A Case of Student visa, 885 and confusion!

Guest flippity

Guest flippity

A very short situation that has been bothering me for a while. I finished my undergraduate studies in Australia on a student visa last December and then enrolled in another course for the Feb semester 2011 (had to apply for another student visa which is now valid till March '12). I was proceeding with my 885 application procedures side by side and finally applied for migration in May.

Now I'm not exactly liking my current course and want to quit it. My main confusion is what would happen if I stop my studies? :unsure: From my little research on the Internet, I have heard that DIAC might cancel my student visa and thus I will be told to return back. If this happens, what would happen to my already lodged 885 visa application? Is there any way of me getting transferred to a Bridging Visa?

I really can't see myself continuing this course and paying so much amount of money for something I'm not liking. Any advice appreciated.

Guest Jane1991

So you have a BVA associated with 885 app. If you quit the uni , the student visa 573 will lapse and all you will be left with is BVA. You can work fulltime or travel within Aus. on BVA.

Best check with an agent, as anything can change if you have applied for another student visa after bridging visa A granted. Most of us aren't qualified to give advice about visas, as we aren't agents, and it's dangerous to give advice if not sure. Eg. can you study full time on bridging visa A? if you can then why would you need to re-apply for a student visa. I'm sure it's all on the web site, but better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Guest flippity
So you have a BVA associated with 885 app. If you quit the uni , the student visa 573 will lapse and all you will be left with is BVA. You can work fulltime or travel within Aus. on BVA.

Thanks, that is what it should be ideally. But you never know about DIAC!

I haven't dealt with any migration agent ever, will they answer my query if I shoot them an email? Or would it be better if I give DIAC a call directly?

Thanks, that is what it should be ideally. But you never know about DIAC!

I haven't dealt with any migration agent ever, will they answer my query if I shoot them an email? Or would it be better if I give DIAC a call directly?

My opinion is check with a reputable agent. We once did a test with DIAC, rang 3 times with the same scenario to do with student visa to PR. We had 3 totally conflicting answers!!! and ended up talking to a supervisor, who appeared to know less than us. There are several agents who post regularly on PIO. who might be able to advise you.

this is right, make sure you reinstate BVA on you 885 if you left the country after applying for 885.

Guest flippity

Talked to a Student Compliance Officer who explained in great details every option available. Summarising though, my student visa gets cancelled also cancelling the associated bridging visa of 885. Either I could complete the studies, fly back home or request cancellation of student visa -> get a bridging visa E and wait for my 885 result.