Mining industry - jobs for chefs

Guest Bambulka

Guest Bambulka

Hi all,

Just after some advice from those of you who have any experience within the mining industry.....

Hubby has been granted WA SS 176 back in Feb & is flying to Perth later this week. He saw few adverts for Chefs positions within the mining industry and this is something he would like to look into when he gets there.

Does anyone have any experience working within the mining industry? What is it like? Are these jobs popular and therefore difficult to get? Hubby's been in the british army for 22 years and recently came back from Afghanistan so he is used to hostile and remote environments. Failing that, are there plenty of jobs for chefs in Perth? We looked on seek.com.au and there seems to be a lot but I always take these with a pinch of salt.

Any advice on either mining chef positions or just normal chef position would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

They probably mean chefs at the accommodation camps; mine sites themselves are not catered but the camps (either on the lease or off it) are, and to a very high standard in my experience. There was an article in the local rag a couple of weeks back saying how a head chef in a mine camp can get $120k+ but they didn't say anything about how many vacancies they have.

On the downside, it's extremely hard work as they have two shifts (breakfast service starts at 4.00am generally) who have to prep through the night.

So in short, he probably wouldn't be in the mining industry per se, but as part of the mining service industry, which will have a hell of a lot less s**t attached to it but he may still have to go through all the drug test, medicals and inductins processes, depending if the camp is on lease or not.

A couple of the major service companies are The Mac group and ESS (in QLD anyway, couldn't tell you what the ones are in WA) but you may be able to get an idea of lifestyle for camp people off them. The ones I've stayed in have very high turnovers of site staff despite the money on offer, which may be in indication of what it's like.

I can't offer any help I'm afraid but would be interested to find out how your hubby gets on. My husband has just left the Army after nearly 26 years (they probably know each other or at least of each other - not sure whether we can pm on this site) like you have said thought he is also used to working in hostile and remote situations.

I have been suggesting for years that we apply for a visa to live in Australia but he's never been sure so we were going to book a holiday to visit (I've been before so really want to go back and visit some friends we have over there). About a week ago hubby then decided that he would like to apply for a visa, obviously this is a long process and until we have passed the skills assessment and he has taken the IELTS test (need an 8 for the points test) then we won't know for sure whether it can all be a reality. So nice to hear someone else with a similar background has been successful though. We are going to go through an agent though (probably Go Matilda) so will do that once we have found all of my husbands certificates etc I'm assuming we will need for the skills assessment.

One thing we thought about trying if we manage to get a visa is to contact Serco Sodexo in Australia as they hold the defence contract for the kitchens and they may have some work in Western Australia so they might be worth contacting here is a link to their site http://www.jobs.ssds.com.au/login.aspx?applyTo=none&CoId=196&rq=3.

Fingers crossed he finds something though I did speak to a chef on another site who trained in Australia and she said to me that they are in demand now it's been removed from the SOL so fingers crossed that will be the case in WA as well. Good Luck.

Nicki

• 4 months later...