what happens to my luggage on a 2 day stopover in singapore

yumimumi

i know this is probably a daft question but, we are emigrating to sydney in october. flying with singapore airlines. when we check in at heathrow, obviously the cases go on the plane, but when we stopover in singapore for a couple of days before flying on to sydney. what happens to our cases. we dont obviously want them with us. our travel agent said we just tell the checkin desk at heathrow that we dont want our cases until we get to sydney. am just worried about where they will be sent while we are on our stopover.

am i just being daft or what.

nicola

i know this is probably a daft question but, we are emigrating to sydney in october. flying with singapore airlines. when we check in at heathrow, obviously the cases go on the plane, but when we stopover in singapore for a couple of days before flying on to sydney. what happens to our cases. we dont obviously want them with us. our travel agent said we just tell the checkin desk at heathrow that we dont want our cases until we get to sydney. am just worried about where they will be sent while we are on our stopover.

am i just being daft or what.

nicola

Hiya

I would think that as you will be having a "stop-over" rather than being "in-transit" you will have to take your luggage with you in Singapore.

Hiya

I would think that as you will be having a "stop-over" rather than being "in-transit" you will have to take your luggage with you in Singapore.

ohh noooo. i hope not, that will be a nightmare, 40kg luggage each and a 3 yr old. flamin eck. thanks anyway hun. x

ohh noooo. i hope not, that will be a nightmare, 40kg luggage each and a 3 yr old. flamin eck. thanks anyway hun. x

Cor blimey now that's not good! I'm not 100% sure but someone else may know. We are going to have a stop off at Singapore for about 4 days so would be interested to find out. I would be surprised if they onward shipped it though t be honest - sorry

:eek:

We stayed in Singapore on the way over for 2 nights also and flew with Singapore airlines. When we landed at Singapore (we had 9 cases) we got our luggage off and hung around for 3 hours then we were allowed to book in our cases 48 hours before take off for the flight to Brisbane so it worked well.

Guest guest36187

As it is a stop over u take your luggage with you. If u r in transit, it's different. It goes straight onto the next flight

Guest siamsusie

You can leave your luggage after checking through Immigration and Customs at Left Luggage.

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/facilities-and-services/baggage-services

Yes, you can leave your baggage at the Left Baggage counter located in all terminals. This service is available at:

Terminal 1

* Departure Transit Lounge East, Level 2

* Basement West, Public Area

Terminal 2

* Departure Transit Lounge South, Level 2

* Arrival Hall North, Public Area, Level 1

Terminal 3

* Departure Transit Lounge North

* Basement 2 South

If you have been allocated extra luggage allowances maybe keep a copy of the SIA's confirmation letter with you before checking in once again at Singapore.

• 1 month later...

So I'm a bit behind with this one but very useful topic and relevant as we are thinking of a stopover at the transit hotel at Singapore. Was looking at flights on the SA website earlier and one of them had a 14 hour stopover. Would this be classed as "transit" and so luggage would be checked all the way to Oz?

So I'm a bit behind with this one but very useful topic and relevant as we are thinking of a stopover at the transit hotel at Singapore. Was looking at flights on the SA website earlier and one of them had a 14 hour stopover. Would this be classed as "transit" and so luggage would be checked all the way to Oz?

I don't think so. You would need to check with the airline to be sure.

Personally I never find long stopovers useful. We have 3 or 4 hours usually, enough time to wander round, grab a shower, massage or use the pool. Get some internet time in (great amount of computers to use free of charge), check emails, drink a decent coffee and breath some fresh air. And for the kid he gets to use the play area and run some energy off. We just time our UK departure for a night flight first leg, then land late afternoon Singapore time and then get a 10pm or so flight out of Singapore (their timezone not GMT) to land in Aus around 7-8am. Hit the ground running after a snooze on the second leg and we are cope well.

Thanks. I'd rather do the same as you as I just want to get there but my husband wants to stop off for a decent sleep. Not that I think he'll get one with three young kids in tow!

Honestly, with our son the first leg he conked out for 8.5 hours. It was 10pm at night, he was knackered. We worked the flights to tie in with our bodyclocks and figured if our son was tired during the second leg he's sleep regardless. Which he did, for 4.5 hours. 3 hours of that leg he was awake for but that was the latter end and they were serving breakfast and that anyways. He was happy to be quiet and just watch the TV screen till they turned the lights up.

Guest siamsusie

Hi Clarkes,

There is a thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/117647-singapore-airlines-changi-airport-singapore-4.html.

Yes on a 14 hr flight stopover you can be classed as in Transit. Your baggage ex the Uk will be ticketed to Singapore and in Transit also... you will then proceed with your baggage to SA.

Susie

Guest siamsusie
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, love the other thread extremely helpful!

You are very welcome, have a wonderful flight over.

Susie x

If you have flights that has a 1 or 2 night stop over do you book seperate flights to the stop over then onwards from stop over to Oz or can you get one way flights that allow you a 1 or 2 night break ?

sorry that doesnt really make much sense does it.

But if it were seperate flights & bookings I'm thinking that would be more expensive ? (altho i've not checked it out)

Guest siamsusie
If you have flights that has a 1 or 2 night stop over do you book seperate flights to the stop over then onwards from stop over to Oz or can you get one way flights that allow you a 1 or 2 night break ?

sorry that doesnt really make much sense does it.

But if it were seperate flights & bookings I'm thinking that would be more expensive ? (altho i've not checked it out)

You get a 1 or 2 night stop over Lynn on one ticket . You have to do a wee bit of research to entail getting a good price.. People like Trailfinders are very helpful.

It actually is classed as 2 legs of the journey breaking it up, thereefore it can be more expensive... but there are some good deals around.

If you are wise, you can pack just enough for your stopover in hand luggage and leave the rest at the airport to avoid trailing it around.

Susie x

A couple of years ago we were booking flights via Trailfinders, and in the end found it cost less to have a stop-over (including hotel) in Hong Kong for 3 nights than just to fly... Cathay often have deals like that (so Jane @ their Canterbury office says) if you're happy flying with them. (I found them OK, but not as good as Emirates or Singapore)

Singapore would be my preference - then you know you've only got a short hop left afterwards!

** edit ** Singapore my preference as a location for stopover btw - just realised how confusing that was!!

Guest siamsusie
This is a great post . we fly in 28 days and have a stop over for 2 days one night in singapore .

brilliant info .!!!

I dont know whether you have seen it Wayne

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/117647-singapore-airlines-changi-airport-singapore.html

This gives you all the details outside of Singaproe as well

Have a wonderful flights

Susie