Good on ya Julie

Guest Hatton

Guest Hatton

Not over keen on the women but as I am a staunch Green Party member I applaud this...and about time.:jiggy: I had some good heated arguments with my Aussie friends.

Australia plans to impose carbon tax on worse polluters.

Australia is one of the world's worst emitters of greenhouse gases per head of population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14096750

YAAAAAAAy excellent even higher bills to pay - can`t wait:jiggy: ! Personally I think she has just kissed goodbye to her job. What a shame that it will be passed on to the people in the street - wasn`t she the one who said they wouldn`t bring it in? :arghh:

Me too - and hopefully kiss goodbye to The Greens holding the balance of power. This is what happens when you have single issue parties at the helm. Merkel is in a similar pickle too.

Anyway, it gets folk talking about the issue and that can't be a bad thing.

Guest Scotinaus

There is another thread on this topic on the News, Gossip section :)

I too think it's great! And not sure why the average person thinks they will be worse off... 90% of Aussies will be compensated as the tax threshold will be raised for them. Not for me sadly but I am happy to pay.

Guest Scotinaus

Yes people who earn over $150k won't be compensated, or it might be $110k, need to check. She has at least been open about that. As you say, we miss out on everything but to me it makes sense to compensate the people who need it most first before taking care of high earners. The only annoying thing is that actual take home pay isn't taken into consideration. High earners pay a lot more tax than most of the population already. This makes sense in general but pretty soon we might be lucky to take 40% of our income home with us!! :)

Agree about take home pay being hit when in a higher tax bracket, we had that, we managed to bring our children up with no child allowance,no tax credits, no childcare help, as we were in a high income bracket.

No time for people who whinge about tax, tax gives us the standard of living we have.

If people do not want to pay tax try one of the third world countries.

Oh we do pay our taxes and accept that we have to pay them - have never "whinged" about paying them in the past either - however what I think I am entitled to whinge about is that although I am not directly paying the tax - I am indirectly paying the bill for all these companies who are being charged the carbon tax - despite the fact that we do try to make an effort to reduce, re use and recycle. The way this has been done makes no sense to me, "Lets tax 500 companies, then give more money to the lower incomes, to make up for the impact". You are not telling me that some companies aren`t going to jump on this as an excuse to increase prices over and above? Someone on another forum said why not fine the companies instead - that to me makes sense - bit of a carrot and stick thing going. Give incentives so that every household might reduce their carbon footprint.

So yes I am whinging, because I can, because Im peed off and it stops me from drawing moustaches and devils horns over every picture of every stupid bloody self serving politician I see!!!! :arghh: There! I feel better for that - rant over - normal service will be resumed shortly!

It's a funny issue "climate change" (changed from global warning). It's one of those things where everyone agrees something needs doing but no-one wants to pay.

In the last year or so we've seen a big swing in the people who believe in the science and the proof that it's happening. I think people have a very short memory and whilst most of the country was in the worst drought ever they were full of belief. Since then the East coast has seen the drought well and truly broken and had the opposite, months of rain and floods.

Starts people thinking this "global warming" is a load of bulldust. Hence the name change, it was confusing people.

To be honest I'm sick of hearing about it already and let's just get on with it. It's obvious that everyone will all be affected by it, that's the only way it will work. I find it interesting that the people who seem to be complaining the most are the richest. Jerry Harvey, Gina Reinhardt spring to mind.

We had been saving up for solar panels - may have to save harder now, then get rid of the gas heaters and buy a woodburner - get a license from council and go chop down some trees and then burn them to keep me warm - not exactly a good result but something Im now seriously considering. The problem is that when you start to put pressure on financially it becomes easy to be selfish and say I will do what I can to keep my family above water and safe and warm - short sighted I know but.....

Guest shooterguy

Makes no sense

Close down Australian coal fired power stations, charge us more for electricity, put the coal in diesel powered ships send it to china. Load into diesel powered trains transport it then burn it in Chinese coal fired power stations.

How does that reduce carbon emissions

Yes people who earn over $150k won't be compensated, or it might be $110k, need to check. She has at least been open about that. As you say, we miss out on everything but to me it makes sense to compensate the people who need it most first before taking care of high earners. The only annoying thing is that actual take home pay isn't taken into consideration. High earners pay a lot more tax than most of the population already. This makes sense in general but pretty soon we might be lucky to take 40% of our income home with us!! :)

Is that joint income? The thing is that for us as a family we are 'just over' for everything, get no tax relief for anything at school (we had to buy apple mac notebook at over $1,000 for our son), no help with school supplies, uniforms etc. We're not huge earners but both work full time - but always seem to miss out