Lack of jobs for plasterers perth NOR

Hayley723

Guest sansomjoanne
Hi everyone thanks for trying to help really appreciate it!!

We have slight progress, my husband had a call tonight from a plasterer who lives on the same estate as us saying that he will take my husband on as a labourer initially for 1 week then see how he gets on after that & he will show him everything he needs to know about plastering in western australia as its different to the uk, he starts on wednesday. We are happy as that is all he needs, just some wa experience & hes getting paid aswell.

Im going to phone the temping agencies tomorrow so fingers crossed. It has been on the news tonight that WA has the strongest economy out of the whole of Oz so it shouldnt be to hard to find work, just panicking I think!! this is a beautiful place & great for kids so gotta stick at it & keep fighting I guess.:yes:

All the best hayley, keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are seriously thinking of returning to oz next year. As I said before we were on the sunshine coast but have thought about moving to Perth hoping that there is more work for my builder husband. Stay strong and remember don't come back really try to stick it out Jo

Well it seems like plastering is right out the window!! my husband had his 1st day on site yesterday plastering & the lime that they use over here has burnt holes in his hands!! we knew plastering was slightly different over here but he suffers with dirmatitus (dont think that is spelt correctly!) & they were so bad the site manager said he had to come home as they were too bad. He walked in & I couldnt believe it, his hands were oozing with puss! he had to go & have them treated & dressed at the hospital & they said many people have to give up plastering over here as the limestone is really bad. He is in a bad way still, I have to practically dress him & tie his shoelaces! We cant believe it, were absolutely gutted he is going to have to have a complete career change now as lime is used in all plastering! He wants to go & work in the mines now but suppose that easier said than done!! We thought we were sorted when he got up yesterday morning for his 1st day.

Aghhhhhhhhhhh im so fed up!!!!!!!!!!! :arghh:

oh my goodness Hayley, hope things improve,as i said im supposed to come over next year to plaster,im leaving a thriving business behind, i am tho going to try and see if i can take a career change, or a product to oz. hope all goes well .:hug:

• 1 month later...

Hi Jules,

My husband has been plastering he brought some expensive gloves so the lime issue was no longer a problem. He has been working with a plasterer who moved over from Brighton 11 years ago, they have had work on but it is very up & down & not able to provide us with consistent income so my husband is having a career change & leaving plastering behind, he is going up to the mines 1 week on 1 week off, we know someone who is helping him get in (as it is very much who you know not what you know!), he is currently doing the course 2 days a week then plastering the rest of the week. He should be ready for the mines if all goes well & he passes his course by the end of sept. The guy that he has been working with plastering hasnt been abe to pay my husband 4 2 weeks though so its pretty crap. Some people are saying its a lull period with construction at the moment due to it being winter & their being a downturn in the housing market but we arnt prepared to wait for it 2 pick up as with children to support we just need regular income. It may be that plastring picks up by the time you come out but its really hard to say at the moment.

Good luck with your move.

Hayley

Hi Hayley, thanx for the reply.Its strange the aussies are sending people like me to plaster when their appears to be no work.Glad your chap has got alternative.Its a bit crappy hubby not getting paid for several weeks etc.I bet that made him fed up as thats the sort of thing that happens when you first start working for yourself and i bet he felt like hed gone backwards.I might end up down the pit myself,lol I have chance of work elswhere but dont want to contravene my agreement with immigration,.I am considering other employment maybe as a migration agent, seems to be loads of money in that, ha ha, best wishes

Ha ha! yes theres loads of money in that!

My husband has been frustrated at not getting paid reguarly especially as thats what we moved from the UK for! we thought by coming here it would enable regular work with regular income but thats not how it has been at all! I have been looking for a job & must of applied for about 50 jobs in administration/reception etc. I was looking for 2 full days as I didnt want the children to have to go to breakfast & after school clubs everyday but I am now looking for full time as I am desperate to get out working at least while my husbands income is up & down & until h goes up the mines. Its a nightmare! I had worked for the UK government for the past 10 years so thought my cv looked quite good but clearly not good enough!

Its certainly hard getting on the initial job ladder here but I am hoping that as soon as you do its fine.Anyway back to my job hunting!! lol!

Hayley

Guest edwardsfamily

hi there,

my friend was in the same position as you...her hubby is a brickie, another trade which is struggling. And she wanted an admin type job....

both were looking like a no go...however, 4 months in, she has landed herself a receptionist job and like you had applied for over 100 jobs! and her hubby had been working as a handyman, but has just landed himself a brickie job...Keep positive, it will happen! I'm up your way, so will keep an ear out for anything.

everything crossed xxx

hi there,

my friend was in the same position as you...her hubby is a brickie, another trade which is struggling. And she wanted an admin type job....

both were looking like a no go...however, 4 months in, she has landed herself a receptionist job and like you had applied for over 100 jobs! and her hubby had been working as a handyman, but has just landed himself a brickie job...Keep positive, it will happen! I'm up your way, so will keep an ear out for anything.

everything crossed xxx

Oh thank you that would be great if you hear of anything, just noticed your from Quinns, not far from us!

Yes were trying to stay positive ive just applied for another couple of jobs on seek.com, just scared that we may not be able to pay our rent as the funds are dramaticaly going, at least if im working we will then have regular money.

Hope something comes up soon.

Hayley

where are you then? how have you settled in?

if you ever need a cuppa/moan, feel free to pm me xxx

Yes that would be great thanks.

Were in Butler. Weve settled in great & the kids have 2, once we get the jobs sorted we should be fine but its just so stressful isnt it?

Guest edwardsfamily

glad you've settled in ok... its stressful when you arrive anyway, without the worry you have.

how old are you kids? and they at butler primary?

fingers crossed for you all...its definately who you know here!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest hyltonmorgan

Hi.me and my family are thinking of moving to perth and just wondering about work ...she is a Hair stylist of 12 years and works for her self i have just getting my nvq level2 in plastering and also have my lgv2 licence...would there be work for us in perth

Hi.me and my family are thinking of moving to perth and just wondering about work ...she is a Hair stylist of 12 years and works for her self i have just getting my nvq level2 in plastering and also have my lgv2 licence...would there be work for us in perth

Hi pal, got my visa as plasterer on a 176, i jgot back in may/june and in comparison to here there is a lot of work,however it was interesting that over there in perth it is solid coat and not dot and dab like here ,also the base coat is sand cement render so hard work. Last i heard hairdressers were off the skills in demand but you could check.When i submitted my application i had toi have several years work experience proof along with references from employers etc so unsure where you will go from here ,lots of advice on the forum and someone will likely indicate hairdressers situation later,you could check Aus gov site for skills list its easy to find, good luck

• 4 months later...