So how much is a beer in Oz

Guest Andy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony I am a married lady :eek:

and.......you started throwing the .....gay word around......im just fighting my corner ....and the best way in these games is to shock you :shocked:.......now about that drink ......think you owe me a carton .........:yes:

The price of beer is disturbing me a bit, although I knew it was high before I arrived! So far it's been $8 (about a fiver) a pint in a cheapish Perth city centre bar and two pints cost me $18.50 in a bar in Freo. Not a sustainable habit if you are living off UK earnings (as I am for a while) but once you are earning $ I think (hope) it will be fine! Prices are high in general if you compare them to UK prices. Bought two handbaskets of pretty frugal food and it came to $125!

The price of beer is disturbing me a bit, although I knew it was high before I arrived! So far it's been $8 (about a fiver) a pint in a cheapish Perth city centre bar and two pints cost me $18.50 in a bar in Freo. Not a sustainable habit if you are living off UK earnings (as I am for a while) but once you are earning $ I think (hope) it will be fine! Prices are high in general if you compare them to UK prices. Bought two handbaskets of pretty frugal food and it came to $125!

ok .so if im earning $38 per hr that about £26 does that make the pint of beer sound cheaper .......its just a matter of getting use to it ....it took me/us to stop converting the currency about 2 and a half yrs ..now we very rarely compare ....its probs the best thing to get out of your system asap .......

ok .so if im earning $38 per hr that about £26 does that make the pint of beer sound cheaper .......its just a matter of getting use to it ....it took me/us to stop converting the currency about 2 and a half yrs ..now we very rarely compare ....its probs the best thing to get out of your system asap .......
38 an hour? what you work as?:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest futuretaipan

$2.50 a pot during happy hour in 'The Telegraph' in Numurkah, Northern Vic... nice Carlton Draught... normal price, $3.80 a pop...

now I´m not saying I´ve got a lot of experience on buying beeri in Oz:wink: but so far, have found adelaide the most expensive...

Carlton 4.50 on happy hour and generally 6$ with most beers 5$ on HH and 6-7$ normally.

Moved to Sydney last week......and wow...

Carlton 3$ in Kings Cross (happy hour...) 5$ normally, but also, Bondi Beach is only 3.50$.

Who said sydney was expensive...... I´ve just moved from Dubai and this is great!!

Guest RichB

Beer in my neck of the woods is $ 9 a pint so I never go out and drink, and the beer is crap aswell......So wine for me, Im no longer a beer drinker in Oz as I cant stomach the pisswater here..

Guest sh7t man no way

i didnt pub much in oz andy--but i found the cartons of beer rather expensive-i drunk toheeys new,and it wuz about 48 dollars for 30/375 mill--wines cheap though--i would have thought at your age you would be asking how much horlicks or tea bags cost:wink:ave a great time mate:jiggy:

Guest Hatton
Beer in my neck of the woods is $ 9 a pint so I never go out and drink, and the beer is crap aswell......So wine for me, Im no longer a beer drinker in Oz as I cant stomach the pisswater here..

:embarrassed: is that $9 a pint or a schooner, that is blumin expensive, where do you drink.? agree with the beer being crap though, the beer in cornwall is nectar.

Guest RichB

Thats $9 a pint in Perth mate..what a rip off...You cant beat UK beer thats for sure..which is real beer..Even the little creatures beer they make here tastes nothing like real ale and thats supposed to be the best here...

Guest DaneD
Tasmania make some excellent beers RichB

yeah, i think theres some pretty decent aussie beers, matilda bay, james squires etc etc

Guest RichB

Yes Suzie..some of the Tassie beer is okay..but I still get a raging hangover from it..I suppose it must be the preservatives they put in the beer....What iam talking about is real ale which I have trouble finding in Oz...In England we call real ale beer and ozzie type beer we call lager...

Guest siamsusie
Yes Suzie..some of the Tassie beer is okay..but I still get a raging hangover from it..I suppose it must be the preservatives they put in the beer....What iam talking about is real ale which I have trouble finding in Oz...In England we call real ale beer and ozzie type beer we call lager...

So many of the Breweries are not using preservatives Rich.

Ironhouse Brewery a great place to stay also and the Beer is wonderful.. no hangovers!

I stayed here in January and certainly had a few beers!

Located at White Sands Estate, IronHouse Point where the first ironclad house on Tasmania’s East Coast was built.

The area is synonymous with farming, fishing, beach holidays, surfing and its pristine environment. They say that when the wind blows from the southeast, the waves grow and the surfies all head to the IronHouse.

Water, mountains and forest surround us and provide inspiration in our endeavours to create the finest quality handcrafted brews to quench your thirst. We only use the finest of traditional ingredients, water from our own natural spring, no preservatives, no additives, just pure flavoursome Tasmanian beer... Enjoy!

A great place Rich to enhance your "Positive" thoughts rather than your "Negative" ones.

Many real ale preservative free places on this island..

http://2mt.com.au/

They do all use alcohol which is an excellent preservative. May be that is what is giving RichB the hangover?

Anyways, I love(d) a pint of real ale. I suspect it is a slowly dying art in the UK though, and folk in Australia often prefer something cold and refreshing, than something warm and tasty. If you know what I mean. Each to their own. I am going to slug some homebrew tonight - just can't work out whether the hit the Porter, the 80/-, the Bitter, or the Extra Special Bitter. Roll on home time!

They do all use alcohol which is an excellent preservative. May be that is what is giving RichB the hangover?

Anyways, I love(d) a pint of real ale. I suspect it is a slowly dying art in the UK though, and folk in Australia often prefer something cold and refreshing, than something warm and tasty. If you know what I mean. Each to their own. I am going to slug some homebrew tonight - just can't work out whether the hit the Porter, the 80/-, the Bitter, or the Extra Special Bitter. Roll on home time!

I think the real ale industry in the UK is actually expanding, as many pubs are closed down because the tenants cannot afford the "tied" conditions of the big breweries or the forced supply and prices of big brands.

I'm finding more and more often that if you go into a UK pub that's not restricted, the range of local ales is getting bigger and bigger as "micro-breweries" spring up.

My own local (West Midlands) currently has 3 beers they've brewed on the premises, as well as a rotating selection of local beers.....which would never have been the case a few years ago.

I think what's happened...the price of beer has been pushed up so high (it's basically water after all)....that's it now possible to make your own brews, undercut the big boys, and still make a little profit.

I think the real ale industry in the UK is actually expanding, as many pubs are closed down because the tenants cannot afford the "tied" conditions of the big breweries or the forced supply and prices of big brands.

I'm finding more and more often that if you go into a UK pub that's not restricted, the range of local ales is getting bigger and bigger as "micro-breweries" spring up.

My own local (West Midlands) currently has 3 beers they've brewed on the premises, as well as a rotating selection of local beers.....which would never have been the case a few years ago.

I think what's happened...the price of beer has been pushed up so high (it's basically water after all)....that's it now possible to make your own brews, undercut the big boys, and still make a little profit.

I agree with what you say about microbreweries and being in the West Midlands you are probably blessed with selection, which is great in my book. I do fear for the future though - I can't imagine those brought on alcopops, strong cider etc. will have a penchant in older age for a good brew.

My old man has to travel 20 miles by train to get to his local real ale outlet. It is a Witherspoon who can offer £1 pints of ale. He is a happy man with a £5 round for his mates.:jiggy: