/12, PR submitted (decision ready) June 2012, PR granted August 2013

Ours is salt water chlorinated and the last time i touched it was April and its still crystal clear, of course in summer when we are using it all the time its need a bit more attention maybe, a check once a week and treating every couple,, UNLESS the blooming ducks get in and trigger the phosphates off, then it can take me a few hours a day for around 4 days to get it clear again!!

Cal we bought and had ours fitted 4 years ago, it is fibreglass and 12 1/2 mtrs long by 4 1/2 mtrs wide and approx holds 50 to 60,000 litres of water (it is quite deep), it cost with the fencing and everything about $35k, so not cheap ,lol, but i think ive saved that in public pool charges these last few years,lol,, i honestly dont think i could live without one now,lol.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Hii!

We are just about to move into a rental with a pool :) Problem is we dont have a clue what to do with it!! from scotland and never had a pool before!! Anyone any hints and tips to get us started, water is clear, bottom of one side of the pool has black spots and just some leaves that need skimming from the top. Should we get a guy in to check and show us the ropes first - rather than tackling things ourselves?? Any advice would be great!

You could get a guy out but no doubt ''you will need this, that and the other'' costing who knows what.. You really need to learn how to do it but in the meantime, take a sample of the wter to your local pool shop and they will tell you exactly what it needs. Pool shops like to sell you chemicals too,lol, so visit a few near where you live and see how seems the best. I know my nearest always costs me alot more than my preferred shop 10 mins away.

I used Zodiac pool school on line to help me learn, there are also quite a few forums that i found helpfu and i also ask the shop staff loads of questions when i go. Always remember your pool is individual, weather, water type,trees, surronding vegatation, birds etc all have an impact on how your pool works.

Finally and probably worth doing first,as its a rental your in ask the agent if the owner would be prepared to pop around and run through everything with you.

Good Luck and if you get stuck post on here and we will do our best to help.

Cal x

You could get a guy out but no doubt ''you will need this, that and the other'' costing who knows what.. You really need to learn how to do it but in the meantime, take a sample of the wter to your local pool shop and they will tell you exactly what it needs. Pool shops like to sell you chemicals too,lol, so visit a few near where you live and see how seems the best. I know my nearest always costs me alot more than my preferred shop 10 mins away.

I used Zodiac pool school on line to help me learn, there are also quite a few forums that i found helpfu and i also ask the shop staff loads of questions when i go. Always remember your pool is individual, weather, water type,trees, surronding vegatation, birds etc all have an impact on how your pool works.

Finally and probably worth doing first,as its a rental your in ask the agent if the owner would be prepared to pop around and run through everything with you.

Good Luck and if you get stuck post on here and we will do our best to help.

Cal x

Thanks v.much for advice! Will head to pool shop asap!

Is it easy and does it cost much to convert chlorine to salt water?

Is it easy and does it cost much to convert chlorine to salt water?

Mine is salt water chlorinated so its very rare we add chlorine, you basically put salt in and the chlorinator attached to the pump turns the salt to natural chlorine.

I add acid when needed which is around $30 a bottle , on average i use 2 bottles a year.

I dont think its costs much to run electric wise as we dont see much of a difference in winter when running time is halved.

It is quite easy to pick up the workings, im not that technically minded and sucked at science in school but i manage ok,lol, and i have got my trips to the pool shop for back up tests down to about 3 a year.

Cal x